Flip Video camera

I recently purchased a flip video camera - it is small and easy so I thought it would be perfect for when we go to Disney World of a few weeks.
Is there anywhere in Disney world that we can download our video's while we are there?

Good question! Since the Flip looks like a drive when connected to a PC we would have to find a place that will transfer the files to a CD. The Kodak shops can download a memory card to a CD so I suppose they could do the same with a Flip *as long as the files all fit onto 700MB*. That would not be much video and the shops charge way too much $$$ for this service.

We carry a micro notebook PC (Asus Eee) to download files to. Asus, Dell, and others have tiny 2 pound PCs for less than $400, which is still expensive but it's another option (and you can view the videos on the PC).

Hi, i live in uk and am normally on DLP board.
I am after some advice quick!!

I can't decide on what affordable small camcorder to buy... there are a few

the sanyo xacti ca6
The flip video ultra
The flip video mino
and the Vado

I am aware that the picture is much better on the mino then the ultra... but there is no waterproof case for being in rain etc... and if going on holiday without laptop (i have a desktop pc) I wont be able to charge the lithium battery on the new mino will I?

I really cant decide...
I just want to use it for holidays to dlp, for school plays, birthdays etc....something I can use with one toddler on my hip etc and throw in my handbag after...if you see what i mean...

Any advide please???????????????

We don't seem to get many camcorder questions/answers or discussions on the photography board. When I was shopping for one, I found some discussions on the Budget Board.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the ones you mention.

We have a Flip Ultra and like it for what it is, a small, light, inexpensive video camera that is always ready to go in a few seconds. Video quality is ok, and surprisingly good in the dark. It even recorded much of Pirates of the Caribbean.
Our main focus (pun intended) is still photography so we don't need better quality for the "fun" videos we take. The ability to just pop 2 AA batteries in it is a plus for the way we use it.

Funny I just ran into this thread... I'm buying the flip tonight! I'm going for the mino - you can always buy the waterproof casing separately, so I wouldn't base my decision on that at all.
I've heard wonderful things about this little camera. And honestly, I just like little video clips here and there... I don't need anything past that.

Hi we're leaving in 20 days. I've asked this question before but didn't get many replies. I want to bring my flip video but don't know how I can empty it on a usb stick. Is there a spot I can do this? I don't want to bring my laptop so if I can access one I can take as many videos as I want & just empty it.

Hi we're leaving in 20 days. I've asked this question before but didn't get many replies. I want to bring my flip video but don't know how I can empty it on a usb stick. Is there a spot I can do this? I don't want to bring my laptop so if I can access one I can take as many videos as I want & just empty it.

Ask this on the DIS' "Photography Board." HERE.

I'm going to move this to the Photo board you may get better answer there.

You know, I have a Flip Mino and I don't know if you can do a direct transfer to a USB port. I took my laptop and emptied on there. Have you looked over their website or owners manual? It might have something there.

Plus, my Flip needs the computer to recharge, so it served dual duty. I really did enjoy having my Flip there. I love that little thing!

We have a Flip Ultra and afaik the data on the internal memory cannot be transferred to a USB stick without a computer. It is possible the data could be downloaded to one of the photo storage devices but I have not tried it.

We have an Asus Eee that works well for downloading the videos. It is not much larger then many of the photo storage devices and doesn't cost more than some of them.

As I posted in your last thread, there was yet another thread on this topic:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2057015

Scroll down to my post (#9). I link to the Memorex Travelsync, which is likely the only kind of thing on the market (I've never seen anything else like it). USB requires one device to manage the connection, and nobody makes an external hard drive than can do that (and the Flip, well, it doesn't include a SD slot so it definitely won't). If the Travelsync won't work, you need to either take a notebook PC, find a place locally that will let you transfer the video to a different storage device, or get a video camera without that storage limitation.

You could always get a cheap netbook, just make sure that it's compatible and has a USB port. They generally can be found for about $250.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but i didn't see it when i scrolled back a few pages. We just purchased a Flip video camera but don't plan on bringing a laptop to "dump" the footage onto. I can't find anywhere/anything online that would offer a portable storage solution. Anyone know of any? Or have any ideas?

I apologize if this has been posted before, but i didn't see it when i scrolled back a few pages. We just purchased a Flip video camera but don't plan on bringing a laptop to "dump" the footage onto. I can't find anywhere/anything online that would offer a portable storage solution. Anyone know of any? Or have any ideas?

easy answer. With generic flash costing $15-$20 for 8GB, just pick up a few of those.

Even on my HD Aiptek, I get 4 1/2 hours of recording to one 8GB card.

I don't think there is an external solution, honestly. At least, not one that I'm currently aware of!

However, you may want to re-think your laptop idea. My Flip Mino charges by USB off the computer source. You didn't mention which Flip you got, but I know the Mino and the HD Mino both need the computer to charge.

You are going to need at least a PC to dump the footage too. You should just be able to extract it on the hotel PC and pick up a flash drive or 2 to save it to. As long as the USB connections are usable and not locked down, this should work for you.
I have the older 60 min Flip that uses AA batteries. I really want to upgrade to the HD model, but I like the removable battery's and I don't really want to pay for Vimeo + for more the one video upload a week.

As a CSCO stockholder, my recommendation is to buy several flip video cameras. :goodvibes

We deliberately got the kind with the removable batteries, and I've got several 8 mg cards but don't want to rely on a hotel computer in case stuff like that would be blocked. Guess I'm looking at lugging the laptop or being extremely judicious w/my recording. Flip needs to come out with a product for portable storage!!

I would like to take our Flip on our Disney vacation but I really do not want to take our notebook. Is there anywhere I can download the Flip if we need to. It will hold 1 hour of video but I am worried we might want to record more than that.

Thanks, Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter