flea prevention...where do you get yours?

Girldreamer02

DIS Veteran
I went to the vet today and paid $16 dollars for frontline plus for my puppy and $15.50 for my cat...this is for one stinkin' month. Is there better prices on this out there and if so where do you get yours? Thanks.

We have used 1800PetMeds, Drs. Foster and Smith and PetcareRX all with total success (and all with various coupon codes for great savings). Once you place the order, the company will contact your veternarian to verify your prescription. Then they mail it out to you. This has taken a varying amount of time with each company, but I received my order withing 2 weeks from each. We use Revolution for our cat, and it requires once a month dosing, so it has always arrived in plenty of time. Hope that helps!

P.S. My girlfriend said that when she did this, her vet's office contacted her and offered to pricematch the prescription. Win-Win! :thumbsup2

I get them from KVvet.com they have the cheapest prices and are US medicine. Just be careful don't buy anything on ebay or from international sellers. I get my heart worm prevention from them too just get a prescription from your vet.

That is weird that they have to contact the vet for frontline etc. since you can buy it from most store shelves. Wal-mart sells it online without vet check too.

Heartworm is another story since the pet should not take heartworm meds if they are not tested to see if they have heartworms already so they call the vet for that.

petco for advantix it works best for us... 60.00 4 mths supply

I've been getting mine at Costco. At first I didn't really want Frontline, because I had it before and didn't think it worked as well as advantage but I really do love the applicator and there's so much in every tube...BTW it's ok to use dog frontline and Advantage on cats--dosage is .05. Never any other flea product though. It's much cheaper if you have multiple cats to use the biggest dog dose and portion it out.
Just wanted to say thanks to people who have posted about their vet bills on this board. Have a sick kitten-came on very suddenly and last night I took him to the emergency vet. Well I told them our funds were limited and they itemized me an estimate beforehand. I questioned the parvo test which was $54 as both the mother cat and sister (both rescues) were completely fine and all of my cats have had their vaccines but let them test anyway, of course it was negative but they didn't charge me for for a few other things. I would have never even thought to question a vet but my total bill was only $222. For the E-vet that's pretty good. He's fine, they said he seems to have an infection of some sort and is on clamavox and they gave him fluids. I made him eat when I got home by putting bits of baby food on his nose, then finally after noticing he started cleaning himself where food had fallen just kept getting him 'dirty' lol. BTW the pic in my sig is the 'kid'.

Revolution requires a precription, because it prevents not only fleas but also ear mites, heartworm, hookworm and roundworm...all in one dose!

I just purchased the Frontline spray. I haven't used it yet, but have read some wonderful reviews about it. I purchased the spray as opposed to the drops because I have 4 pets and it's cheaper to purchase 1 spray bottle and it supposedly lasts up to 3 months...

Ok... My super budget solution is this!
I go to tractor supply where I can get frontline Plus for aprox 60 dollars for the big dog size doses (4 ml each dose) a feline size dose is 0.5 ml. One dose becomes 8:yay::yay::yay: With 4 cats, it is by far the best way for me to do it. I just use a small syringe with no needle on it to draw up 0.5 ml and squirt it on

59sjayne your kitten is beautiful.....
Thanks for the tip on tractor supply, going there tom. where do i get the syringe?

I only use frontline if there is a sever flea tick infestation going on otherwise this is what I use and swear by http://www.naturalanimal.com/dogflea.php
I started using this product at the recommendation of a vet for my cocker spanial she would always get fleas during flea season sadly she is no longer with us. But I swear by this product as a teen I was always giving her flea baths until I started using this stuff. Now I have a little bugger and I use the same stuff on him I only use the frontline when we go camping or if like I said there is a ridiculous infestation so far this year he hasn't gotten a flea or tick. I also check him for ticks daily when I brush him.

I also use Revolution for my dog. This is a once a month treatment for flea, tick, mites, and also heartworm prevention and I think it's great. I purchase a one year supply from my vet for about $160.00. It's a bit pricey, but Revolution has strong guarantees if your animal is ever infected with heartworm while using their product. Supposedly, they'll take care of all your pet's medical expenses for heartworm treatment which I hear is extremely expensive. The catch is...you need to have documented evidence that their product was purchased through your vet. I guess the guarantee is void if purchasing through various websites or the 1-800 thing because supposedly some of those places have a history of selling expired or tainted products. I don't know how true all of this is, but I do know that you need to purchase from your vet for them to back you up. All in all it's really pricey preventative treatment, but I guess keeping our furry loved ones healthy is worth it.

I buy Frontline Plus on ebay.
For my cat, I get 8 months for around $15 shipped. My vet was going to charge more than that for just one month!

The seller will send you one tube for the largest dog size, a glass vial with lid, a syringe and instructions.
Just empty the tube into the glass vial, and then follow instructions far to fill up the syringe according to your pet size.
I've done this for several years.
It works great. I also put it on the neighbor's cat. We feed her and such since the neighbors won't. She had 3 ticks. Since using Frontline Plus on her, she hasn't had ticks or fleas or anything.

Here's a link to the seller I buy from on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300430123969&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have 7 dogs so treating everyone every month would cost major $$$$$.

I treat my yard with Over and Out fire ant killer. Then if we go somewhere I normally give them a capstar.

I just purchased the Frontline spray. I haven't used it yet, but have read some wonderful reviews about it. I purchased the spray as opposed to the drops because I have 4 pets and it's cheaper to purchase 1 spray bottle and it supposedly lasts up to 3 months...

Where did you get the spray? With my zoo crew, the spray would be so much better! Do you remember how much it was and the amount in the bottle?

Ok... I get the syringes at work (the bonus of being an RN) but many stores have children's suspension dosing droppers that would work just as well, but if anyone needs pm me and I will mail you a syringe:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter