Flooded POTC boats

If I wanted to get get wet, I'd go to one of the water parks. This is not a water park. Next thing you know they'll be adding a waterfall to It's a Small World. Will be there in January. Soaring, Space and Splash Mountain closed, and now this.

So you don't go on Splash Mountain? Kali River Rapids? It is fine if you don't but there is the answer. Avoid any ride you "may" get wet on. The problem being sometimes you get wet, sometimes you don't. But for a long time Disney has had wet rides in the main theme parks.

So you don't go on Splash Mountain? Kali River Rapids? It is fine if you don't but there is the answer. Avoid any ride you "may" get wet on. The problem being sometimes you get wet, sometimes you don't. But for a long time Disney has had wet rides in the main theme parks.

I've been on POTC many, many times in the past and it's always been a great family ride for all ages in all types of weather. I just don't agree with the logic above. It is a ride on the water but has never been what would be considered a water ride. At most there might have been a small splash as others indicated. I'm so disappointed to be hearing these reports and have cancelled one of my FastPasses since I had it planned for the few preMVMCP hours and I don't want to risk spending the night of the party in a soggy state.:guilty::boat:

Okay...

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why don't the boats properly drain? Standing water wasn't a problem for a long, long time. Now it clearly is.

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why isn't the part that soaks you at the end so that you go dry out in the Florida sun instead of shivering through an entire cold, dark ride?

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why are the boats listing and leaving people sitting at an angle ankle deep in water?

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why are the boats getting stuck on the track so that they have to turn up the house lights and have riders sway back and forth to get it dislodged?

I don't know why it's so hard for some people to admit that the ride is NOT functioning properly. :confused3

Just an update that we rode Sunday and didn't get wet (we were in the middle of the boat). Also, they didn't pack us in - we only had DH & I in our row and the row behind us only had one person. Maybe they're moving away from that? (Hopefully - last time I went a few weeks ago they were cramming 4 in every row).

With the leaders worrying more about hitting the attraction's targeted guest count per hour lately to maximize capacity, I wouldn't count on a smaller passenger load unless someone gets hurt and it generates some negative publicity, unfortunately. Other than that, I'd recommend riding before it gets a chance to accumulate water throughout the day and prior to some of the groupers getting overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Okay...

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why don't the boats properly drain? Standing water wasn't a problem for a long, long time. Now it clearly is.

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why isn't the part that soaks you at the end so that you go dry out in the Florida sun instead of shivering through an entire cold, dark ride?

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why are the boats listing and leaving people sitting at an angle ankle deep in water?

If it was meant to be the soaking mess it is now, why are the boats getting stuck on the track so that they have to turn up the house lights and have riders sway back and forth to get it dislodged?

I don't know why it's so hard for some people to admit that the ride is NOT functioning properly. :confused3

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

But Kali Rapids is the only one you expect to get soaked on. That's the ride. To answer your question, I do not go on Kali rapids and I have only been slightly splashed on splash mountain. I have not had one drop fall on me on POTC. I have never been or want to be soaked. I am not wearing a swim suit, I have to walk around all day and I cannot do that if I'm soaking wet. I just don't get this attraction with getting your guests wet . As I said before, this is not a water park. I have been to water parks many times. They're great, but I'm dressed for it and I don't have to walk around all day and then go do dinner in wet clothes.

Last edited:

I do not ride Splash or Kali. I don't like getting wet.

For a long time, Disney had it where PotC did not get you wet. So if all of a sudden everyone started getting wet and stepping into a boat with 3" of water on the bottom of It's a Small World, that'd be ok? It's a problem and they should fix it.

Last edited:

There's a big difference between going on a water ride and getting soaked on something that has never been a water ride in 40+ years of operation. The first is by design; the second is a malfunction.

I've been going to WDW for a very long time and this isn't normal for Pirates. Maybe Disney wants it to be the new normal but it isn't the way things have been for a long time.

We will be there during a potentially chilly time and I at least feel forewarned now. Plus I dislike the reports of boats listing to one side. That is weird.

We've ridden POTC since the 1970s and understand that on occasion you can get wet from an "exploding" cannon ball. However, we do not appreciate entering a boat with several inches of standing water. And with CMs packing the boats, they tend to list to one side. As a result, the water concentrates on one side. Today, nearly a half foot of water was concentrated on the port side of our boat. We were in row six, which can handle three adults. But a CM packed the row with four people. Wet socks, shoes, etc. were the result. Note: Prior to boarding, a Napoleonic CM shouted: "Remove all back packs. Place them and all purses on the floor." We did not comply since our items would have been damaged. In an effort to shorten wait times on POTC, WDW is making the attraction experience uncomfortable, to say the least.

[spelling edit]
This is a terrible experience for visitors! At Disneyland (in California), the CMs do NOT pack the boats. Therfore, the water doesn't flood over the sides as your description indicates at WDW.

Sorry, but it's NOT a water ride, it's a BOAT ride. I get in a boat when I want to go on the water and don't want to get wet.

If I wanted to get wet, I'd (a) be in a bathing suit, and/or (b) swim.
The ferry is on the water, too...hope I'm not on there if a wave comes over the bow :(

Agree, just because I'm in a boat doesn't mean I'm looking to get soaked. If a Disney wants to give us a new Pirate themed water ride, super. Just don't take away something that virtually everyone can enjoy to do it.

I've been thinking that the evolution of the ride went something like this:

Park Management:
We need half a billion dollars for more rides in the MK.

VP in charge of purse strings: Nonsense, you have a bunch of great rides already that are underutilized.

Junior Imagineer (still wet behind the ears):
I have a great idea that won't cost a cent.

PM and VP: Really, what?

JI: We just tell the PotC crew to front load the boats, the guests all scream when they get soaked at the bottom of the first big drop, and we promote is as the indoor, dark version of Splash Mountain

PM: I love it, instant thrill ride!
VP: I love it, it's free!

PM and VP: Any more of these wonderful ideas?

JI: Sure. Remove the windows on the monorail, so the lower weight will save on electricity. Remove the speed governors on the Tommorrowland Speedway, and we'll get some real speed out of them. Restore Alien Encounter, but move the Stitch animatronics to infest the Carousel of Progress.

My DW and I are planning a trip in Jan 2017. We have ridden POTC back in 2013 and did not get wet at all. We aren't really to concerned, just like small world, you have to ride it! I guess we will pack our fishing waders lol.

I've been thinking that the evolution of the ride went something like this:

Park Management:
We need half a billion dollars for more rides in the MK.

VP in charge of purse strings: Nonsense, you have a bunch of great rides already that are underutilized.

Junior Imagineer (still wet behind the ears):
I have a great idea that won't cost a cent.

PM and VP: Really, what?

JI: We just tell the PotC crew to front load the boats, the guests all scream when they get soaked at the bottom of the first big drop, and we promote is as the indoor, dark version of Splash Mountain

PM: I love it, instant thrill ride!
VP: I love it, it's free!

PM and VP: Any more of these wonderful ideas?

JI: Sure. Remove the windows on the monorail, so the lower weight will save on electricity. Remove the speed governors on the Tommorrowland Speedway, and we'll get some real speed out of them. Restore Alien Encounter, but move the Stitch animatronics to infest the Carousel of Progress.

Not sure if the pun was intended, but it amused me. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter