Flights of wonder ~ Scary??

29apr00

Momma to a Princess and a little Prince!
Are the birds flying all around during this show? Neither DD nor I like to have birds flying around. It's one thing to look at them on someone's hand, another to have them swooping down and crossing the theater.:scared:

The birds aren't flying around for the whole show but there are a few times when a bird flies across the theater. The show is wonderful though. My whole family really enjoyed it.

There are only a couple times when they let a bird fly across the theatre, its really not scary at all...its a great show!

it's gonna happen from both sides, i think mostly from stage right though. i'd probably sit high up and towards the center if i wanted to avoid the bulk of it and still see the show

As mentioned they do a few flyovers but it is not like they are sneaking up on you and it is only 1 bird at a time and not like a flock filling the audience. Definitely a great sho though I am always impressed with this show.

Are the birds flying all around during this show? Neither DD nor I like to have birds flying around. It's one thing to look at them on someone's hand, another to have them swooping down and crossing the theater.:scared:

Please don't take offense at this, but reading your post just made me stop an think about how VERY different we, as human beings can be...
You're freaked out by birds flying around (one too many Alfred Hitchcock movie in your childhood?)
A friend of my daughter's is TERRIFIED of dolls and thinks Small World is the scariest thing anywhere (and it's not just about the thought of that song....)
I know several people who are bothered by clowns...
Then you got your spider people, snake people, and heights folks...
Me, I'm mostly scared by my own reflection in a mirror! (especially when I have to buy a new swimsuit!) :scared1:

If you have a fear of birds, like some do of heights or tight spaces, this may frighten you. If not, they're just birds and the fly around a bit and its not in the slightest way scary. Of course, if you're afraid of birds, then its a different story. Im petrified of spiders. I think you'd have to have a similar phobia of birds to find it scary at all, so you'll have to consider your bird fear I suppose. Hopefully its not too bad because its a really really good show, I think its the best at WDW.

sorry to just jump in! I also have a thing about birds flying around me! I don't mind looking at them or even being close to them, just don't like them flying near my head. My "fear" if you will, comes from the fact that I have been "defecated" on one too many times for my liking! Can anyone tell me if this ever happens during the show? Has anyone ever been pooped on?

I thought this was a GREAT show. Its actually realistic. The birds act like birds, not some kind of trained something. For us this show is a do NOT miss.

sorry to just jump in! I also have a thing about birds flying around me! I don't mind looking at them or even being close to them, just don't like them flying near my head. My "fear" if you will, comes from the fact that I have been "defecated" on one too many times for my liking! Can anyone tell me if this ever happens during the show? Has anyone ever been pooped on?

We've seen the show several times, and never seen anyone pooped on. IMO, you have a MUCH bigger chance of being "bombed" in the parks than at the show. I got pooed on watching the MK parade in Frontierland (I was standing under a tree), and DH has gotten hit several times at AK while eating outside at Flame Tree BBQ.

With all the scavenging birds around all the time at the parks, the chances are pretty good you'll get hit sooner or later.

Don't eat at the benches by the lagoon near the Yorkshire in the UK pavillion! The gulls are always flying around and above you, however we didn't get hit either of the two times we ate there.

Well i wouldn't call it a phobia, but it's a distinct fear. I may have to bypass that one, and let dh take the kids in. May be a good time for me to use my FP for EE!

If you are afraid of birds, do not sit on the right side of the theater in the lower section (the right side when you are facing the stage). They bring out a large walking bird on that side, and it flies up on stage. It was right next to me the one time I saw the show. I am deathly afraid of birds, but everyone else I was with wanted to see the show, so I figured I would sit at the end of the row and I could run out if anything freaked me out. Well, when this bird came out right next to me, I started shaking and trembling uncontrollably. I couldn't even move for a few minutes, I was so scared....so if you are afraid of birds, definitely avoid that side of the theater. I don't think anyone could ever get me to go back to that show!

If you do a search on youtube.com you will find a few videos of the show.

My dd was engulfed by seagulls while she was enjoying a fruit tart on the Boardwalk. We were strolling along just outside the Bakery and she literally got "dive bombed" ! She likes birds but that really freaked her out a bit- me too! :scared1:

I feel your pain- I am absolutely terrified of frogs! :scared1:

I am terrified of birds- an example: I was in a park in London with my best friend, and there were people feeding a bunch of water fowl. In order to get through that crowd, I literally had to close my eyes and have her lead me crying through.

That said, I'm ok with Flights of Wonder. I sat about halfway back on the left side of the theater (as you're facing the stage) and no birds came anywhere near me. Honestly, I enjoyed the show from a distance. I say give it a chance, just be selective of where you sit!

Don't eat at the benches by the lagoon near the Yorkshire in the UK pavillion! The gulls are always flying around and above you, however we didn't get hit either of the two times we ate there.

I got hit there in December!!!

And seagulls digestive systems do not handle fish and chips very well! :eek:

If you are afraid of birds, the bird show is probably not the place for you.

That said, they fly from point A to point B. They aren't flying around madly to and fro.

I like the bird show. For people who like birds, it is really a nice little show. :)

I am far more afraid of getting pooped on when I'm walking through the parks than I am during this show.

Sadly, I wish Disney could put up signs that say "If you feed the birds, you are encouraging them to steal your food and poop on your head."

That said, Flights of Wonder has Disney birds - I have full confidence that they're trained to not poop during the show.

You have FOB. Fear of Birds. Guano Jane/Joe also has the same thing and part of the show is helping that Cast Member get over his/her FOB.

There are a couple of birds that do fly over people's heads. A hawk is one of the them and if you are sitting on the right side on the ground level, it's a Crowned Crane. Also an owl will do it (had to remember because we just saw this on Sunday and it was raining so they didn't do that part).

However, understand that these birds do not fly around willy nilly. I've see this show about fifty times and the flying birds in the audience level have NEVER missed their mark. They will fly from one trainer in the back to the host Cast Member up on the stage. The Crane flies from the right side and up to the stage.

There are "free flying" birds (they look like they are just flying around but they have patterns) at the very beginning of the show but that's all on the stage.

If you want to try this show, sit all the way up in the last row of the bleachers. Nothing flies up there. It really is a great show (and I should know having seen it so many times!). It's educational and I have never been there and not have heard a gasp from the audience when the bald eagle (Hope) is brought out.

I hope you give it a try. You can always leave during the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter