Flight Question (Southwest)

I fly Southwest because 90% of the time they're the cheapest option for me and offer the most nonstop flights. So far I haven't had any problems getting seats together and I never buy early bird check-in. I don't mind sitting toward the back, though, and since most of my flights are short and I don't travel with kids, I don't really care about lack of assigned seats. I've had one major issue with a canceled flight due to a broken plane, but that sort of thing can happen on any airline.

So, I was completely stressing over this seat thing and early bird check in after reading everything on these boards about it. We are 7 travelling together from PHL to MCO later today and I didn't want to pay for early bird check in. Our flight does change planes in Atlanta so not sure if it isn't a popular flight, but being that it's NJ week and I'm flying out of Philly, I was worried. I checked in at exactly the 24 hour mark yesterday and got A41 for first leg of flight and A25 for second!! I'm happy I didn't pay extra but wondering if it was just good luck??

So, I was completely stressing over this seat thing and early bird check in after reading everything on these boards about it. We are 7 travelling together from PHL to MCO later today and I didn't want to pay for early bird check in. Our flight does change planes in Atlanta so not sure if it isn't a popular flight, but being that it's NJ week and I'm flying out of Philly, I was worried. I checked in at exactly the 24 hour mark yesterday and got A41 for first leg of flight and A25 for second!! I'm happy I didn't pay extra but wondering if it was just good luck??
Glad you got good boarding! We are flying two weeks from today and did not purchase the EB either since it's just DH and I. Been flying SW for a couple years and always bought it in the past. Hope we get a good category too!

I would say that it was luck.

I traveled from PHL to MCO via Southwest back in Sept. Since it was just me and my sister, I didn't bother with EBC. I was online right at 24 hours prior to scheduled departure (6:30 AM!) We got boarding passes in the mid-B group. The two of us still got seats together near the back of the plane. There was a lot of seat-saving going on by a very large family group, half of whom had boarded with small children during family boarding between the A & B groups.

Every.Single.Time I have to fly a legacy carrier there is a hoard of people, regardless of their boarding group, crowded around the podium trying to rush on at the same time.

I normally fly SWA, but a couple of weeks ago I flew on UAL I was surprised to find that UAL had signs for 5 boarding groups to line up behind. LOL. It worked pretty well from my point of view. I don't fly 1ST and I don't have any status on UAL, so I was able to queue up for the 2nd boarding group (I paid a couple of extra dollars for the early boarding).

That's not true either. The legacy carriers charge for pre-selecting a seat assignment. Some may offer a courtesy choice, but you can be moved at any time up until boarding if another passenger pays for an assignment and picks your seat. This includes splitting up families traveling on the same booking.

I travel for business occasionally (used to be more frequent) on the legacies and have never had to pay for a seat assignment and have never been knocked out of my seat. I flew American last month and my seat assignment was in the back both ways, rows 26 and 27, no charge. I signed in right before the 24 hour check-in both ways and noticed they released the seats they hold for their elite level flyers for no charge and I moved up to 16 or 18. I also flew Delta this year, no charge for seat assignments and was not moved.

What airline are you talking about? The only other legacy left is United and I haven't heard of them charging for seat assignments.

I travel for business occasionally (used to be more frequent) on the legacies and have never had to pay for a seat assignment and have never been knocked out of my seat. I flew American last month and my seat assignment was in the back both ways, rows 26 and 27, no charge. I signed in right before the 24 hour check-in both ways and noticed they released the seats they hold for their elite level flyers for no charge and I moved up to 16 or 18. I also flew Delta this year, no charge for seat assignments and was not moved.

What airline are you talking about? The only other legacy left is United and I haven't heard of them charging for seat assignments.

That poster has already been informed that he/she is incorrect; no US legacy airline charges for seat assignments.

The remaining transcontinental legacy carriers are United, American and Delta. The regional legacy carriers are Hawaiian and Alaska.

I'm a 1K on United and I have had my seat changed with equipment swaps.

That poster has already been informed that he/she is incorrect; no US legacy airline charges for seat assignments.

The remaining transcontinental legacy carriers are United, American and Delta. The regional legacy carriers are Hawaiian and Alaska.

I'm a 1K on United and I have had my seat changed with equipment swaps.

I have rarely had a seat changed because of equipment swaps but never thrown out of my assigned seat because someone wanted to buy it.

I literally just got off Southwest Flight 2 hours ago, on a business trip. I needed to fly with my boss who loves it or I would anything to avoid them. Why? No assigned seats. I want my seat assigned and then I am the last person in the plane.

I "bought" my way up to Boarding position A9 ($40) and with a lot of stress of worrying how many "extra" people boarded ahead of me, I got an emergency row seat, which I had to sit in for 30 extra minutes, while everyone else boarded.

When I fly other airlines, I am willing to pay the same $40 for an exit row seat but that seat is guaranteed for me and I have 25 extra minutes OFF the plane. Last time I boarded, only one of the pilots, coming from another flight, was behind me.

God forbid, I get stuck in security, my connection is late, or am late getting to the gate. I could get stuck in a middle seat on SW, even though I may have an "A" boarding code. I will get back off the plane before I sit in a middle seat (somewhat claustrophobic).

Even if I pay the $40 at the gate on SW, I'm not guaranteed of one of the better seats. Even if I am A1, all the frequent fliers and passengers who may have stayed on the aircraft from a previous leg have taken any premium seats and I paid $40 for nothing.

No thank you.

Last edited:
Love SWA! 2 checked bags and carry-on free plus usually the lowest price fare. We don't pay extra - just check-in at 24hr mark and have gotten high A or low B group. Have had great service, even candy for the kids when we flew to Disney on Halloween one yr., and snack and a soda on each flight. Also love the no change fee, and have booked one way at a time, and when price dropped, got the credit and applied it to purchase of return flight. We love the piece of mind of no extra fees, bringing the luggage we want (like our extra bag to WDW with snacks for the room and room for souvineers coming home!) , and knowing we can change the flight if needed. Flying them again in Dec. for our upcoming trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter