• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flea meds

Could you please share what company you ordered it from? I need to do this asap. I have 3 dogs and having the same problem as everyone else this summer. Frontline is just not working. Thanks!

I'm not the original poster, but I use Equine Mega Store in Australia. I also get my heart worm meds from them without prescription. Never had a problem with any of their products and their exchange policy is great. I accidentally ordered the wrong size one time and they exchanged it without a problem

Our indoor cat 12 yrs old just got fleas for the first time. In searching for help, I found somewhere that if you sprinkle borax in the carpet it will get rid of the fleas. I haven't done this yet, bought borax this afternoon. Has anyone else tried borax?

I'm not the original poster, but I use Equine Mega Store in Australia. I also get my heart worm meds from them without prescription. Never had a problem with any of their products and their exchange policy is great. I accidentally ordered the wrong size one time and they exchanged it without a problem

Thanks! I'll have to check them out. I use comfortis off label for my cat because it's the only thing that works on him. The vets keep hesitating to give it to me and one of these days they will tell me no more. :guilty:

Our indoor cat 12 yrs old just got fleas for the first time. In searching for help, I found somewhere that if you sprinkle borax in the carpet it will get rid of the fleas. I haven't done this yet, bought borax this afternoon. Has anyone else tried borax?

I was actually going to post about this. You have to sprinkle it on the carpet and work it in with a broom. Then, let it sit for a day or two. Then, vacuum it up. What it does is kill the flea eggs. It dries them up and that's the trick to getting rid of fleas. Killing the eggs. It worked on our indoor cats.

It's harmless to pets and it does work.

shinysparklybubbles said:
Borax is amazing for killing ants. Just mix it with a little sugar and put it where the ants are and within 36 hits gone!

I wish I had the same luck. I did this last year and it didn't do a thing to kill the ants.

If you are still having the problem or if someone else is having a similar problem here's what I would recommend.

Bring dog to the vet for the day and ask them to give the dog a Capstar followed by a flea bath. The Capstar immediately kills off the fleas and the bath is more for cleanliness (the dead fleas will fall off gradually otherwise, ewww). While dog is at the vet treat and clean the house and yard.

Put the dog on Comfortis or Trifexis. Both are monthly oral tabs. They use the same medicine to kill (not repel) the fleas, but Trifexis also has heartworm medicine in it so you wouldn't need to give Heartguard/Wormshield/Proheart/etc also. Dogs are slightly more likely to react to the combo in Trifexis than just the plain Comfortis.

Also use a topical at the same time (Advantage, etc). These help with ticks also.

Normally just Comfortis works fine (or a topical) but in bad years or bad infestations, you need to use both an oral and a topical to keep the buggers at bay!

Have tried revolution and advantage but both have failed. I would like to give my cat off label comfortis for dogs, my cat is 5 kg can anyone suggest what packet I buy, the smallest size? and do I cut the tablets in half or quarters

Have tried revolution and advantage but both have failed. I would like to give my cat off label comfortis for dogs, my cat is 5 kg can anyone suggest what packet I buy, the smallest size? and do I cut the tablets in half or quarters

Comfortis is labeled for cats in the US. I'm assuming you're outside since you used kg. Actually cats need larger amounts than dogs. 50mg/kg. You need the orange box (labeled dogs 10-20lbs) for a cat 5kg. You'll need the green box (20-40lb dogs) for a cat over 12lbs.

regards

I am looking into all of this stuff now because we're bringing a new puppy home soon and I want to use something that is both effective and safe. I will consult with my vet.
I read a horrible post about Capstar on the Community board. It made the posters cats very sick and at least one of them had to go to the vet, and another poster reported that her cat died after using it.:sad2:
I'd never really thought much about it. The vet gave my one cat a shot of some sort and he did just fine. The other cat however received a topical and she pulled out big patches of fur anywhere she could reach for the next few weeks and ended up on a steroid. I am hesitant to give it to her again but I don't know what else to do. My cats are mostly indoor but do go on the back deck and have managed fleas from just going out there (other cats come up and play with them). I want to have them treated before puppy comes home. I haven't seen any fleas but I'd rather be safe than sorry and not pass them on to a new pup if there's any I am not seeing.
I'm just so nervous to give them anything after reading some of the stories.

well, I see this is from last year.... so this season, I started out with some apps of Frontline I had left....BIG MISTAKE...might as well be water! I had to start from scratch :rotfl: and rewash EVERYTHING,then apply advantage.....I hope it's working...... the cats stay out in summer, but the dogs both had fleas..YUCK!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I have no carpeting in my house right now!

We have had the worst time with fleas this year - only one of our dogs can tolerate pesticide-type flea meds (they aggravate existing conditions in the other two). We kept putting Advantage 2 on her and bathing the other two in Dawn trying to stave off an infestation, but the other two ended up with them anyway. In desperation we tried the Sentry Natural Defense spray on them - it worked wonders, but we do have to reapply every third day or so. Worth it, imo. I used diatomaceous earth on the carpets, and I think we're getting ahead of the problem now - finally (knock on wood).

The natural stuff may smell strongly and not work for as long as the other stuff, but it's our only option, and I'm pleased with how well it has worked.

Agree! I read about food-grade DE online and tried to research as much as I could. It is amazing at killing fleas on our pet.

Must be food-grade though. And should not be inhaled by you or your pet.
:)

...We weren't able to completly get rid of the fleas, so I went to our local Tractor Supply and bought a container of diatomaceous earth - food grade. It is a powder and we rubbed a very small bit on each kitten, plus we rubbed it into the rug that they played on. We washed their bedding and washable toys in hot water every day, and within 3 days all the fleas were totally gone. The diatomaceous earth also says it can be sprinkled around the house, or even the outside of the house to cut down on fleas and other pests. Plus it is safe for children and animals. It cost me about $8 for a 5# container, and I think it might have been around $15 for a 20 pound bag.

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

After losing a dog to a reaction to chemicals in a store bought flea/tick shampoo, I turned to making my own. Blue Original Dawn dish soap will kill fleas on contact. ONLY original Blue. It is the only thing a vet will suggest for a newborn kitten or puppy and it is what biologists use to clean animals after oil spills. If there are any problems, it's human error due to getting it in the animals' eyes or not rinsing thoroughly. If you need to cut out a smelly dog while treating for fleas, also add on white vinegar. Yes, it will stink while washing, but when the dog is dry, the smell will go away within a couple of hours.

This website has A LOT to offer in the ways of essential oils:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/05/homemade-remedies-for-pets-using-essential-oils.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter