Flight panic!!

CAROLINE4

Mouseketeer
Hi we have only ever used virgin to travel to Florida. This Christmas the flight prices were ridiculous for economy so dialaflight offered us indirect with American Airlines. The past week or two I've been trying to find information about them, what the cabin looks like, what entertainment is offered etc. But I'm not finding much up to date info.
Whilst looking I've found http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/american-airlines/#anchor355715 which has horrendous reviews of AA! Now I am stressing out! Our first indirect flight looks like it's been booked with a very unreliable company!
Can anyone share their experiences of flying out of MAN with them? What penalties would I face if I tried to change airlines at this late stage (if at all possible)

Thanks

Caroline

We flew indirect at Easter this year with AA. Manchester to Orlando via Philadelphia. The transatlantic sections were excellent. Crew much more pleasant than Virgin and food better in my opinion. The inflight entertainment was good, but some passengers didn't work on the outbound flight. The only downside was a delay at Philadelphia on the way home as they needed to change a tyre. But I'd rather they did that than risk safety. All ways round I was impressed (especially after some of the reviews I'd read!)

Aww thanks janiebubble! It's so scary isn't it! I don't think I'd be as stressed if it was just the two of us but with 4 children in tow I just want it to go smoothly.

I know. It's just the two of us but I still felt nervous, just because it was something we'd not done before. If the price was right I'd do it again in a instant. We are back with Virgin next year but only because I found some good miles plus money fares. Part of me is wishing I was flying with AA!

AA has merged with us airways recently

Many a UK DISer have flown the MAN-PHL-MCO route with us airways in the past (you'll fly on the same plane, only the paintjob has changed)
Have a look at trip reports with that flight

I've flown with AA/US quite a few time, always indirect, and, as it's customary to say ''they're not worse than the other carriers''

Just make sure you have plenty of time for your connection (anything shorter than 2hrs30min in CLT or 3hrs in PHL is tight)

If you went for the lowest fare, changing flights with the same airline will cost you around £100pp plus the price difference between what you've paid and the price of you new flight

Changing airlines is a full cancellation. You can be refunded the taxes which will be a total of less than £100pp once the fees are taken

So just forget that idea or be prepared to book a new set of tickets and kiss the current ones goodbye (tickets and money)

You'll be fine with AA. The vast majority of passengers are. Don't worry

Thanks for your replies! I have about 4hrs change going and 3 1/2 coming home so fingers crossed we'll be fine! I definitely won't cancel now! That's a fortune to loose! Thanks

AA are fine. There is no significant difference in economy between them, BA, VA or any other transatlantic airline we have used. You have purchased a ticket which is a contract that they will get you from A to B - that's their job to make sure they do that.

I've done indirect for my last 7 trips and have only once missed a connection (BA, took off 3.5 hours late having sat on the tarmac in London all that time - our second flight was with AA but all on the same ticket). They got us to Orlando that day and we actually only arrived 2.5 hours late as they made up some time. Relax with it - you'll get to Orlando.

A good tip is that the shorter, domestic flight doesn't have much food included - at best a bag of pretzels - so if your kids want snacks, pick some up at the airport as it's cheaper than on the plane. Drinks ARE included. AA will feed you plenty on the transatlantic leg.

If you are flying via PHL, we flew through there on the return earlier this year and were very impressed with the simplicity of the connection. There's good advice above about connection times - I go for minimum 2.5 hours outbound and 1.5 hours return. Your connection times are plenty.

Last edited:

T
AA are fine. There is no significant difference in economy between them, BA, VA or any other transatlantic airline we have used. You have purchased a ticket which is a contract that they will get you from A to B - that's their job to make sure they do that.

I've done indirect for my last 7 trips and have only once missed a connection (BA, took off 3.5 hours late having sat on the tarmac in London all that time - our second flight was with AA but all on the same ticket). They got us to Orlando that day and we actually only arrived 2.5 hours late as they made up some time. Relax with it - you'll get to Orlando.

A good tip is that the shorter, domestic flight doesn't have much food included - at best a bag of pretzels - so if your kids want snacks, pick some up at the airport as it's cheaper than on the plane. Drinks ARE included. AA will feed you plenty on the transatlantic leg.

If you are flying via PHL, we flew through there on the return earlier this year and were very impressed with the simplicity of the connection. There's good advice above about connection times - I go for minimum 2.5 hours outbound and 1.5 hours return. Your connection times are plenty.

Thanks for the advice about food! We will make sure we grab a bite to eat at Chicago. We have to move terminal from 3-5 but I've had a look on the airport Map and a shuttle takes you there so think we should be ok. It's nice to hear some good stories. I was worried about keeping them entertained for so long without a movie for them to watch. Hopefully we are lucky and our IFE work.

Chicago is easy to navigate once you are through immigration. The shuttle between terminals is simple to use. Just remember that you have to go through security twice - once at MAN and then again at ORD - so keep liquids and laptops to hand and wear sensible clothing.

I loved flying with AA last year out of Heathrow. Cant imagine it would be that different. easily the best entertainment system we have ever had, over 250 films. We upgraded to their equivalent of PE for about £70 each, each way, well worth it as we were in front row so had loads of room. We stopped in Miamin which was great as only 40 minute flight to Orlando from there.
I honestly would never bother reading any reviews about airlines. I dint think any of the big American airlines could really ever be that bad.

I have been worrying about this too. We booked indirect for our trip in October to Beach club. We have 07:45 departure from LHR via Chicago, then onto MCO. I've read loads of awful stuff, but will now stop looking and consider what I've read here as reassurance enough...we are really pleased to be away so early in the morning, as time spent waiting for Virgin flights always seems such a waste..

We flew indirect with AA last summer and we were very impressed with the service and would book with them again. The staff were lovely and we were well fed compared to many of the other airlines we've flown with. We had a very tight connection in Philadelphia due to a late take off from MCO due to poor weather but we sprinted from one terminal to another and made the connection - I agree that a minimum of 2 and a half hours is probably best.

I'm majorly struggling with the thought of booking indirect due touches exact worries.
Our oldest has aspergers and virgin for him are simply brilliant.
The main concern for me is not being built the windows ( I absolutely hate being in the middle section's) unless it's the bulk head row! And brandon travels far better by a window, and the entertainment breaking!
Although I went to China in 2014 with Virgin and flew premium class. And had no entertainment at all as the previous passenger had broken the tv and not told anyone!
So i had a very long flight with nothing.
They ended up giving me 15,000 free miles which topped up my miles nicely for free flight last may!

So it can happen on any plane. I don't think all that much to virgin plane food, especially not the kids meals they used to be far more fun. So I always take snacks now no matter who I fly with.
So I might bite the bullet and book the cheapest flights I can find,
I'm also toying with an indirect with Virgin as the main carrier however I'm sure they can change it to delta? Carrier anyway so not sure how much that will help.

I have flown this route with US Airways just after they merged with AA and I have also flown Virgin and BA and honestly really couldn't point out any differences. Also flying indirect has it's advantages ie clearing immigration at port of entry to US and arriving at MCO as a domestic passenger. Also being able to chose seats for free at time of booking rather than paying £200 for the privilege with Virgin. Have also flown indirect several times with young children, I find it no hassle. To be honest though I don't really care who I fly with, price is what wins it, and as a bad flyer, if I make it there I am happy, It's just a means to an end for me! Please don't worry too much, I am sure you will find it fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter