Flight Change !

Delta is notorious for doing this, and it's the reason why we will never fly with them again. The last time they pulled this on us, they changed our 4PM outbound flight, which we had specifically chosen in order to avoid having to take the kids out of school an extra day, and changed it to noon. They in turn changed our return flight so that we were leaving Orlando 6 hours earlier than we had planned. These were flights that we had carefully planned and chosen over other airlines because we wanted those specific times.

We've been flying Southwest ever since, and they have yet to change a flight on us.

Delta is notorious for doing this, and it's the reason why we will never fly with them again. The last time they pulled this on us, they changed our 4PM outbound flight, which we had specifically chosen in order to avoid having to take the kids out of school an extra day, and changed it to noon. They in turn changed our return flight so that we were leaving Orlando 6 hours earlier than we had planned. These were flights that we had carefully planned and chosen over other airlines because we wanted those specific times.

We've been flying Southwest ever since, and they have yet to change a flight on us.
This is so true about Delta! I had a flight to Tampa earlier this year, and they changed the flight times 12 times! And each time they did, I lost my seat selection. They finally changed one leg so that we only had 10 minutes between flights. I called them, and they had to completely re-do our tickets to get us to Tampa at a decent hour. I had another flight where they changed the flight and then the plane, and re-assigned me a seat that didn't even exist on the new plane!

But now I have a dilemma. I have a $500 credit with Delta/Northwest due to a canceled trip from last year. I know I should use that credit for this year's vacation, but I hate Delta SO MUCH, that I'm actually considering forgoing the credit just to not fly with them. How sad is that? I know that I probably won't; it's hard to justify giving up that much $$ because I hate an airline. But it's really crazy-making to fly with them!

Sayhello

But now I have a dilemma. I have a $500 credit with Delta/Northwest due to a canceled trip from last year. I know I should use that credit for this year's vacation, but I hate Delta SO MUCH, that I'm actually considering forgoing the credit just to not fly with them. How sad is that? I know that I probably won't; it's hard to justify giving up that much $$ because I hate an airline. But it's really crazy-making to fly with them!
Sayhello

We have the SAME dilemma! DH had to fly Delta with the military a few months ago, and his flight was canceled, so he has a $400 voucher. We're planning to do the Dover to Barcelona DCL cruise this July, and the $400 would really come in handy to use for the flight, but I'm really not sure it's worth worrying up until the very last minute that our flights will be changed, especially for an international trip.

The other thing that ticks me off about Delta is that when they change the flights they re-assign the seat and most of the time they are not together. Last time I flew Delta, I had two children - My son and his friend. I ended up checking my email weekly to see what changes they had made to my flight and then call them to re-assign the seats to that the children were not scattered all over the plane. I think we ended up with 5 flight changes, the last one within 24 hours of flight time. On one leg of the flight we were not able to re-assign the seats so everyone was in a different part of the plane.

That was my last Delta flight.

My one and only time flighting with Delta we had six seats all together. Delta changed the flight and didn't put any of the seats together. We had a 2 year old that was in a seat by herself with no one from our party within two row. The lady who checks you would not even try changing the seats. After we boarded the plane, we talked to the flight attendants and other guest and they moved their seat so my niece didn't have to sit next to a stranger. Also my wife has MS so when we travel we take the wheelchair with us. Delta gave us a hard time about bringing our own wheelchair. Plus we ask for the bulkhead or a seat in one of the first couple of row because my has trouble with her walking and balance. Where does Delta put us in row 44 of a plane with 47 rows. Another thing Delta did was that we purchased our tickets before the stupid baggage fees, they changed the flights after the fee when in to place. The lady at the counter tried to get us to pay the fees. I told her that we purchase our original tickets before the fee and show her paperwork I print from the internet. I was told that only applied to the original flight because our flights where changed we are responsible for paying the fee now. I told I don't think so and I want a manager. The manager tried to the same thing but I had all my paperwork so Delta back off the fees. That was my only time flighting with Delta and I am going to trying make it my only time.

I have had numerous flight change issues with Delta as well. Luckily I am crazy with the internet and I find out about the changes fairly soon after they make them, which allows me time to fix the problem if necessary, but never once have I received a call or an email telling me about the change.

I've been told that it has to do with the fact that there was still a lot of time before my flight and that another change may still be made, but when anything changes, I feel like you should be notified ASAP. What if I wasn't crazy about checking on them all the time???

And honestly, is it fair that anyone should feel like they have to keep checking all the time :confused3

In most cases with a schedule change, if you call and are firm with them, they will be accommodating. Our (Continental) flights for our Honeymoon got changed around so we had a 30-minute layover in Houston (during which we needed to clear customs AND change terminals) and we were separated by seats; a few calls and all was well again...normal layover time and seats back together. I've had a similar issues with NW, where a flight time changed, and a firm call rectified the situation.

Part of the issue stems from the fact that we can book flights so far in advance (and when we do, we plan on those flights being exact). The airlines' schedules will fluctuate in this time period (just as we all change the details of our vacation plans), and that can lead to flight times changing (which I agree is irritating). The best defense is to stay on top of what you booked and check the flight you are currently scheduled for; make calls to the airlines as needed (and don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor if needed).

I have had numerous flight change issues with Delta as well. Luckily I am crazy with the internet and I find out about the changes fairly soon after they make them, which allows me time to fix the problem if necessary, but never once have I received a call or an email telling me about the change.

I've been told that it has to do with the fact that there was still a lot of time before my flight and that another change may still be made, but when anything changes, I feel like you should be notified ASAP. What if I wasn't crazy about checking on them all the time???

And honestly, is it fair that anyone should feel like they have to keep checking all the time :confused3

I still say it is wrong!!! The airlines is the only indusaty where you can buy one thing and it can be changed at will. You would never accept a different car without it being addressed before being picked up or a meal at a resturant. You order steak (Beef) but they were out so they gave you a pork chop in place. Still food but not what you ordered.

I understand the need to be flexable but to change my flight time by hours and not advise me so I can arrange my ride to the flight is just wrong. If this is such an issue then why not sell flights in a time period. For example flight"A" to leave between 8AM and Noon. To arrive between 10:30AM and 2:00 PM. Then when the time gets closer they provide you will the exact flight time. It is not the need to make changes it is the sense that they have the right to do what trhey want. At one point they changed a flight I had to a different day.

It has become so uncomfortable to me that I will spend two full days or a total of 24 hours in a car to get to the port to cruise to avoid feeling like I need to check and recheck my flights. I am just happy that I have a job that allows me to take the extra time.

I also know that it will take an act of God to change what the airlines do so if you plan to fly plan on at least weekly checks on your flight times.

I can definately sympathize with you all and can relate to the apparent lack of scruples from Delta.

I just checked my reservation for an upcoming trip in March and noticed a bunch of changes. My flight from CA to ATL-MCO had been changed. Apparently, Delta no longer has flights from CA to ATL. My flight was now leaving 30mins earlier (no biggie) and flying into Salt Lake. Here is the kicker... they had a couple hour layover then flying into ATL and then into MCO. The problem was that they had my family of 4 arriving in ATL at 3:55PM and my flight leaving ATL at 2:55PM! I mean, what braniac thought that was going to work?!? Albert Einstein? :rotfl2:

I called them up and explained the situation. Eventually the rep on the phone came back and offered a a direct flight from SLC to MCO. You would think there would be some checks and balances to ensure that when they do make a change that the connections are feasible.

I will be checking to see if any other changes occur before our trip. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Airtran changed our flight time on our last cruise. I was so mad at first! But then I realized it was a blessing in disguise. Southwests flights were cheaper with better flight times. So I cancelled my airtran flight and rebooked on Southwest.

yup - three Airtran flights in 12 months, THREE last minutes changes! lucky for us Southwest just started service from Milwaukee and now we'll be flying them.

Used to fly Midwest when they were good, but now they stink too (in fact aren't they part of Delta now?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter