Flights to US - who with and why?

We flew United in 2008 and will never fly with them again. Everything was old and horrible. The food was awful, the flight attendants were rude and it was squishy. If it was just going to the USA I would write it off as a one off, but it was the same coming home.
We just flew with V Australia and loved them. I guess it all depends on who is charging what. I personally would pay extra to NOT fly United again..

We flew United in 2008 and will never fly with them again. Everything was old and horrible. The food was awful, the flight attendants were rude and it was squishy. If it was just going to the USA I would write it off as a one off, but it was the same coming home.
We just flew with V Australia and loved them. I guess it all depends on who is charging what. I personally would pay extra to NOT fly United again..

Our travel agent advised us NOT to travel with United. They told us exactly the same things you've mentioned so I'd say it's a constant problem with the flight attendants. Even though United was cheaper, we decided to go with V Australia, because of the advice of our travel agent.

My sister has flown SYD-LAX with QANTAS and said the service was quite poor. The passengers were pretty much left on their own after the first two hours into the flight. She called for an attendant, she waited over half an hour before anyone came. She wasn't the only one who had to wait so long. She had advised she was alergic to nuts and then they gave her a pack of peanuts for a snack, and then they told her they had nothing else.

We haven't flown with V Australia but that is the airline that has been recommended to us. We were told the cabins were very updated, there was access to inflight entertainment for each chair, the airfares were quite reasonable and competitive, the staff apparently are very friendly.

Poster from the States here with a thousand questions since I've never flown international. DH is considering a job offer in your country. As he'd be gone for 1-3 years, we're doing tons of research before deciding. My #1 question for now...the airfare prices you've posted are roundtrip...correct?

This will be a terribly hard decision for him as he'd leave 5 & 8 year old DGD's behind. Weighing all the pros and cons and that is surely one of the HUGE cons. Any suggestions or advice from your experiences would be appreciated. :tink:

Would the company he is going to be working for willing to pay for any airfares back home as part of his package? Is this something he could possible negotiate before he decides?

I'm not as seasoned traveller as some on this board, but I think airfares can fluctuate in cost a fair bit, also depending on which state you are flying from.

I'd say go for it though, as it is only a temporary thing. Australia is a beautiful country.

Goodluck :thumbsup2

Our travel agent advised us NOT to travel with United. They told us exactly the same things you've mentioned so I'd say it's a constant problem with the flight attendants. Even though United was cheaper, we decided to go with V Australia, because of the advice of our travel agent.

My sister has flown SYD-LAX with QANTAS and said the service was quite poor. The passengers were pretty much left on their own after the first two hours into the flight. She called for an attendant, she waited over half an hour before anyone came. She wasn't the only one who had to wait so long. She had advised she was alergic to nuts and then they gave her a pack of peanuts for a snack, and then they told her they had nothing else.

We haven't flown with V Australia but that is the airline that has been recommended to us. We were told the cabins were very updated, there was access to inflight entertainment for each chair, the airfares were quite reasonable and competitive, the staff apparently are very friendly.

I don't care if V Australia costs more, I will pay it. In a way, Im glad we had that bad experience with United because we really appreciate good service now ;)..The way we see it, it is a very, VERY long flight, if you pay a little bit extra to be comfortable, so be it.

Would the company he is going to be working for willing to pay for any airfares back home as part of his package? Is this something he could possible negotiate before he decides?

I'm not as seasoned traveller as some on this board, but I think airfares can fluctuate in cost a fair bit, also depending on which state you are flying from.

I'd say go for it though, as it is only a temporary thing. Australia is a beautiful country.

Goodluck :thumbsup2

Another thing to think about! :eek: This is such a life changing decision, it's really, really scary...at our age! :rolleyes1 Good thought...will pass it on to him. I'm supporting whatever decision he makes. Not that I wouldn't miss him but we were apart for 14 months when he served in Vietnam. Now I have DD's and DGD's to keep ME company; he'd have Facebook & Email! :rotfl: To this day, he regrets not having visited Australia for R&R while in the service in Vietnam. He's always wanted to visit and to have the opportunity to live there for a time would be something to take off the "Bucket List"! :lmao: AND...for us to have the chance to give our daughters and their families an opportunity to visit your beautiful country...WOW.

Almost forgot...he'd/we'd be flying out of Texas. An hours drive from Houston but also have major airports in Austin and Dallas area.

Thanks for putting that idea in my head! Any other suggestions? :tink:

Poster from the States here with a thousand questions since I've never flown international. DH is considering a job offer in your country. As he'd be gone for 1-3 years, we're doing tons of research before deciding. My #1 question for now...the airfare prices you've posted are roundtrip...correct?

This will be a terribly hard decision for him as he'd leave 5 & 8 year old DGD's behind. Weighing all the pros and cons and that is surely one of the HUGE cons. Any suggestions or advice from your experiences would be appreciated. :tink:

:wave: Welcome to the Aussie section of the boards G'sOL. Nice to see you here. Has DH made a decision? It might be a once in the lifetime opportunity for you and him.......and your DGDs can always visit! :thumbsup2

Airprices from Oz to the US might be different if you were flying from the US to Oz.

Qantas have services out of DFW now; so it would probably be the most direct flight for you.

If you have questions, maybe set up a separate thread...that way, we'll know to respond directly to you when we see the thread bumped up the Aussie boards.

:wave: Welcome to the Aussie section of the boards G'sOL. Nice to see you here. Has DH made a decision? It might be a once in the lifetime opportunity for you and him.......and your DGDs can always visit! :thumbsup2

Airprices from Oz to the US might be different if you were flying from the US to Oz.

Qantas have services out of DFW now; so it would probably be the most direct flight for you.

If you have questions, maybe set up a separate thread...that way, we'll know to respond directly to you when we see the thread bumped up the Aussie boards.

:tiptoe: You should have known I'd show up here sooner or later! :rotfl2: No decision yet, just gathering info to make that decision. Told the DD's this week about the offer and son-in-law wanted to know why he hadn't left yet! :lmao: The decision would be a "no-brainer" if not for the fact that everything we thought was "good" the past 20 or so years has ended up "in the gutter". :scared1: ONLY reason he's hesitating. We ARE "due" for a run of good luck...just don't know if this is the time yet! :rotfl2:

Qantas sounds like the best bet but he/we'd probably fly from Houston into Dallas and go from there. (It's a 3 1/2-4 hour drive to Dallas compared to a 30 minute flight an an hours drive to the Houston airport. :laughing:) Good idea :idea: on the separate thread because we have a thousand questions. Going to "step back" and catch our breath for a few days while he does a little more "investigating" on the offer. Thanks again for the :welcome:; hoping I'm "around here" for a long time! :tink:

:tiptoe: You should have known I'd show up here sooner or later! :rotfl2: No decision yet, just gathering info to make that decision. Told the DD's this week about the offer and son-in-law wanted to know why he hadn't left yet! :lmao: The decision would be a "no-brainer" if not for the fact that everything we thought was "good" the past 20 or so years has ended up "in the gutter". :scared1: ONLY reason he's hesitating. We ARE "due" for a run of good luck...just don't know if this is the time yet! :rotfl2:

Qantas sounds like the best bet but he/we'd probably fly from Houston into Dallas and go from there. (It's a 3 1/2-4 hour drive to Dallas compared to a 30 minute flight an an hours drive to the Houston airport. :laughing:) Good idea :idea: on the separate thread because we have a thousand questions. Going to "step back" and catch our breath for a few days while he does a little more "investigating" on the offer. Thanks again for the :welcome:; hoping I'm "around here" for a long time! :tink:

:thumbsup2

we just booked our direct flights for v australia from bne-lax return for 1300. considering that same flight was originally advertised as 1700-1800 a few months ago, i'm pretty happy at that rate :) plus, it's a direct flight, so less chance of missed connections, lost luggage etc (not ruling out lost luggage, but less risk, fingers crossed :scared1:)

i've heard good things about v australia -- slightly more legroom, better IFE, nicer staff, better meals etc. and we're only flying economy cause we're on a very strict budget, but still, i think it's the way to go..

less than a month and we'll be in DLR with mickey! i'll have to do up a trip report when i get back and let you all know about how the flights went :)

Such a good price booking a month out! I would be scared I'd miss out leaving it to the last minute:)

We flew V Australia last year and it was a great flight. More room, great meals and a good selection of movies and t.v. The staff were really good and I will deifinetly fly again with them.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter