Flip Video Camera - Good for WDW?

Can't recommend the Flip enough - it's terrific. I have one, and take it everywhere, including WDW and vacations. I've had it two years, and it's tough as heck.

The very best part for me is that it's far smaller than a point-and-shoot camera. It's about the size of a cell phone, but lighter. My videos from my Flip are far better than the video from my point-and-shoot. As always, low light is an issue, but it is with any of these type things. LOVE the Flip!

We bought the Kodak version (it's called PlaySport) and it's great! It was only around $150 and it worked out so well on our trip! I literally kept it in my back pocket and would take it out at any moment to capture something. It also takes 5mp stills AND is waterproof which was so awesome because we had such a rainy trip and instead of worrying about getting the good camera wet, I just used that to take pics when it was raining.

The ONLY slight problem was that because it's so small and light, you have to hold it be careful to hold it steady or else the footage looks shaky.

I'm bringing my PlaySport when I go in December! I got it in August, but haven't had time to play around with it much. I want to get a 16 gb memory card,too, even though I definitely won't record that much there, haha :)

jetta8300, thats exactley what i thought it was about, the sd card, the more i google about it the more it seems true. my videos keep lagging so i figured my class 4 card wasnt fast enough. so i need one that is at least 15mb/sec or faster?

I had this EXACT problem!!! I finally figured out it was our crappy SD card. I got help from a girl at Best Buy and she explained to me that what matters on the SD card is the MB/s. I previously had a 8 GB card that cost about $15 dollars, and it was a "class 6" card which I thought was really good, so I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Well apparently the "class" doesn't matter at all. it had a really bad read/write speed. My new one is here: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Class-Memory-SDSDRH-016G-A11/dp/B0012W7HQK/ref=pd_sim_p_26 with a 15 MB/s write speed, PROBLEM SOLVED! I set it on 720p/60 frames per second. The card lasts a little over 2 hours on this high resolution.

Now my Zi8 is taking AMAZING video!!! I absolutely love this thing. It is true HD video, thank god I didn't go and return the video camera! The reason I bought this instead of the flip is that is takes better video indoors, and in low light. For those of you who don't know what the Zi8 is, here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Pocket-Video-Camera-Black/dp/B002HOPUPC

That's good info! I ended up not getting a pocket video camera before we left (got back on 10/4) but I've already booked another trip for January with the kids (guilt from not taking them this last time :laughing:). Since I've got some time now I'm going to check out the Kodak. Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Flip UltraHD has my vote over the others. Don't worry about it not being water proof because there is a waterproof case available. The quality of the video, ease of use also beats any of the others on the market. Just make sure the Flip is 2nd or 3rd generation. Not having to fumble around with different memory cards is a plus as well.

Flip UltraHD has my vote over the others. Don't worry about it not being water proof because there is a waterproof case available. The quality of the video, ease of use also beats any of the others on the market. Just make sure the Flip is 2nd or 3rd generation. Not having to fumble around with different memory cards is a plus as well.

But it's also a negative if you fill it up and don't or can't bring a laptop.

Fun video, love the quality! Were the stills taken or captured with the Playsport as well?

No, the stills were taken with a Canon Powershot S90. It takes really great pictures, but some of them are a little blurry on the video. I don't know why that is...the pictures alone are very clear.

The Playsport does take still shots (5mp I think) but I have never used that feature.

No, the stills were taken with a Canon Powershot S90. It takes really great pictures, but some of them are a little blurry on the video. I don't know why that is...the pictures alone are very clear.

The Playsport does take still shots (5mp I think) but I have never used that feature.

This is a GREAT camera.

i have both the canon powershot s90 and the kodak playsport.

i much much much prefer the pictures of the canon for still shots.... but i like the ease and quality of the hd video from the playsport. i also like the playsport for waterpark and wet days since it's waterproof!!

While not a Flip camera, I do LOVE this one!! All the video in this was taken with my Kodak Playsport which is waterproof up to 10M. It uses SD cards up to 32mg. I only needed one card for our entire trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAY2KcVJ9M

This is a really cute video. You all look like you are having a great time.

What program did you use to make the video? I really love the special effects you used.

This is a really cute video. You all look like you are having a great time.

What program did you use to make the video? I really love the special effects you used.

Thanks! I used Cyberlink Powerdirector Ultra 9. It accepts .MOV files which is what the Playsport shoots in.

But it's also a negative if you fill it up and don't or can't bring a laptop.

Very true, I wonder if you can download directly to an external hard drive? (if this is an absolutely ridiculous idea, please remember I'm not all that tech savy):rotfl:

I got the Flip for Xmas and I LOVE it. I'm not a typical camera happy mom (if I didn't have an iPhone or a Photopass card I'd probably have NO pictures of my kids!) but I use the Flip a lot. Our last camcorder was too big and bulky, and a huge pain to drag to the parks so any video we took was on our Canon digital camera.

While not a Flip camera, I do LOVE this one!! All the video in this was taken with my Kodak Playsport which is waterproof up to 10M. It uses SD cards up to 32mg. I only needed one card for our entire trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAY2KcVJ9M

Love your video! It looks like you're having so much fun. :) I just got the Playsport for Christmas and can't wait to use it on our next trip. What size SD card did you use? I have a 8GB and a 4 GB, and I'm hoping that's enough.

Very true, I wonder if you can download directly to an external hard drive? (if this is an absolutely ridiculous idea, please remember I'm not all that tech savy):rotfl:

Sorry no, only a computer and no one has ever found anywhere at WDW or the surrounding area that can download the video to a disk for you.

I got the Flip for Xmas and I LOVE it. I'm not a typical camera happy mom (if I didn't have an iPhone or a Photopass card I'd probably have NO pictures of my kids!) but I use the Flip a lot. Our last camcorder was too big and bulky, and a huge pain to drag to the parks so any video we took was on our Canon digital camera.

I have a slightly larger pistol grip Sanyo that I plan to take.

What I like about it is that it has removable memory and battery and a real optical zoom. I'll try to take some video on my up coming trip. Its just when I'm shooting video I just feel that I'm missing out on the fun.

Love your video! It looks like you're having so much fun. :) I just got the Playsport for Christmas and can't wait to use it on our next trip. What size SD card did you use? I have a 8GB and a 4 GB, and I'm hoping that's enough.

I used a 32GB card and it was more than enough.

DH & I got Fip HD for Xmas and planning to take it to Disney. The size is perfect! In my minimal use so far I find the zoom to nt response as smoothly as on my DVD camcorder, but it could just be the operator.

ONE QUESTION? You recharge it thru USB port in computer - an AC charger did not come with it. When at Disney - is there somplace to charge it in rooms? Is there an adapter you can get to charge thru AC outlet? We're staying at Villas at WIlderness Lodge.

Thanks....

DH & I got Fip HD for Xmas and planning to take it to Disney. The size is perfect! In my minimal use so far I find the zoom to nt response as smoothly as on my DVD camcorder, but it could just be the operator.

ONE QUESTION? You recharge it thru USB port in computer - an AC charger did not come with it. When at Disney - is there somplace to charge it in rooms? Is there an adapter you can get to charge thru AC outlet? We're staying at Villas at WIlderness Lodge.

Thanks....

If you go to any WalMart, Best Buy or the like you will find a USB adapter that plugs into the wall. I'm surprised you already don't have one. Every cell phone or any other device I've purchased in the last year or so has a usb cable and an adapter.

Between blue tooths, nooks, phones and cameras I must have 6 or 7.

I found this at Walmart. It just happens to be for a the Flip but anything thats AC to USB should work.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flip-Video-APA1B/11019786

Thanks....

The beautiful thing about the Flip UltraHD is that it can take the rechargeable battery pack which is included, or, regular batteries. The battery life is the best of any camera out there though. There are power adapters sold separately on Amazon that you can buy for about $30. You plug the flip into the charger then the charger into the wall. Some prefer to just buy a second battery pack or just batteries though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter