Flooded POTC boats

Okay, so phones/camera in zip-locs in backpack with ponchos and change of socks, and schedule FP+ for just before we leave for break at resort. Good to know! Can't miss POTC!

The initial post on this thread was primarily concerned with several inches of standing water which became higher when the boat listed to one side. And this condition resulted from boarding, not the ride in motion. It got worse as the ride progressed. It was an unacceptable situation. Additional posts were concerned about the excessive soaking, especially in the first row. Again, POTC was never initially designed to soak anyone. Some drops from a "cannon" splash? Perhaps. Maybe something minor from the drop (alas, the old skull and crossbones warning about "rough waters ahead" was removed years ago) but not like the ride's present experience.

Can someone describe this "6 inches of water" on the floor phenomenon?

Splash never has inches of water on the floor. The few times I've ridden Kali it hasn't had inches of water on the floor. How does Pirates get "inches of water" on the floor? How do they empty the water out of the boats at the end of the day? Do you sit there with your feet in 4 inches of water for the entire 20 minutes? Do you take off your shoes and socks? I need more details.

I would bet that the Splash logs and the Kali boats have drainage holes. As Pirates is not meant to be a ride that soaks you, I would bet the Pirates boats do not have drainage holes.

The initial post on this thread was primarily concerned with several inches of standing water which became higher when the boat listed to one side. And this condition resulted from boarding, not the ride in motion. It got worse as the ride progressed. .

I'm pretty sure the water was already there from the splash on the ride, but that as the first person boards that rows and the boat lists to one side until the people on the other side are all in and balance it out, the water level gets higher temporarily on that one side. I was first in and I think that happened to me. I think we were in about an inch of standing water which pooled on my side and got higher as I boarded and then evened out as everyone got settled.

It's off my list. Won't ride it.

Aw- it's such a great ride. I would just insist on the rows farther back. Maybe if you ride it earlier in the day the bottom of the boat won't be as wet because the water will not have accumulated as much for the day yet.

I'm pretty sure the water was already there from the splash on the ride said:
The listing remained throughout our ride. As a result, the level of the standing water was considerably higher on the starboard side. The water level inside the boat increased after the drop.

I realize that not everyone gets a soaking, but I don't even want to risk being "destroyed" by water. I like Pirates, but I'm not going to risk being drenched to experience it.

Maybe if I was a huge fan I'd take the chance. But if was a "huge" fan I'd add excessive weight to the boat and guarantee a drenching!

I'll just stick with Jungle Cruise where there's no risk of wetness.
Oh no, the jungle cruise is on water, so expect to get very wet, after all it's a "water ride". (sarcasm if you haven't noticed:)

There have been cases where some guests and Cast Members have become soaked upon getting blasted by the water coming from the elephant's trunk at Jungle Cruise when the skipper doesn't suspend ride motion at the proper moment or an unusual condition occurs. ;)

I don't care if there is a sign now that you might get wet. I don't want to get wet so I'll happily avoid this ride now. And someone trolling on this thread won't change my mind.

Yea, planogirl, I thought someone was "trolling" too, so I came back with some sarcasm....................

We just rode on Sunday - sat in the second or third row, two adults and a lap infant. I didn't notice if the boat was overloaded (was during the first hour, so it was a walk on).

The drop did seem to have a greater splash than in the past though. I did remember getting a couple drops in the past, but this was a more significant amount of water (not drenched, but more than a couple drops). DS 1 1/2 has fine with the drop in the dark, but getting hit with the water scared the you-know-what out of him.

Also, there was no standing water at the beginning, but there were a few inches by my feet by the end. I've been going to WDW for over 30 years, and this was the first time I've ever experienced standing water on this ride.

Not that accomodating. When you are only two of you, they make your ride with strangers. They won't let you ride with just your party of two like you used to be able to do. Those seats don't really seat four people well and I find it wrong that I have to be pressed up against a strangers hips on a ride. I don't even like sitting four across with my family of four and we used to say that we were two groups of two...no longer an option.
^^This exactly as our experience. We rode on Oct 6 (MNSSHP night). CM directed us to row 4, where there were already 2 adults. We asked to switch rows (as we're both Pooh-sized), but CM said no. (We didn't think to ask to wait for the next boat). CM filled the boat completely...so the "sardine packing" look certainly applied. I'd read on the Boards since the last refurb getting wet was now possible, so I was glad to not be in the front row. There was some water on the floor & seats, so I chose to hold onto our bags (party night goodies and other personal items), and I'm glad I did. Now, I was sure my Pooh size was helping our boat list a bit, but I was astounded to see the WAVE of water that came up and onto the front row of guests as we went down the drop. Shrieks all around ensued. And now the boat had standing water in it once it leveled. The ride, of course, got stuck near the end (we were about the 4th boat back from the end), but I don't think it was down for a significant time that night.

And, to note, the drop was changed during the last refurb (see item #3 in article below). Nothing major, but apparently enough that uneven weight distribution in the boat can create a "splash" per the article: http://www.****************.com/news/20150926/30564/5-amazing-changes-pirates-caribbean (Apologies if I'm not supposed to link to an article; Mods please remove if needed.)

Overall I'd agree with many of the posters. You may get wet on POTC. You may get REALLY wet. I'm not sure this is clear at the outset of the ride, given for 30+ years you maybe got limited splash from the drop or cannon fire. CMs may or may not be overloading boats / be accommodating / be allowing for 'wet' or 'not wet' choices. Your feet and/or seat may be dry at the beginning but there's no guarantee it will be after your ride. Timing of day may well be a factor.

Not a rant and not an apologist on this topic. Just grateful for the DIS for allowing readers to share their experiences/concerns.

At Splash Mountain: It's called Splash Mountain. If that's not enough for you, it's clear as day what you are getting into because it happens outside and everyone can see. Plus, I believe there are signs with a bunny absolutely dripping wet.
'

There are multiple signs with Brer Rabbit (and sometimes pals) in the middle of waves of water throughout the queue.

This is the one right before you are assigned a flume. Daughter is rolling her eyes because, besides being a teenager here, how could anyone NOT know this at this point?

Splash%2B2010b.JPG

Not so, POTC.

We rode most recently on 10/3 (right before the start of our Halloween party night) and the boats were very full. We got lucky -- in the back and center -- and still had to duck over the camera to keep it from getting heavily splashed. We were wetter than we'd ever been on PoTC and from reports, were lucky we were seated where we were. We weren't in costume and had quick dry clothes on, so it wasn't of a problem for us, but the folks in the front getting out (and we had a wait to get through the backlog of boats stuck near Jack) were drenched. No thanks.

Yea, planogirl, I thought someone was "trolling" too, so I came back with some sarcasm....................

Not trolling at all and it was clear this was about me. I was pointing it out for people who were saying they don't mind getting wet if there is a warning. There is now a warning on the new signs so I posted that. I even looked for a photo but the only one I could find was from a website we aren't allowed to link to.

Look I think it is something that could be fixed but I also said the issue right now is boats need to be lighter because people are heavier and the old boats were getting stuck but now the boats are lighter and jets are up higher so it is getting guests soaked. I don't think it is as easy as a solution as people think.

There have been cases where some guests and Cast Members have become soaked upon getting blasted by the water coming from the elephant's trunk at Jungle Cruise when the skipper doesn't suspend ride motion at the proper moment or an unusual condition occurs. ;)
We always get caught under the back side of water for our Jungle Cruise showers. :P

I wonder why it has been down so much lately? I wonder if it's the water issue or something else.

Not trolling at all and it was clear this was about me. I was pointing it out for people who were saying they don't mind getting wet if there is a warning. There is now a warning on the new signs so I posted that. I even looked for a photo but the only one I could find was from a website we aren't allowed to link to.

Look I think it is something that could be fixed but I also said the issue right now is boats need to be lighter because people are heavier and the old boats were getting stuck but now the boats are lighter and jets are up higher so it is getting guests soaked. I don't think it is as easy as a solution as people think.
It wasn't about you. At least not in my case. :)

These reports have my hubby ready to skip it! And it's one of his favorites in the park! I'm trying to convince him to buy Keens or some other type of athletic "sandal" type shoe so he doesn't have to worry about wet sneakers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter