Flight Price swings -- not WDW-related but illustrative -- could save you $$

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
Family issues call for daughter to fly from Iowa to Oregon in the fall. Put through a flight alert through HOPPER and got notice on Saturday that prices had dropped and I had better hop to it if I wanted cheaper fares.

Sent daughter e-mail with the cheaper fares and told her to choose times.....she messed around and did not get back to me until Monday.

By the time she got back to me, fares had jumped $120 from Saturday. Groaned, but made reservations last night. Kept checking, fare jumped up even more late last night (Monday and early today). But mid-day today (Tuesday), dropped $135. Immediately booked a second flight for dear daughter.

As soon as I had those reservations solid and in hand, I cancelled the ones I made last night. Then, I went back into the system and got the seats she originally had had, since once I had cancelled, they went right back into inventory.

So, lesson? If you are a cheapo, after you buy your flight, keep checking for the next 24 hours, you may get lucky. Pain, yeah, but saving $$$ -- priceless.

Also, make sure you are clearing your cookies in between searches. Most airline sites are designed to raise the prices each time your return to check them.

You know, peeps, about the erasing cookies and prices and all....I almost -- I said almost -- could swear that you DO need to erase them -- and really, how much effort does that take -- anyway. I always erase cookies after any such search.

Call me paranoid, but unless you can give me solid proof that it does not matter...I will take the extra 40 seconds to erase.

Anyway, happy the 24-hour rule worked for me (us).

You know, peeps, about the erasing cookies and prices and all....I almost -- I said almost -- could swear that you DO need to erase them -- and really, how much effort does that take -- anyway. I always erase cookies after any such search.

Call me paranoid, but unless you can give me solid proof that it does not matter...I will take the extra 40 seconds to erase.

Anyway, happy the 24-hour rule worked for me (us).

1) Perhaps cookies might make a difference when shopping at Amazon, etc. or signing up for credit card bonuses.
2) If you are using chrome, it is easier to just use incognito mode.
3) The only proof I can offer is the 1,000+ flights I have flown over the last 20 years.

1) Perhaps cookies might make a difference when shopping at Amazon, etc. or signing up for credit card bonuses.
2) If you are using chrome, it is easier to just use incognito mode.
3) The only proof I can offer is the 1,000+ flights I have flown over the last 20 years.

And, no disrespect intended, but you still offer no proof at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter