Flights

Out of curiosity since we are starting to look at flights for our Central Europe trip this coming September. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting low fares or sale fares when they have to fly in and out of 2 different airports. We need to fly into Prague and out of Vienna. Is it better to book a single airline and do a multi-stop flight or should we look at booking 2 separate airlines, one there and a different one back?

I posted about this the other day, but it has now gotten buried in the Other Options thread.

We need to get to Italy this June. I was originally going to book round-trip to Rome, because last summer, I did pay a premium to fly to Frankfurt (direct) and home from Munich (direct). Those tickets were $1800 each! But, what I have found this year is that flying to smaller cities in Italy is significantly cheaper (anywhere from $400-$1000 per ticket!) than trying to go through Rome. What I am looking at now is a flight to Rome (I want to spend a few pre-days there) and home from Florence on KLM for about $1500 (vs $2000 to fly round-trip to Rome). A multi-city ticket to Naples (where our tour starts) and from Florence is less than $1200, as is a round trip flight to Florence. I was absolutely shocked that a multi-city ticket and a flight to a smaller city would be cheaper.

I'm also seeing better prices on flights that have a layover in Europe. My first choice right now is a KLM flight that connects in Amsterdam. Airlines like United seem to be charging a premium when the connection is in a major US city (like Newark, DC, or Chicago).

Air France also has some good prices, but I'm not real thrilled about connecting in Paris (just haven't heard good things about that airport).

I have not personally found any options where booking different airlines for the departure and return trips is advantageous. There are still some airlines that charge a premium for a one-way ticket.

I would avoid Charles de Gaule unless you are flying and touring in Paris. My mom's boss, who travels a lot for work, even avoids it when he can. We can fly with Austrian as they fly out of Toronto so the flight home isn't the issue. It's the flight to Prague that's causing me issues. I can book the flight to Prague on Austrian but it costs over $2200 CAD for 2 people round trip Toronto-Prague/Vienna-Toronto. Guess I'll just have to watch the fares and take the best one I can.

So, I just checked the KLM website...my preferred flights just dropped from $1554 to $1192! I think I will be booking today!

I had the shocking experience of calling ABD for something else, asking about airfare for my river cruise in July, getting transferred to their airfare group, and having the representative find me a ticket through Air France (that is mostly a codeshare with Delta) that cost close to $500 *less* than anything I was seeing! Of course, I booked it then and there. The only downside *is* a stop at CDG, but it was hard to avoid. The flight back (Delta) from Prague is a non-stop to JFK. (I fly into Budapest, and home from Prague).

Sayhello

So would you recommend going through ABD? Our trip isn't until September and one of the concerns is the ability to preselect seats. We prefer to preselect than take what's assigned.

My agent is booking our flights through ABD now, and I selected our exact seats. I think seat selection is more of an issue depending on what airline you book and whether or not that airline allows advance seat selection. For example, when flying to Germany last year, we could have booked a code-share flight on Lufthansa through United. I could not have selected the seats even if I had booked the ticket myself (that option was not available on the United website). My impression was that Lufthansa was blocking the seat selection.

With KLM, I just went through the flight selection process on their website like I would if I was purchasing the seats myself. KLM does let you pick seats, so I did so and passed the seat info over to my agent (who is working with ABD to get it done).

I found the lowest price through KLM (not ABD), but unless you are doing a search using a big travel search engine, there might be flights out there at lower prices that you just never see. Also, KLM gives a small discount (for us it was $68) on the price of a child's ticket. That was enough to almost pay for his $76 extra leg-room seat upgrade.

The reason I go through ABD is because I want the peace of mind that if ABD cancels the trip, I will get a refund on my airfare. In fact, when ABD books your airfare, the charge shows up on your cc as a charge from Disney (not the airline).

I just checked out Skyscanner and found that LOT Airways has flights to our locations for almost $1000 CAD less than what I'm seeing on other airlines. For 2 adults they are showing just over $1600 for September. Have to connect in Warsaw but that wouldn't be an issue. Would get to fly on a Dreamliner on top of it. Dreamliner would fly the Toronto/Warsaw Warsaw/Toronto legs.

So would you recommend going through ABD? Our trip isn't until September and one of the concerns is the ability to preselect seats. We prefer to preselect than take what's assigned.
I pre-selected all my seats working with ABD. I sat on the line with the representative, looking at the seat charts, told her what I wanted, and she selected them. Or I could have waited until she finished the reservation and gone into the reservation after she made it, and selected/changed them myself. There are things you can't change, but Seats is definitely one you can. Plus I had the added advantage that the one leg that was Air France and not Delta, their site was having issues doing the Premium Economy selection for me. The ABD person kept after Air France for 2 days until they were able to assign me that seat. I can go into my reservation via Air France's website or Delta's (as neither one seems to be able to deal with all aspects of the reservation) via their confirmation numbers. So I really wouldn't worry about that part of it.

I like working with ABD, they are very much like working with a Travel Agent, getting you exactly what you want, and monitoring changes (I always get an email from them when the flight changes). Plus, I like the fact that I'm traveling under ABD's "wings" from start to finish in case anything goes wrong, since I'm not doing any pre- or post-days on my own this time, it's all through ABD.

And there *is* the fact that it's much easier in the case of the dreaded trip cancellation. Although I'm not really too worried about that with the River cruises this year.

Sayhello

I think we're probably going to end up booking our flights with LOT. $1600 roundtrip for 2 adults Toronto to Prague and Vienna to Toronto is a great deal, even though we have to connect in Warsaw. Add to that the Toronto to Warsaw part is on a Dreamliner, that just makes the cost that much more appealing. I'm not too worried about ABD cancelling our trip as I have a contingency plan. National Geographic will do customized trips. You tell them where you want to go and when and they will create something for you for however many people you want. If ABD were to cancel our Central Europe Trip I'll just get in touch with my co-ordinator at National Geographic (already have one cause we're looking at booking with them for 2017), send her a copy of my ABD itinerary and have her create something similar for us.

I just checked out Skyscanner and found that LOT Airways has flights to our locations for almost $1000 CAD less than what I'm seeing on other airlines. For 2 adults they are showing just over $1600 for September. Have to connect in Warsaw but that wouldn't be an issue. Would get to fly on a Dreamliner on top of it. Dreamliner would fly the Toronto/Warsaw Warsaw/Toronto legs.
Is that $1600 CAD per person, or $800 CAD per person? Because if it's the latter, and I could get that kind of airfare to Europe, I'd be flying there 2 or 3 times a year! ;)

Sayhello

If you wanted to fly with LOT direct to Warsaw to connect to Europe you'd need to fly out Chicago, New York or Toronto. I'm in Toronto so I have access to their Dreamliner flight to Warsaw.

I'm jealous, too! Evidently KLM is having a 3-day sale. They are offering the lowest fares I've seen to anywhere in Europe, and there is nothing under about $1000 for the summer months. Even the spring/fall fares are $900-$1000.

That's why this was me when I saw the LOT prices :scared1:. When I looked at Austrian, KLM, Lufthansa this morning for a flight for 2 adults from Toronto to Prague and Vienna to Toronto in September the fares were minimum of $1000 CAD per person. Austrian was $1300 CAD per person. Yes, Austrian has the advantage of having a direct flight from Vienna to Toronto but when I can save $500 CAD a person, I think I'll take the connection.

Mine are in US dollars. What's $1000 CAD...about $700 USD? That would be an unbelievably good (as in, are you sure they aren't making you sit in the cargo hold good) price for a flight to Europe from anywhere in the US!!!

I booked that awesome fare last night. Not going to find one lower to Europe when I have to come and go from different airports.

Congratulations on the great price! I've never heard of LOT but if they fly the dreamliner they must have some $$ behind them.

My dh flew on the dreamliner last summer and he loved it. He said the air circulation system is so much better than what's on the existing planes.

Personally I am not crazy about connections, but for $1,000.00 I would strongly consider it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter