Flight Out of Orlando after Cruise

What's a good time to schedule a flight out of Orlando the day the cruise ends?
Disney says to book after 12. This gives you plenty of time typically to get to airport and get checked in. We have left as early as 11 and been fine, but I always feel a little safer with something after noon.

DCL recommends not before 11:30. You have to wait for the ship itself to clear customs so that guests can even be allowed to debark, debark, get your luggage (assuming you were not eligible for onboard airline check-in), clear customs yourself, and get to MCO. THEN there is all the typical airport stuff (less if you were able to do onboard airline check-in - but that does requires a flight after 11:30) including TSA security, and MCO is notoriously horrible in that area - so much so that I personally budget no less than half an hour for that, usually closer to an hour.

Can you book a flight before 11:30? Sure - you just can't do onboard airline check-in at all. But I personally wouldn't unless I was ok with possibly missing my flight and being able to hang out in MCO until there is a space on another flight.

eta: I thought it was 11:30, but maybe it's noon. I tend to book an afternoon or evening flight, so I never paid super close attention to the earliest time.

Yes, i wouldnt schedule anything before 12 noon. After 12 noon is best. Better to be safe than sorry.

DCL recommends not before 11:30. You have to wait for the ship itself to clear customs so that guests can even be allowed to debark, debark, get your luggage (assuming you were not eligible for onboard airline check-in), clear customs yourself, and get to MCO. THEN there is all the typical airport stuff (less if you were able to do onboard airline check-in - but that does requires a flight after 11:30) including TSA security, and MCO is notoriously horrible in that area - so much so that I personally budget no less than half an hour for that, usually closer to an hour.

Can you book a flight before 11:30? Sure - you just can't do onboard airline check-in at all. But I personally wouldn't unless I was ok with possibly missing my flight and being able to hang out in MCO until there is a space on another flight.

eta: I thought it was 11:30, but maybe it's noon. I tend to book an afternoon or evening flight, so I never paid super close attention to the earliest time.

DCL recommends flights after 11:30 for onboard checkin. And for using DCL transfers. If you are traveling via private transportation, and are in the earliest group to debark the ship, it's possible to make an earlier flight, but, as others feel, I'm more comfortable with something 12:00 or later.

Figure on allowing 2 hours to from the time you step off of the ship until you are walking into the airport. Realistically it shouldn't take that long, but that should give you a bit of leeway for delays (traffic, ship clearance, Customs line etc.). MCO is about an hour from Port Canaveral. From there, you'll need to add some more time for check-in, security and getting to the gate. The ship normally clears Customs and starts debarkation at roughly 7:30. Could be earlier, could be later, but 7:30 is a decent starting point for planning. If you are flying home on Saturday or Sunday, keep in mind that there will be multiple ships in PC turning around as well as the WDW and Universal crowds, so MCO will be very busy and security lines could be long.

If you have tickets or passes to anywhere, we actually like scheduling a later flight. Twice now we've gone to Universal for a few hours, to do a short list of things, have one last butterbeer for the trip, etc.

The only issue is that it gets us home so late. But your profile says you're on the east coast, so your flight isn't as long as ours and you're not dealing with jetlag at all.

Hi " D J "

I'll let you know may 10th.....After 13 Disney cruises , this will be the first time flying home the same day as debarking. I think DW booked us a 4 pm flight back to Chicago. :sail: Happy Cruisin'

So, will Disney not do your check in for you and print your boarding passes?

You may participate in the Onboard Airline check in if you are flying on a participating airline, on a domestic flight and your flight is after 11:30. If you can't meet all those requirements, then, no DCL will not do your checkin for you and print your boarding passes.

More information:

ONBOARD AIRLINE CHECKIN

From Port Canaveral: (from cruise documents 8/9/2014)

The requirements are below
    • You must have purchased DCL Air and/or DCL Ground Transfers
    • Your flight has to leave from Orlando International Airport after 11:30 am on the same day your cruise vacation ends.
    • Your flight must be on a participating airline:
AirTran Airways
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Air Lines
JetBlue Airways
United Airlines
US Airways

· Your final destination must be within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands)
· Each luggage piece can weigh no more than fifty (50) pounds.
· Airline specific baggage fees may apply and can vary by airline. Please check with your specific carrier for more details.
· Applicable airline baggage fees will be posted directly to your shipboard account.
· Some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and may not be able to use this service.

(from DISboards STICKY)

When you register for Onboard Airline Check-In, you are entitled to:
Receive your boarding passes and check your luggage for your return flight before you disembark the ship
Skip luggage claim at the port terminal
Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport

So, does Southwest have On Board Check In since they bought Air Tran, and Air Tran is no more?

So, does Southwest have On Board Check In since they bought Air Tran, and Air Tran is no more?

No, DCL and Southwest did a test period last year (I think it was). The option to continue wasn't picked up. No, Southwest is not a participating airline.

On both of my cruises I've retrieved my rental car and been back in Orlando by 9:30 am but I get why they say no earlier than 11:30, you never know what might come up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter