Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers: My Final Morning, Finally! NEW 4/12

Welcome back! I look forward to reading the next TR! :goodvibes

Wonderful update - full of amazing pictures! So did your Mom like AK a little bit more this trip, or is she still kinda meh on it?

The picture of Wishes from your balcony is simply beautiful. I can completely understand why you didn't want to leave the GF. I hope you were still able to enjoy the BWI after that...

Hi Brooke! Thanks! I will admit that this TR is suffering from the next one, which I'm already writing in MS Word... :rolleyes:

My mom does like the AK more now than she used to, but I think that's more from our last trip -- when a ton of animals were out, and it felt really empty in the park -- than this one. I guess it's just luck of the draw. She does love Everest, though (how could she not?)!

We woke up on Wednesday mildly depressed that we were leaving the GF for the Boardwalk Inn. Our original plan had been to wake up super-early, take a taxi to the BWI, check in, then make it to DHS for rope drop.

We decided to scrap that plan and head to the MK for an hour, so we could linger in our new favorite resort for as long as possible.

1079872858_QgYfa-L.jpg

You can see it was a gray and misty morning, which made for some blah photos on my part, unfortunately!

1079871721_wtg2e-L.jpg

1079870493_WLYDD-L.jpg

After grabbing some coffees at Gasparilla, we hopped on the monorail and arrived at the MK around 8:40. It’s taken some work on my part, but I’m gradually convincing my mom that in off seasons, there’s no need to be waiting at the turnstiles at 8:00 AM!

1079846842_xGFNr-L.jpg

1079847378_Dcc4P-L.jpg

When the park opened, we didn’t even bother with FPs. We rode BTMRR, Peter Pan, Pooh, IASW, and Splash Mountain, where we got drenched. Thank goodness we still had a room to go back to, where we could dry off and change!

By this time it was around 10:00 (we’d done all of that in an hour!), so we left the park and took the ferry back to the GF.

1079852302_YbJSv-L.jpg

1079851490_MHcbP-L.jpg

We finished packing, changed, and spent a last lovely half hour on our perfect balcony, taking in our perfect view.

1079867671_RQx3b-L.jpg

Our “front yard.”

1079865436_MBAmx-L.jpg

1079893633_XmeQS-L.jpg

1079868864_koG3g-L.jpg

1079850729_ZNyVG-L.jpg

Oh, Grand Floridian, how we will miss you!

We dragged ourselves out the door at eleven on the dot, and took a cab to our new home, the Boardwalk Inn. We were staying Club Level, but were unsure of the check-in procedure, so we walked up to the (empty) online check-in line. As soon as the CM there heard the words “Club Level” come out of our mouths, it was like she didn’t care about us at all. She just turned away, as if she was angry that we’d bothered her. Finally she begrudgingly mumbled that she’d call up to Club Level for us.

Geez, thanks.

A few minutes later, a CL CM came down to collect us and bring us up to the club floor. Having only stayed CL at the YC, it was interesting to see how different it was here—instead of accessing the floor with your key from the elevator, you have to use it to open a set of double doors about halfway down the (typically long) hallway.

The CL CMs, unlike the check-in one, were very helpful, and the check-in process went smoothly. Our room wasn’t ready yet—making us zero out of three for room readiness; much different from my trip the October before, when both of my rooms were ready when I checked in—so we stowed our bags with Bell Services and headed out. We were nervous about our room: Would we be bummed for the next two days, that we weren’t at the GF anymore? Would it be noisy, overlooking the boardwalk? “Quiet room” had been my only request, but I was still worried.

On our way to Epcot, we stopped at the Bakery and split a chicken wrap. I know, I know, we should have had some cake or something. But it was lunchtime, and we needed something a little more lunch-y than that!

1079911206_wHZyo-L.jpg

I took a few pictures of the area while we ate.

1079844733_RvPp4-L.jpg

Our beloved YC—now relegated to our second favorite resort.

1079892811_Lm7FU-L.jpg

1079908622_kdoE9-L.jpg

After our quick and only mildly satisfying lunch, we set off for Epcot. Gotta love being so close to the International Gateway! Naturally, we went straight for our Soarin’ FPs. It must’ve been around 1:00, and the return time was between 4:00 and 5:00. Not too bad!

1079857308_8jGo4-L.jpg

We decided to hop in line for Livin’ with the Land, even though it had a ten-minute wait (long for us; usually we walk right on to that ride).

1079856186_Nte2Y-L.jpg

1079855382_FMiQJ-L.jpg

1079854433_7FLKV-L.jpg

1079853631_vZYG5-L.jpg

For some reason I always need to take a lettuce shot. It’s probably my subconscious telling me I should eat more of it.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

After our ride, I ambled around taking pictures for a bit while my mom did some Active Parenting. With four daughters who live all over the country (I’m in New York, one’s in Colorado, one’s in Hawaii, and one’s in L.A.), my mom spends a lot of time on the phone!

1079881108_QGzzA-L.jpg

1079864697_LoBMP-L.jpg

1079888243_3H6wV-L.jpg

1079890115_6tDCt-L.jpg

My mom, in action:
1079849255_BTwED-L.jpg

1079848193_mtixo-L.jpg

During the Flower & Garden Festival, this is easily my favorite vista:
1079886715_LGPcG-L.jpg

1079884969_Wg6mi-L.jpg

We’d gotten our text that our room was ready, and since we couldn’t wait to see it, we decided to head back around 2:00, taking pictures along the way.

1079891868_XL9s6-L.jpg

1079879346_E4T3y-L.jpg

1079882987_HwbtN-L.jpg

1079860337_uAjYf-L.jpg

1079859438_s45QY-L.jpg

1079858480_ZiEQG-L.jpg

1079912646_fm8iY-L.jpg

1079900636_QxDu3-L.jpg

I think the Canada gardens might be the most beautiful spot in the World Showcase, even if you’re not eating at Le Cellier.

1079899006_AVWFE-L.jpg

1079896006_tNUjS-L.jpg

1079897592_XnuYv-L.jpg

Having now been to three Flower & Garden Festivals and two Food & Wine Festivals at Epcot, I can definitively say I like the F&G ones best. Epcot is utterly beautiful at any time of year, but during F&G, it’s truly breathtaking. And much less crowded than during Food & Wine!

1079913347_vdgdX-L.jpg

This so calls for a clever caption. But I got nothin’. Suggestions?

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

Finally we made our way back to the Boardwalk, headed up to the concierge floor, passed through the sliding glass doors with the power of our concierge key, and said hi to the always-friendly CM manning the desk there. We walked down the hall a bit, just a few doors past the lounge.

A few seconds later, we were greeted by this:

1079910358_8MVYj-L.jpg

1079909700_QsmuU-L.jpg

1079907607_vsuuh-L.jpg

1079904768_JN2Yv-L.jpg

1079906568_KAdGg-L.jpg

Oh my goodness, it was a suite!!!!

Now, this wasn’t an upgrade or anything; we had booked this room, we just had no idea it was going to be so gigantic! When I’d booked the trip, I’d wanted the Yacht Club for those two nights, because it’s our favorite. I’d never stayed at the BC or the BWI before, but my mom had, and she thought the BWI was too noisy, so I was very disappointed when there weren’t any YC or BC rooms available with my pin or with the general public discount. I hemmed and hawed a bit with the CM on the phone, wondering what to do. I was actually crazily contemplating full-price YC rooms (I don’t think I actually would’ve been that crazy. But it was crossing my mind, anyway). The CM said, “I can get you a Deluxe Boardwalk room with your pin…it’s concierge level, and it looks like it’s a bit bigger than the Yacht Club rooms, too.”

That’s all she said about it: “a bit bigger.” Try three times bigger!

I went with it because the BWI Deluxe CL, with the pin, was way cheaper than a standard YC room full price.

So the whole suite thing was a total surprise! And what a nice one! We weren’t feeling quite so bad about leaving the GF anymore!

I should say, for the record, that the room itself was looking a little worn, especially in the living room area...the fabric on the couch was torn in a few places, and it was such a big space that it actually could’ve used more furniture. We didn’t care, though—we loved it!

1079894552_JjGAk-L.jpg

We stepped out on the balcony:

1079844056_wN5HQ-L.jpg

1079903924_ZG48g-L.jpg

1079905652_7ksTb-L.jpg

1079902835_MPTZS-L.jpg

1079901682_Lva9F-L.jpg

and realized we were right smack in the middle above Boardwalk Bakery!

1084297265_GqAmq-L.jpg

We unpacked, grabbed some sodas from the lounge, and strolled back on over to Epcot, where we got another set of FPs for Soarin’ and rode Spaceship Earth.

1079846045_2Yy7X-L.jpg

1079845324_x4AQn-L.jpg

Then we went back to the BWI, to freshen up for dinner. We were very hot—we’d done a whole lot of walking back and forth that day!

We collected our free wine and some pot stickers in the lounge and hung out for a bit on our cute little balcony. The difference in vibes between the GF and the BWI was striking: Both are amazing resorts with amazing views, but the GF is 100% peaceful (or 98%, anyway), whereas the BWI is infused with the energy of the Boardwalk. Which was really fun. We decided we still liked the GF better, but it was great to be able to experience both types of places in a single vacation!

Even though we’re both typically very prompt people, we were so enjoying our time on our balcony that we didn’t leave for our 6:00 reservation at the Swolphin’s Il Mulino until right at 6:00. I figured, it was so nearby, we would only be a few minutes late.

Somehow, though, we managed to get lost on our way out of the Boardwalk. I still have no idea how this happened. But we did find the Garden Suites accidentally, and now I have a new mission: To stay in a BWI Garden Suite. They’re so adorable! Each one has its own, uniquely landscaped little garden out front, and they look out over the BWI quiet pool (which I assume stays pretty quiet, because it’s truly not that easy to find!).

1079877790_YMc3g-L.jpg

1079876450_RisRV-L.jpg

1079874844_mWCVp-L.jpg

I can’t imagine the circumstances that will ever allow me to stay in one of these…a very special occasion with DH, maybe? If I can ever get him to WDW in the first place?

Eventually we found our way out of the BWI maze—it seemed like we had to go up and down countless flights of one-story stairs—and headed toward the Swan. My dad called just as we were entering, so we ended up fifteen minutes late, after all.

But it really didn’t matter: Il Mulino was deserted. They seated us right away, and of course tried to seat us at a terrible, tiny, wall-less table in the center of the room, far from the windows, even though the place was literally empty. We asked if we could have a 4-top by the windows instead, and they said that was fine. We had the entire, large room we were sitting in to ourselves for the entire meal!

Our waiter, Luigi, was a total Bronx-born New Yorker, and lots of fun. The food was solidly good, though not spectacular. But it was a welcome change of pace from the more-typical WDW restaurants, and it was nice to not be surrounded by kids (or by anyone, for that matter) for a change.

1079863858_Rwmoa-L.jpg

They brought us free antipasti to start.

1079863069_Jmzai-L.jpg

My appetizer - Polpette Al Forno - Italian meatballs with tomato basil sauce and Parmesan cheese $12 – Sorry, I took a bite before I remembered!

1079862326_W5tWL-L.jpg

Mom’s appetizer - Prosciutto & Melone - Aged prosciutto with Seasonal Melon $11

1079860970_2bbBY-L.jpg

Mom’s dinner - Rigatoni with Wild Mushrooms, Garlic and truffle Oil $24.

1079861721_SZrMT-L.jpg

My dinner - Bucatini Amatriciana - Thick Linguine Pasta, Rendered Pancetta and Onions, Finished with Marinara $24

After dinner, we booked it (on full stomachs – always fun!) back to Epcot yet again so we could use our Soarin’ FPs, but we ended up using only one set so we could catch Illuminations. It was an awesome ride, as usual. We didn’t stop in one place to watch Illuminations—which we knew we’d see again the following night—but rather watched it as we ambled back around the World Showcase. Even on the go, it still made me tear up, like it does every time.

We returned to our totally sweet new suite, enjoyed yet another glass of wine (noticing a theme here?) from the lounge on our balcony, and watched the nighttime activity on the Boardwalk beneath us for a while before finally calling it a night.

What a great day! Starting out with a morning at the MK and the GF and ending up with an evening around Epcot and the Boardwalk! That suite looks huge! I love all of the Boardwalk area pictures. We're staying there in January and it gets me excited!

Oh. My. Gosh. That suite looks awesome! The first time you posted a picture of the Bakery, I saw the picture and thought "don't tell me that's where your room is", and then lo and behold, it was.

Those garden suites look cool too. Hmmm.

I'm going to have to think of a caption for that Alice picture. Let me get back to you on that.

1079913347_vdgdX-L.jpg

This so calls for a clever caption. But I got nothin’. Suggestions?

"Hey, if you kids see a white rabbit....just let him go on his merry way."

"Mr. Hatter, do you really think it's a good idea to change it from a tea party to a Beverly party?"

to borrow a theme from SurfinTX..."I'll probably get out of Wonderland when Disney provides free WiFi."

or, how about..."Next you'll be telling me that you're living above the Boardwalk Bakery!"

What a great day! Starting out with a morning at the MK and the GF and ending up with an evening around Epcot and the Boardwalk! That suite looks huge! I love all of the Boardwalk area pictures. We're staying there in January and it gets me excited!
It really was wonderful. Despite my newfound passion for the GF, I do love me some Epcot resorts!

Oh. My. Gosh. That suite looks awesome! The first time you posted a picture of the Bakery, I saw the picture and thought "don't tell me that's where your room is", and then lo and behold, it was.

Those garden suites look cool too. Hmmm.

I'm going to have to think of a caption for that Alice picture. Let me get back to you on that.
The suite was crazy awesome! There's just no other way to put it. And I just figured out, this morning, how I'll be able to justify the garden suite...when I finish the book! DH has now decided that that's when he'll go to WDW. So, in like ten years or something! :rotfl:

"Hey, if you kids see a white rabbit....just let him go on his merry way."

"Mr. Hatter, do you really think it's a good idea to change it from a tea party to a Beverly party?"

to borrow a theme from SurfinTX..."I'll probably get out of Wonderland when Disney provides free WiFi."

or, how about..."Next you'll be telling me that you're living above the Boardwalk Bakery!"
:lmao:

I got a good one:
1079913347_vdgdX-L.jpg

"Is that a reflection of the back of Judy's head over there? Or just a smudge on the window?"

I. Want. That. Room. I'm totally jealous.
Yeah. I'm actually jealous of myself just thinking about it, because I want it again. RIGHT NOW!

Hi norybell! I've been away from the boards for (more than) a few days and I'm catching up with updates.

Let me tell you than I'm absolutely impressed with your pictures... they are awesome. I could totally say they were taken by a professional who took hours and hours in every single shot. You are doing a fantastic job with your TR!

And talking about a quote for this picture:
1079913347_vdgdX-L.jpg

What about:
"Do you think this dress is weird? I was "this close" to be the Tim Burton's version of Alice!"
or
"What do you mean you don't accept Tables in Wonderland card in this "restaurant"????"

Tribilín;38900169 said:
Let me tell you than I'm absolutely impressed with your pictures... they are awesome. I could totally say they were taken by a professional who took hours and hours in every single shot. You are doing a fantastic job with your TR!
Thanks so much, Tribilin! I've really enjoyed learning at least a little bit about photography on these trips...WDW's such a good place for it.

Tribilín;38900169 said:
And talking about a quote for this picture:
1079913347_vdgdX-L.jpg

What about:
"Do you think this dress is weird? I was "this close" to be the Tim Burton's version of Alice!"
or
"What do you mean you don't accept Tables in Wonderland card in this "restaurant"????"
:rotfl:

:rotfl2: Even Alice is playing, huh?
That's right. Pretty soon all the characters will be playing, and they'll be lining up to meet Judy when you guys are on vacation.

I had to pop in to say...

I just booked another trip! Because apparently I need to be constantly planning a Disney vacation. :rolleyes1

Who knows if it'll actually happen, but I figure I can always cancel if I have to! As of now, it's another solo, book-research trip (it's awesome -- that whole research thing is both an excuse, and true!). But one of my sisters might be moving to FL in January, so maybe she'll join me. Or maybe I'll talk DH into it this time.

Since I won't do a PTR, I just wanted to share my excitement over the details here, really quick!

Late January, 3 nights, one at Caribbean Beach, 2 at Wilderness Lodge -- two resorts I've never even visited!

Meals: La Hacienda, Cinderella's Royal Table (breakfast; I'm not too excited to eat there alone, but part of the book is set in the castle, so I really need to get in there to spark my imagination), California Grill, Crystal Palace (breakfast), Tony's Town Square (just for kicks), and Whispering Canyon (breakfast)

I booked with the GP discount, but I'm hoping maybe a better AP discount will come out between now and then.

Hooray! :cool1:

Oh my goodness! That BWI suite is AMAZING! Not such a bad resort room to follow the GF. :goodvibes That IS a shame about the wear on the room though. When you pay that much, the room should be perfect, in my opinion. :snooty:

I loved your GF view pictures....sigh. Sooooooo pretty.

Joe, Henry and I also got lost at some point at the BWI and found that quiet pool and garden suite area as well! It's truly adorable, and some of those rooms are 2 stories!

Congratulations on booking the January trip! I hope it all comes through for you!

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Apparently, when I get really busy I have a tendency to take month-long breaks from the DIS. It's because I have too addictive of a personality, and I know if I'm on at all, I'll be on too much and won't get my stuff done! But now that holiday madness is over at the bookstore, I'll be back with a new segment next week.

I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday!

Merry Christmas Nory!:goodvibes I hope you had a relaxing time with family and friends. I'm still in denial that it has come and gone already! Months of planning, wrapping, preparing, wrapping, shopping, wrapping and of course more wrapping! And it's all over in about 1/2 hour on Christmas morning!:laughing:

Looking forward to future updates even if they're a month apart...:rolleyes1:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter