Flight advice with a 23 month old?

staci

DIS Veteran
We are leaving in 4 1/2 weeks for our first trip with DS (age 23 months). We have been to WDW 5 times pre-kids.

Do any of you frequent travelers have any advice for the plane ride? We will be flying direct from Chicago (flying Southwest), and have purchased him a seat on the plane. Our flight leaves at 8:30 am, so at least he will be well rested.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you are flying with another adult, have one adult preboard with the carseat (if you have one), toys, etc. and the other adult wait with your son and be the last to board. This works for us, since dd can run and let out some energy, instead of having her sit for an extra 30 minutes inside the plane while everyone else boards.

Take plenty of water and snacks. The games we like are magna doodle, the magic markers and fingerpaints from crayola and stickers.

Julie

Make sure to have them drink form a bottle, or if they still use pacifiers, to use a pacifier at takeoff and as soon as plane starts its descent to equalize pressure in their ears. I brought our twins at that age small stickers from the kids book aisle at a local discount store, which kept them very busy.

I'll take any advice I can get also! We'll be flying with our 23 month old in 2 weeks. The last time we flew with her was when she was 13 months old, so quite a bit has changed since then. We are bringing a portable DVD player, Crayola Magic Marker/Paper set thing (where the markers will only write on certain paper), stickers, a couple of her favorite little dolls. We have direct flight out of Indy so it's about 2 hours. Can one of us go ahead and pre-board with the carry-ons, toys, etc., while the other waits with DD to be the last to board on Southwest? We did that the last time but we had assigned seats so it wasn't a big deal. Not sure how that would work on SW.

I packed a backpack of fun stuff that my 18 month old hadn't seen before. On take off and landing I had him nibble on cherrios (for the ear popping). We flew Delta and they gave us the line "sorry we do not let you pre board with children" On the flight down they still let us after I explained about the car seat. However on the way back they did not let us preboard. It was a little tricky to get that seat in with people there. (Easiest way is to buckle it in standing behind the seat.)

I recommend taking his carseat. He's already used to it in the car, and he knows what to expect. If he's sitting loose in the airplane seat, or even with just a lapbelt, he won't understand why he can't get up and walk around.

A portable DVD player is a good idea if he likes videos.

We usually fly Delta and they do not allow pre-boarding because they load in zones. I found a simple way around this though. I would wait until the zone just before ours was loading, get at the end of the line (wait a few minutes for everyone else to queue up) and push the stroller with car seat up to the plane. I did this several times and no one commented to me about loading out of my "zone". One time someone did ask where the baby was, lol. Dh would waiting with ds in the terminal until the end of our zone was loading and bring ds on board. By that time, I had the seat installed and we could just settle in.

FYI: The trick I use to get the seat installed is reclining it as far as possible, pull the seat belt out almost all they way, thread it through and buckle it, then pull the strap to tighten the aircraft seat belt. Last step, put the seat back in upright position.

hth!

Not to gross anyone out, but DEFINITELY pack an extra set of clothes for the 23 month old and an extra t-shirt for you. When our DS was 23 months old he got airsick. Unfortunately it was an awful flight; it was very turbulent. We kept changing elevations. Everyone's ears were popping like crazy. I think most of the passengers were pretty uncomfortable, and I am sure the smell of my son's vomit didn't help anyone. YIKES! Talk about embarassing. Thankfully everyone was very sympathetic and kind.

On a positive note, since then we have had great flying experiences. Both of our DSs love to fly. We really haven't had trouble entertaining them b/c the airplane is entertaining enough. We always pack lots of snacks, books, matchbox cars (sometimes I buy a couple new ones since they are so cheap).

If possible, like other posters have said, bring your carseat. It is a familiar spot for them. I am a little worried about our trip this November. We won't be bringing our 30 month old DS's carseat. Since we won't be able to use it on ME or Disney transportation, it seemed like a big think to lug around. Any thoughts on this decision would be welcomed.

I hope you have a magical trip!

:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: pirate:

Staci......we are leaving in 4 1/2 weeks from Midway on Southwest with our 30month old. Maybe we'll see you there!!! I'm not too worried cause the flight is not that long. He did last all the way to San Francisco last summer, and vomitted 1/2 hour before landing. Such is life though....what are you gonna do???? Anyways, I plan on packing some new things for him, such as stickers, and markers, and of course snacks. He should be fine. I just hope I can pre-board with the car seat. Have a great trip!!!!

Since you purchased a seat, you won't need a birth certificate for proof of age. I HIGHLY recommend you bring the carseat on board and strap your child in it, your child will be much safer and more comfortable in familiar seat and more likely to be content in the seat instead of running up the aisle. You should be aware that the carseat must be in the window seat and you can't be seated in the exit row or the rows directly in front of and behind the exit row. Some people suggest having the bulkhead row but you don't have access to you carryons in that row.

Pack some new age approriate toys and plenty of drinks and snacks. I found that some sippy cups would leak in my bag due to the pressure change, so be careful of that. I planned my trips around DD's nap times and more often than not she sleep most of the flight.

As PP mentioned, if you can have another adult with you preboard and install the seat. If you traveling alone, try to preboard to allow time to get the seat installed and get everyone settled.

After landing, I waiting until everyone else gets off before I lug the car seat off the plane.

Last year my family flew from Dallas to Orlando. We took DD's (2 1/2 at the time) car seat. DH took the car seat and some of the carry-ons. I waited with DD until almost everyone boarded. This way DD could people watch and run around until the very last moment. As for the plane ride, definately take new items. I went to the dollar store and picked up some toys. They were a hit. Another tip is put those items away until you fly home. That way the kids are not bored with them before the trip back. Since that flight, I have also found out the benefits of Play Doh. It does not stick to everything or stain anymore. (And it is fun for you too. :teeth: ) We take it to most restaurants. DD plays until the food comes. I am hoping this works in 10 days when we go to WDW!

We didn't think pre-boarding was a good idea for our munchkin. We waited until they called the last rows before we got on. It only took us a few minutes to get our munchkin settled, and we tried to not be on the plane any longer then we had to.

We had one CRAZY trip with munch where we were stuck on the runway for an hour and a half, and that made me a firm DVD player advocate. The portable DVD is the BEST invention ever! Although her TV is limited at home, when we are traveling she gets as many movies as she wants! :teeth:

Also invaluable to us were some small NEW things to capture her interest....new book, small steering wheel.....stuff to pull out at the first sign of a breakdown. Plenty of snacks and a change of clothes are also the way to go. Even if you don't use them, it's good to know that you have them ready to go.

Good Luck!
Mel

Why take a 23 month old to WDW? They won't remember anything. Wait until they are 4 or 5 so they can go on the rides, walk (no need to bring your megastroller), and go pee without diapers! Much better for child and parents. :cool1:
I got my flameproof suit on and I don't care! :rotfl2:

fiveacesmmb, I thought it was 4 1/2 weeks, till I looked at the calendar and I guess it is 5 1/2 weeks (Sept 30th), Now I have more time to wait!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I really hope he doesnt get sick :eek: I am SO bad at dealing with that! I guess DH will be sitting next to him :rotfl:

As far as why we are taking him now, we have many reasons. One, my mom has been very sick for a few years now, and is finally coming through it all after surgery over 1 1/2 years ago. She would love to see him there, and that may not be a reality in 10 years. DH and I are planning more children, and we realize that WDW with two young children sounds alot more daunting than going with one. :eek: Therefore, if we dont go now, it will be 7-8 years before we are willing to try it again, and she may not be able to make it. :sad1: This is as much of a gift to my parents as it is to him. We have realized that life is very short and can take unexpected turns. ALso, by taking him now, he is free, and while he will be unable to retain the longterm memory, he will take so much pleasure in the moments as they happen. He is going to DIE when he sees donald duck and ariel! :jumping1: We were able to get the free dining plan, which made the trip much more affordable than it would have been otherwise. I am also a elementary teacher, but only subbing during my children's early years. :teacher: Once he is 5-6 I will have a full time position, and will be very limited for time of year to visit the world. We thought long and hard about our decision, but this is what worked best for our family situation. ::MickeyMo

My pediatrician suggested that I give my DS (first flight at 20 months) some decogestant about an hour or so before boarding to help keep his nose/ears clear... helps with the popping, etc... :wizard: Best of luck!!!
I know... I know... medicine for "no reason"... but it works and it's a lot better than listening to him cry in pain and agony!!! :love2:

owtrbnks....there is no need for a flame proof suit......it's just your opinion. However, I take my 30month old to WDW because he's my child, and I ENJOY being around him. I didn't have children to dump him off with a relative. I actually want to be around him. And if that means a little inconvenience for me......then that's my problem. And no, he won't remember it but I will. :flower:

fiveacesmmb said:
owtrbnks....there is no need for a flame proof suit......it's just your opinion. However, I take my 30month old to WDW because he's my child, and I ENJOY being around him. I didn't have children to dump him off with a relative. I actually want to be around him. And if that means a little inconvenience for me......then that's my problem. And no, he won't remember it but I will. :flower:

And there's always photos!!!

Don't understand the need for that person to share the opinion here---it isn't like the OP is going to say--well, I'll be....let's just cancel that trip--we never thought about that!!!

Babies need stimulation---and a disney trip is perfect for that (obviously not a necessity for stimulation). Them remembering it isn't as important as them enjoying it. More connections to be made in the brain.

For that matter--why not chain the kid up in the crib until they are 3 or 4. All that stuff they won't remember is just a waste of time, right??? :teeth: (Sarcasm intended :earboy2: )

owtrbnks...the first trip we took with our kids was DD 18 mos old and DD 2 1/2. They are 4 and 5 now and remember all the trips we have taken. We pull out the pictures and go down memory lane alot maybe that's what helps them remember.

OP...have fun with your child...I had been to Disney before childless and there is nothing like seeing WDW through the eyes of your child even though they may or may not remember it 10 years from now. I got choked up when my DD saw Tinkerbell before the fireworks at MK, she turned to me and said "Wow mommy she is really real"...you can't beat that feeling.

In response to your original post...I agree with the other posters...wait as long as you can to board. Let your child run around and get all his/her energy out while waiting. I made the mistake the first time boarding first and the kids were restless way before the plane even took off. We take the color wonder marker sets and this trip we actually found some magnent paper dolls in the Dayton airport that were Snow White. They played with those the whole trip even in lines for rides...those were a lifesaver!

Have fun!! Be prepared to want to buy every picture they take there, they are all so cute!!

At that age they ususally still take naps. We were lucky on our last trip and DD 2 slept the entire flight down from NY. She fell asleep just before or soon after take off and did not wake up until we were on final approach for landing. A very peasant trip.

If your child naps in their car seat then, if possible, try not to let your child nap before the trip to the airport and chances are they will sleep for at least part of the flight.

We flew SW with DD with she was 22mo. in June. Our biggest problem was her kicking and pushing the chair in front of her –– she was at PRIME kicking height and didn't understand why she couldn't push with her feet. We took her shoes and socks off, and that alleviated the kicking (it hurt her toes to kick!).

As for keeping her busy, Mommy had a back of "tricks" that I pulled out every 20. minutes or so –- a Magna-Doodle with an ATTACHED stick, GummySavers (which I cut in half to make them smaller BEFORE we left –– and DH and I ate them, too!), an Ariel cellphone I bought from the Disney Store, two new books and lots of snacks. Basically, we just kept her mouth full the whole time with Cheerios, goldfish and GummySavers.

On the ride home, we did the same thing, only with little stuff I bought in the parks and LOTS of stickers, which she loves. She fell asleep on our descent -- everybody around us was laughing at us because she'd been so busy talking the whole time, then it suddenly got very quiet...

You also shouldn't have to explain to anyone WHY you're taking your child to Walt Disney World. They all enjoy it on different levels at different ages. We just got back in June and are going again in September thanks to $56/RT tickets and the free dining. My folks and brother are coming with us, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter