Flooded POTC boats

I saw/heard the big splash when people got wet on my boat Monday. Personally, I always just politely ask if I can please sit in the back. The back doesn't get wet. I have never been told no and remain completely dry every time! I rode front and my lap got soaked once. That was a one time lesson learned.

So would it behove Disney to post a big sign saying "caution you may/will get wet riding"? And would it make any difference?

You know, I was thinking....

If they would just drill a little hole in the bottom of each boat, the water that gets in from the plunge would be able to run out.

Surprised nobody at WDW thought of that yet. :teacher:

So if you went to the Magic Kingdom one evening expecting to stay for 3-4 hours, and you are wearing a long sleeved shirt because it is cool out, you'd be completely fine with being unexpectedly drenched? Is that some bizarre Disney magic that would make you feel good about being soaked and freezing cold now? Giving them something dry to wear was absolutely the right thing for them to do. If Disney does not want to furnish dry clothes, then they either need to fix this ride or reset expectations. If this has now become a water ride like Splash or Kali, then tell people you WILL get wet. I was there and saw how wet these people were...the teenage girl was shivering she was so cold.

No, I don't think its ok for them to be unexpectedly drenched. The answer is: fix the ride, and stop loading the boats so full. i agree Disney needs to fix it - that was my point. Because if every person who gets quite wet complains and gets new dry clothes from the gift shop, that's going to get expensive in a hurry.

I did actually get that wet and cold on my visit - because it poured rain while waiting for the fireworks. And I had a poncho. Now while Disney can't control the weather, it was still just water. If I was that cold I didn't have to stay. I just don't want to see that become a trend, I guess.

No, I don't think its ok for them to be unexpectedly drenched. The answer is: fix the ride, and stop loading the boats so full. i agree Disney needs to fix it - that was my point. Because if every person who gets quite wet complains and gets new dry clothes from the gift shop, that's going to get expensive in a hurry.

I did actually get that wet and cold on my visit - because it poured rain while waiting for the fireworks. And I had a poncho. Now while Disney can't control the weather, it was still just water. If I was that cold I didn't have to stay. I just don't want to see that become a trend, I guess.

I imagine you'd feel different if it was cold out. It does get cold in Florida. Or if you had dinner planned at a nice restaurant soon after the ride.

Guests can watch the weather forecast and have some degree of control over being ready for a downpour. Not so in a ride that has never before been known as a "water ride".

And I'd take rain water over stale nasty boat ride water on me any day.

Last edited:

It's not just water for a couple of reasons...
1) There is no height requirement. Somewhere on this thread someone said their baby got drenched. That's crazy. 2) I do not believe that water is being treated like the water is treated and filtered in real water rides. Someone correct me otherwise if you have information to the contrary. 3) Slip and fall hazards because it wasn't designed as a water ride

If anybody remembers, one of the things that doomed River Country was exactly the problem of water treatment.

So would it behove Disney to post a big sign saying "caution you may/will get wet riding"? And would it make any difference?

I believe they already have that sign up.

The sign is definitely up (at the entrance to the ride)

When I mentioned to the POTC cast member *there is a ongoing discussion

on a internet forum*about people getting soaked on POTC* . . she pointed out the sign . .

to which *I suggested* they might consider changing the wording from *chance of getting wet*

to *chance of getting soaked* . . she was not humored.

BTW we *Did Not* get wet in the back row of the boat.

The *back row is narrower and will only seat a maximum 3 pirates.

There was no standing water in the bottom of the boat . . but it was not dry (semi damp)

We were *POTC Fastpass* so we loaded from the *right hand side of the boat* (starboard)

*not sure if that is a part of the equation* But the cast member *Did Not* pack the boat like sardines.

Last edited:
You know, I was thinking....

If they would just drill a little hole in the bottom of each boat, the water that gets in from the plunge would be able to run out.

Surprised nobody at WDW thought of that yet. :teacher:
You ARE joking right?!
You do know that the boat is actually freefloating though the guide track for most of the ride.
Floating being the operative word. Holes would be counter-productive to the "floating" and be more conducive to "sinking"

You ARE joking right?!
You do know that the boat is actually freefloating though the guide track for most of the ride.
Floating being the operative word. Holes would be counter-productive to the "floating" and be more conducive to "sinking"

At least that poster is trying to come up with an idea. Not all ideas are going to be winners, but it's better than sitting here getting completely drenched if we try to ride POTC.

I think they should have huge heat fans (think hand dryers in the public bathrooms but full body sized) at the end of the ride so you can stand in front of it and get dried off.

Or maybe they can add a windshield to the front of the boats to protect the front row.

Or just drain all the water from the ride and add wheels to the bottom of the boats.

See, we need more ideas on how to fix this thing, we don't need to point out that drilling holes in the bottom of the boat would sink the boats.

You ARE joking right?!
+1 thought the same thing

Holes in boats may not be a great idea...

But: Why not fit a little Bilge Pump to the bottom of the boat, so the standing water gets pumped out as soon as it enters the boat? Most real boats have a bilge pump for this same reason...

At least that poster is trying to come up with an idea. Not all ideas are going to be winners, but it's better than sitting here getting completely drenched if we try to ride POTC.

I think they should have huge heat fans (think hand dryers in the public bathrooms but full body sized) at the end of the ride so you can stand in front of it and get dried off.

Or maybe they can add a windshield to the front of the boats to protect the front row.

Or just drain all the water from the ride and add wheels to the bottom of the boats.

See, we need more ideas on how to fix this thing, we don't need to point out that drilling holes in the bottom of the boat would sink the boats.

See?

Now we're getting somewhere! :cool1:

It took 34 pages, but we finally have some plans!

You know these two things are really great ideas. An amusement park near us actually has the big dryer you stand in with your family outside a water ride. They charge $5.00 to dry off. Disney could make a fortune. And a tiny windshield could save a lot of water from coming in while not really being in the way.

Last edited:

They have those big fans at Islands of Adventure,right outside the flume ride. However, there is a fee to dry off. They do seem to work tho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter