Flip flops?

mb2456

Earning My Ears
Is the dress code liberal enough to allow flip flops during dinner?

Obviously not on formal and semi formal nights (7 night cruise), but on casual nights. I'll be wearing linen pants and collared shirts but not having to pack another pair of casual shoes would be nice.

Thanks for the help.

Mike:cool1:

I say no to flip flops. :eek: I know you don't want to pack another pair of shoes but how about a pair of Topsiders?? Still casual but nicer looking.

OK, why do you give a crap what someone is wearing on their feet? I hope he doesn't put his little pigs up on the table and otherwise they are under the floor outside your view.

IMO, this is a vacation, wear what you are comfortable with.

How did I know this would turn into a dress debate...:headache:

This is from Disney's web-site:

"What do I bring for evenings?
Let's talk about dinner clothes: We kindly request that no shorts, T-shirts or jeans be worn in any of our restaurants in the evening. Evening attire for the Animator's Palate and Parrot Cay dining rooms is casual. Button-down, open collar shirts or polo shirts and slacks are recommended for men."

I agree it does not say anything about shoes, but do they really need to be that specific?

I had packed my sandals but because I got cold in the shows at night (late dinner so dressed before show) - I ended up wearing my Keds everynight instead. I'd say flip flops are okay if you don't get cold feet. :D

Originally posted by DisneyPete
OK, why do you give a crap what someone is wearing on their feet? I hope he doesn't put his little pigs up on the table and otherwise they are under the floor outside your view.

IMO, this is a vacation, wear what you are comfortable with.

I think that Mike asked for opinions on this thread. Just as you gave yours others should be free to give their's as well.

Last month on my cruise on DCL I wore a very dressy pair of Liz Claiborne flip flops on semi-formal night. I originally intended to wear them on formal night as well until I happened to see a pair of heeled sandals that went perfectly with my dress. My flip flops, which I wore with a dressy top and dressy capris have rhinestones on them and are meant to be very dressy. They should be dressy flip flops for $40 (and that was on sale). :rolleyes: I never hesitated to wear them because they are very dressy. I noticed that I was not the only woman on the cruise wearing flip flops on formal and semi-formals nights. My sister-in-law wore her less dressy flip flops on some of the other nights of the cruise so wear your flip flops if you want. :)

This is an honest to goodness true story:

Last year in all of the excitement I forgot to pack our shoe bag. Yes, ladies, that means only ONE pair of shoes for the entire cruise!!!! :earseek:

My 2 dds and I were left wearing slippers of all things. We drove down from New Jersey. Granted it was only four days, and we did feel a little silly at Triton's but no one noticed or at least had the good graces not to say anything.

Moral: Don't sweat the small stuff, its vacation, enjoy. Only you will really know what you're wearing.

I haven't cruised yet so I'm not a dress code expert, but I just wanted to say that I went into a shoe store today and saw probably 20 different types of women's flip flops--some were very dressy (some even had heels, velvet trim, etc.) and some weren't; some were classy and others weren't. I think there's a big difference in flip flop styles and I'm sure you aren't thinking of wearing the $1.99 foam-and-plastic ones from Wal Mart, so I say if you think they go nicely with your outfit, then go for it! :)

I was think the original poster was a male, so I think the ones with heels & velvet trim are not what they had in mind :teeth:

I actually saw flip flops in Palo once, but they totally went with the woman's outfit, which was a very classy (ha!) mummu type thing. But I guess I shouldn't make fun...once I forgot my dress shoes and ended up in my fancy black dress with a pair of $5 black canvas K-Mart shoes.
Barb

I should think the flip flops would be fine.

On the other hand, I don't feel that the language of one of the above posters was appropriate for a "family-oriented" board. Just my humble opinion, though.

Originally posted by DrCavin
I was think the original poster was a male, so I think the ones with heels & velvet trim are not what they had in mind :teeth:

:crazy: :crazy: LOL! Sorry, Mike! Guess you won't be traveling with those cute velvet flip-flops, but even so I'm sure your flip-flops of choice should be fine. :)

For the ladies...JCPenney website has a "Cabin Creek 'Bali' Strappy Sandal" that I purchased last spring in black and wore almost every night since I had a slacks outfit for formal nights. They're flats with elastic straps criscrossing over the top. They're currently on sale in several colors for $12.99. I loved them because they take up almost no space in the suitcase and were comfortable.

Sorry Mike, I don't think these are really your style but I think the really nice (translate more expensive) "flip flops" would be fine with your linen pants. You ARE on vacation and they don't have a dress code patrol.

After reading everyone's opinion on this subject and after picking myself up off the floor from laughing, I have to thank you all. Your opinions and suggestions were as diverse as I would have expected.

I have decided that I will be packing and wearing my "expensive, leather" flip flops and I promise to keep my feet under the table!

However, since my cruise isn't for a few weeks (July 10th) I will be on the lookout for the rhinestone ones with the short heel and velvet straps. It just sounds yummy!

Again, thank you for your inputs.

Mike

what are flip flops?
I wear birkenstock sandals that don't have a backstrap...so perhaps those qualify as flip flops....
and yes i wear them to dinner on the ship (and everywhere else 365 days/year, except when i'm wearing a business suit........)...
on the last cruise i wore them with my capri pants..
if other people have a problem with it, i guess that's their problem...why are they looking at my feet?..
my daughter wears the same type...
DH and DS wear birkenstocks as well, but with a backstrap, so i guess they're not defined as flip flops...

I'll be wearing flip-flops a lot on the cruise. I am a shoe fanatic (think Carrie on Sex and the City) and you can bet I own some lovely flip-flops that match my dressy Summer outfits! Out of courtesy to my fellow diners, I will make sure I have a pedicure so as not to offend anyone with my bare piggies!

Erin :D

Originally posted by tinksmom
I should think the flip flops would be fine.

On the other hand, I don't feel that the language of one of the above posters was appropriate for a "family-oriented" board. Just my humble opinion, though.

Which post would that be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter