Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

I honestly don't see how this attraction could be anymore inclusive aside from some stationary seats (if the ride was designed to accommodate from the beginning). The ride vehicle is able to accommodate such a wide range of body types for both adults and children while maintaining both safety, thrills, and a high level of immersion. I do not know of any thrill or e-ticket type attraction that is able to accommodate 100% of those wanting to ride.

As with any new attraction with a unique ride vehicle, it will take time for CMs to learn and coach proper "boarding procedure" for different body types. I assume each CM working the FoP attraction has a rotation manning the test seat. The experience there will be invaluable in helping them acquire knowledge to help people of all body types board the actual vehicle. Let's just give it some time. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone who's average-sized but with very large calves ridden this? DH isn't exactly overweight (6', 195) but, as a horse rider, has huge calves. Would the test seat indicate that he won't fit? He's not a big Disney guy to begin with. If I make him stand in a long line and then he can't ride it won't be pretty!

Thanks!

The test seat has the leg locks as well and the indicator is tied to all 3 restraints so if any one can't go far enough it won't leave the red.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I have a question in contradiction to the issues posted. My daughter is a person lacking of size! She meets the height requirement as she's easily 48" tall, but she's a string bean, sitting at about 41 pounds...so my question is will the restraints go small enough to tightly secure her in?

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I have a question in contradiction to the issues posted. My daughter is a person lacking of size! She meets the height requirement as she's easily 48" tall, but she's a string bean, sitting at about 41 pounds...so my question is will the restraints go small enough to tightly secure her in?

Yes it will.

I honestly don't see how this attraction could be anymore inclusive aside from possibly adding some stationary seats. The ride vehicle is able to accommodate such a wide range of body types for both adults and children while maintaining both safety, thrills, and a high level of immersion. I do not know of any thrill or e-ticket type attraction that is able to accommodate 100% of those wanting to ride.

As with any new attraction with a unique ride vehicle, it will take time for CMs to learn and coach proper "boarding procedure" for different body types. I assume each CM working the FoP attraction has a rotation manning the test seat. The experience there will be invaluable in helping them acquire knowledge to help people of all body types board the actual vehicle. Let's just give it some time. :)

I dont think adding stationary seats would work. It would probably cause motion sickness for a lot of people. The reason this ride works is because everything moves in sync.

I dont think adding stationary seats would work. It would probably cause motion sickness for a lot of people. The reason this ride works is because everything moves in sync.

I agree. I was speaking exclusively in terms of general inclusivity for any similar attraction (i.e. Minions at Universal). :)

Re: the comment that said, "I don't know anyone in the 300-350 range for weight. I know they exist, but I don't agree that there are 'so many people' in that range."

As a nurse in a clinic, who weighs people all day, every day, I assure you that there are "so many people" in that range. More than you might think. Not always easy to estimate weight just by looking at someone - people carry weight so differently.

What roller coaster is that? Who are they?
I'd imagine they were referencing Rock'N'Roller Coaster. It does several inversions, and does fit a variety of sizes. (So does California Screamin'.)(My 6'6" 400 lb brother and my 51" 45 lb daughter can ride both comfortably.)

Yes this could be fixed easily vs Everest by using this method. BUT it could be very costly depending on what they will have to do to these seats, would there be restructuring?

Is my memory correct that when Universal has run in to these issues they just changed a few seats on rides, and directs those parties to those locations? This might be a viable option where there may be a new seat in each grouping or on each floor, that could accommodate guests who need it with the minimal impact to down time or costs.

Unlike say Everest where the line moves fast and there is no time to "think", the FoP line moves slow and groups are hand picked for specific theaters. This would not impact operation.

IIRC the mummy ride at universal Hollywood has seats in the rear cars that fit larger guests,I know because I was directed to them when I was in another line.

Re: the comment that said, "I don't know anyone in the 300-350 range for weight. I know they exist, but I don't agree that there are 'so many people' in that range."

As a nurse in a clinic, who weighs people all day, every day, I assure you that there are "so many people" in that range. More than you might think. Not always easy to estimate weight just by looking at someone - people carry weight so differently.

this is true,and there are more and more every year due to the "standard American diet". I was in that range and finally have changed they way and what I eat and walk every day and have lost 140 lbs . edit to add: I was 334 lbs and most people guessed I was 240 or 250 from appearance.

Last edited:
Has anyone who's average-sized but with very large calves ridden this? DH isn't exactly overweight (6', 195) but, as a horse rider, has huge calves. Would the test seat indicate that he won't fit? He's not a big Disney guy to begin with. If I make him stand in a long line and then he can't ride it won't be pretty!

Thanks!
I have large calves from playing hockey. I fit perfectly with out any issues. Follow the directions and your husband will be fine

I've been on the other end - ridiculed for being underweight. 5'3' and 95 lbs. Called bone-rack, had the overweight neighbor call out over the property line about how skinny my legs were, etc. My wedding pictures were a bit ruined - my cousin squeezed my shoulders in my off the shoulder wedding dress while she said "you're so skinny!" and left red finger marks on me. You can see them in the close-ups. So I get the mean-spirit.

That said, I don't know anyone in the 300-350 range for weight. I know they exist, but I don't agree that there are 'so many people' in that range. Remember that WDW has to appeal to families - and families sometimes have small kids, and they need to be able to ride a lot of the attractions. The 44" height requirement is already limiting, if they made the seats bigger, they'd have to raise the height requirement as well, to make sure the seats were safe. If they had to make room for larger legs, how would smaller legs fit safely?
Having also been on the skinny end of the spectrum, I think the comments toward smaller people are most often meant as compliments, especially when said directly to the person. (Obviously that's not always the case. I did find out that people were accusing me of being anorexic behind my back, even I've never had what's even approached an eating disorder, which clearly wasn't meant to be complimentary.) The same cannot be said for larger people. I have a few family members who are quite heavy, and the comments they endure make anything I've *ever* heard said about a thin person pale in comparison.

I have a lot of anxieties, and would personally feel extremely self conscious if a CM asked me to try out any test seat. It would be especially bad if the seat were in a conspicuous location. I'm sure they could find a place for a test seat that is out of the way so that people aren't "on display" and so the seat isn't in the way of pictures, and include signage so people know the test seat is available.

Also, if they included stationary seats for those who can't use the ride vehicle for whatever reason, couldn't they just tell people to close their eyes if they become nauseated?

Also, if they included stationary seats for those who can't use the ride vehicle for whatever reason, couldn't they just tell people to close their eyes if they become nauseated?

I see what you mean, but I see that going over like a lead balloon. The response would be, "then what's the point of riding?" and CMs would be going round and round in circles with people all the time. A CM couldn't exactly say to someone "there really isn't, now, without the movement to accompany what you're seeing"

Last edited:
I've been on the other end - ridiculed for being underweight. 5'3' and 95 lbs. Called bone-rack, had the overweight neighbor call out over the property line about how skinny my legs were, etc. My wedding pictures were a bit ruined - my cousin squeezed my shoulders in my off the shoulder wedding dress while she said "you're so skinny!" and left red finger marks on me. You can see them in the close-ups. So I get the mean-spirit.

That said, I don't know anyone in the 300-350 range for weight. I know they exist, but I don't agree that there are 'so many people' in that range. Remember that WDW has to appeal to families - and families sometimes have small kids, and they need to be able to ride a lot of the attractions. The 44" height requirement is already limiting, if they made the seats bigger, they'd have to raise the height requirement as well, to make sure the seats were safe. If they had to make room for larger legs, how would smaller legs fit safely?

I'm with you - 5'5 and about 100lbs. People say cruel and ugly things to us too "call me when you've got more cushion for the pushin" comes to mind. People can just be ugly...period.

Truly, its about finding a safe ride experience that fits the most people. It sucks that it may exclude some, but I think, on the whole WDW does a fantastic job of fitting as many as possible!

I see what you mean, but I see that going over like a lead balloon. The response would be, "then what's the point of riding?" and CMs would be going round and round in circles with people all the time.

Closing ones eyes seems like common sense to me, so I think a lot of people would do so even without being told. I can't think of a reason why it would be too hard to tell people to close their eyes if they start to feel ill as part of directing them to a stationary seat. Obviously not everyone will listen, but that's really no different from people not listening to any other instruction, and/or not using common sense. CMs are tasked with telling people to take off ponchos, properly store loose items, not to sit in certain places, not to lean on railings, etc, all the time. There will always be a contingent that just doesn't listen, but I think the majority of people would.

Closing ones eyes seems like common sense to me, so I think a lot of people would do so even without being told. I can't think of a reason why it would be too hard to tell people to close their eyes if they start to feel ill as part of directing them to a stationary seat. Obviously not everyone will listen, but that's really no different from people not listening to any other instruction, and/or not using common sense. CMs are tasked with telling people to take off ponchos, properly store loose items, not to sit in certain places, not to lean on railings, etc, all the time. There will always be a contingent that just doesn't listen, but I think the majority of people would.

FYI: the first time I rode I did close my eyes at some spots but STILL got the dropping feeling (now i know why after watching the room video). So you will still get that feeling but you wont get the visuals

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter