Flooded POTC boats

why would you close it immediately if they have not yet determined what the exact problem is and how to resolve it. I am sure its not dangerous to ride POTC, although you may get wet or even soaked. But they have to determined the root cause and what needs to be done to fix it.

Well, that is the exact reason they should close it. If they close it, they can find the exact problem and how to resolve it. Seems so basic to me. And it IS dangerous. Reports of the boat severely listing to one side while ones feet are submerged in water is not enjoyable or safe. There are numerous reports of extremely wet off ramps, it's a disaster waiting to happen. One bad fall from an elderly, disabled, heck even an able-bodied person could get very hurt.

There are obviously big problems, and it is crazy to me to keep it open. There are multiple reports of the ride shutting down, people being stuck for 30-45 mins on the rede, having the entire boat of people rock back and forth to dislodge the boat........If this is acceptable for Disney, that just leaves me shaking my head. CLOSE IT DOWN DISNEY AND FIX IT!

Adding my report to the pile. We were there Monday and it was around 4 pm when we rode. Two adults, two kids. We got row 4. There was a small amount of water on the floor - mostly about a half inch puddle on my side (kids were between us). The boat was listing to the right quite a bit - my hubby was on that side and got more wet than I but still not much. We did however get stuck in a big line of boats at Jack Sparrow. Not for long, maybe 2-3 minutes if that. But they definitely were sticking there as even when we started moving it was jerky and with pauses.

There was a CM checking boats for water afterwards, she dipped her shoes in the boats and had a flashlight to check.

Yeah, that's where we were held, too. The only incidence of being rammed by the boat behind was right on the corner, and I prepared for it by sitting forward so my back didn't get jolted. But there was a bit of teeth-aching scraping noises as the corner of the boat behind scraped against the rear of our boat while we inched forward round that corner into the run straight and into view of the treasure room.

If they close it, they can find the exact problem and how to resolve it.
I don't know precisely what information they need to resolve it, or whether that information is better obtained from a closed ride or a video of lots of guests of various sizes, with various seating positions.

But I'm pretty sure that the "how to resolve it" part will be done at the desks of some engineers, possibly with a shop that models solutions (though these days, computer simulations may be more likely). They might need some short closures to test it, but there's no particular benefit to closing it while it's being analyzed in the Imagineering department (other than the liability risks some people have mentioned).

My DH and a friend rode a few nights ago. 4th row. He said there was water in the bottom and they both had wet shirts at the end (not completely soaked). I got a different perspective while waiting at the exit. A mom and her children got off the ride. They were soaked. The kids asked for things from the gift shop and she replied "Nothing from here because I now hate this ride". I wonder if the gift shop is as busy?? LOL

I don't know precisely what information they need to resolve it, or whether that information is better obtained from a closed ride or a video of lots of guests of various sizes, with various seating positions.

But I'm pretty sure that the "how to resolve it" part will be done at the desks of some engineers, possibly with a shop that models solutions (though these days, computer simulations may be more likely). They might need some short closures to test it, but there's no particular benefit to closing it while it's being analyzed in the Imagineering department (other than the liability risks some people have mentioned).

IMO there is obviously a glaring problem that needs to be fixed. It is simply not safe, and it is frustrating for guests to be sitting with their feet submerged in water while listing to the side, then get stuck and rammed from a boat behind them. I am surprised some feel like, "meh, keep it open, see what happens, someones probably looking into it and it will get fixed at some point. Eventually. Or when someone gets hurt, whatever."

I just think they should shut it down until the problem is identified and fixed, no matter how long it takes. It seems reckless to keep it open when it is obviously malfunctioning. As a pp said, we are not guinea pigs.

I've been told that Disneyland ordered some new boats for their ride but they didn't like them and these boats ended up in WDW. This whole situation seems beyond strange and Disney is looking less and less like they care about anything but money. This is bad show and bad service and even if safety isn't actually a concern, if people feel like the situation is unsafe then that's enough.

I'll miss this ride.

We rode mid-morning on 11/17 with much apprehension. We were relieved when they placed us in the back row, but the amount of standing water that was in the boat was definitely unpleasant. Hard to say exactly how much since it changes as it sloshes around, but I'd say a couple inches. Since we were in the back, it would all come rushing back to us depending on how the boat moved, resulting in several inches at times - our feet were soaked. Luckily we both knew to expect this and were in sandals, but it's still not a pleasant feeling having all that cold water hit your feet!

Our boat was also listing heavily to port, and it was definitely not overloaded. Didn't look like it was unevenly loaded either. My mother and I were the only two in the back row, so when we noticed how much it was listing we both scooched over to the opposite side in hopes that we could help even it out, but it had no noticeable effect.

I did also notice how wet the ramp was, like many others have noted. I will say that it did not feel slippery at all, but it was wet enough to make me worry about slipping. I guess it is more "grippy" than it looks though.

All in all we considered ourselves lucky to not get drenched, but the standing water was unpleasant and the significant list was a little unsettling!

Yeah, that's where we were held, too. The only incidence of being rammed by the boat behind was right on the corner, and I prepared for it by sitting forward so my back didn't get jolted. But there was a bit of teeth-aching scraping noises as the corner of the boat behind scraped against the rear of our boat while we inched forward round that corner into the run straight and into view of the treasure room.

That has happened for years and years. I consider it very lucky if we don't get rammed at that spot.

Have they started selling bilge pumps in the gift shop yet?
31YyJFg8pYL._AA160_.jpg

Just curious and this is probably a dumb question I should know the answer to...BUT...what should we do if we experience this? Seems like complaining to CMs doesn't get anyone very far. Phone number? Guest services? Just curious if there's any sort of process when something like this really needs to be addressed.

***Never mind, I just read back several pages and saw what I needed.***

Last edited:
Add in that the water is all going to flow to the front during the drop. Just consider that if the floor of the boat is something like 15'L by 8'W for 120sqft. then with just a single inch of water in it would be about 600lbs of water flowing to the front during the drop. That is adding ~3 adults worth of weight to the front of the boat at a point closer to the bow than the first row is. I suspect the drenching wave may in part be the water in the boat splashing up off the front of the interior when it rushes to the front during the drop. I'd suggest riding it early in the day before water accumulates and compounds any issues.

6" isn't happening as that would be approximately 60 cuft of water and would weigh over 3500lbs. Cubic foot of water = 62.4lbs

Our boat was also listing heavily to port, and it was definitely not overloaded. Didn't look like it was unevenly loaded either. My mother and I were the only two in the back row, so when we noticed how much it was listing we both scooched over to the opposite side in hopes that we could help even it out, but it had no noticeable effect...

Have they started selling bilge pumps in the gift shop yet?
31YyJFg8pYL._AA160_.jpg
Something has caused the boats to take on water - reengineered drop, redesigned boats, whatever. And once the boat takes on water there's a 600 lb gorilla in the form of water sloshing fore to aft & back, port to starboard & back in the boat with you. So even if your particular boat is filled with skinny marathon runners and small children that inch or two or three of water is adding a lot of weight to the boat and concentrating it where weight shouldn't concentrate causing boats to list and take on even more water adding more weight and even occassionally become stuck.
Larryz - brilliant marketing, may I suggest rather than bilge pumps in the gift shop after the ride that a kiosk selling pumps be located near the entry to the line?

Last edited:
I rode with my kids first thing Thursday morning and I don't think anyone in our boat got wet, but they left the first and last rows empty. I did notice the boat leaning to the left though.

It's going to really suck seeing this ride. The only times I've been really miserable at disney is when my feet are wet because they get chewed up even if I head to get somethign to dry them off. You can only walk so far with wet shoes and socks without impacting your feet. I dont' want to carry a change of clothes and shoes just to ride pirates.

It's only a matter of time until we see a machine pop up at the exit of the attraction to dry guests off for a nominal fee of $5, similar to Universal. That would be the type of response I could see the 'new' Disney having.
At least Universal is very upfront as to which rides will get people wet. Plus I don't remember one that changed from a dry ride to a water ride. But I do agree that the drying machine is probably inevitable.

Rode in the last row last night,granted we were already damp from rain, but the boat was dry and no noticeable splashing at all. Full boat,some 'grown sized' people in the middle rows..... No problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter