Flair to Sanford?

hdrolfe

DIS Veteran
Since I am thinking I will have to cancel my March break cruises, I am looking at alternatives and see that Flair is going to be flying direct from Ottawa to Sanford (looks like Saturday and Wednesday's). Even adding their premium package (includes checked bag, carryon and seats I think?) it's less than $700 RT for two in May. I'd probably give up the cruises and just book Disney, Universal or offsite somewhere.

I know they are a bare bones flight, but direct is rather nice and AC is only doing that to mid-April this year. Kiddo did not do well flying in October with the non-direct flights, so I'm trying to avoid that if I can. But I also really want to get away again. Since we have to arrange our own transportation any way, I don't think flying to/from Sanford will be too big of an issue.

Has anyone flown Flair to/from the US? They seem to be new to Ottawa.

I've flown with them once, from Hamilton to Halifax, a few years back. I had no issues. Price was great, even with baggage added, however the selection of departure/return dates & times was limited. Hamilton now has Swoop instead of Flair, another big discount airline, with flights to Sanford. I considered them for this March, however I went with Southwest to use up my credits. I would definitely consider them next trip, although there is a higher chance of flight changes/delays or cancellations with them, so keep that in mind. Also, Sanford is a great alternative to MCO, and only an extra 20 minute drive to the Disney area. Good luck!

just opening this up again,,,,if Flair cancels a flight,,they dont have multiple flights, just the one that day,,,so are you SOL,,,looking at March break as well,,,yyz to sanford,,,but its March break,,,what is the chance of that being cancelled?

just opening this up again,,,,if Flair cancels a flight,,they dont have multiple flights, just the one that day,,,so are you SOL,,,looking at March break as well,,,yyz to sanford,,,but its March break,,,what is the chance of that being cancelled?
I'm still not 100% sold on Flair but you can't beat the price. I have some flights coming up on Flair and I made sure they were the first leg of the plane's journey for the day so they won't be susceptible to delays during the day.

As for Sanford, I actually much prefer it over MCO. Yes, it's a bit further out and more expensive to travel to/from, but it's way more laid back without the crush of people.

I'm still not 100% sold on Flair but you can't beat the price. I have some flights coming up on Flair and I made sure they were the first leg of the plane's journey for the day so they won't be susceptible to delays during the day.

As for Sanford, I actually much prefer it over MCO. Yes, it's a bit further out and more expensive to travel to/from, but it's way more laid back without the crush of people.
MCO has been awful recently. One trick was to park and go in an out t terminal C. But that has just opened up for flights and will be just as bad. We do all we can to avoid MCO. Including flying in and out of Niagara Falls and leaving our car there long term.

Flair also has 4 flights per week to Sanford out of Waterloo. They might be able to move you to one of those flights on the same day if your Pearson flight was cancelled.

For those in Ottawa, today Flair totally rejigged their flight schedule to Sanford. They’re now flying 3 times per week starting late November for as low as $160CDN return.

That's a good deal.

Can't wait until we can just take a train to YOW like with can with YUL (but glad that day's not far off),

This morning was Flair's first day of service between Ottawa and Orlando. The flight used the US pre-clearance gates and left on time at 6 am.

Last edited:
Since I am thinking I will have to cancel my March break cruises, I am looking at alternatives and see that Flair is going to be flying direct from Ottawa to Sanford (looks like Saturday and Wednesday's). Even adding their premium package (includes checked bag, carryon and seats I think?) it's less than $700 RT for two in May. I'd probably give up the cruises and just book Disney, Universal or offsite somewhere.

I know they are a bare bones flight, but direct is rather nice and AC is only doing that to mid-April this year. Kiddo did not do well flying in October with the non-direct flights, so I'm trying to avoid that if I can. But I also really want to get away again. Since we have to arrange our own transportation any way, I don't think flying to/from Sanford will be too big of an issue.

Has anyone flown Flair to/from the US? They seem to be new to Ottawa.
We were going to fly Flair to Palm Springs this December for our New year’s cruise. We booked in June. Flair cancelled our flights end of October, roughly 2 months before. No reason given.
Turns out they went from flights twice a week to once a week to this destination.
I called Flair and after holding twice for 5 hrs (approx) I got disconnected. Same thing for chat. Finally 3rd time after waiting for 2 hrs got them on the web chat and they confirmed there are no flights we can change to … so it was frustrating to say the least because I had to call for them to start the refund. Otherwise they sit on the $.
I was later chatting with a friend who is a flight attendant for another airline and she said that while Flair is good, not to book with them far in advance (like more than 2-3 months) unless it’s a regular year round route. They adjust the seasonal ones closer to the date and have been cancelling a lot of flights.
Anyway, just sharing. I wouldn’t necessarily shy away from them, but sharing my experience. It took me over 2 weeks to find new flights as ours were during a busy holiday period. New flights more $ too but our cruise was fully paid for by the time Flair cancelled.

Last edited:
Quick review of Flair from Ottawa to Orlando this morning…. Flight left right on time at 6am and arrived in Sanford about 20 minutes early. It was great to have pretty much a full day ahead of us after arriving. The flight was half to two thirds full. It’s been a long time since I was on a flight that wasn’t 100% full. Hopefully this is still a strong enough load factor to keep the route running especially since they’re moving to 3 times per week starting next week.

Sanford as a breeze as usual. So much easier to navigate than MCO.

Shout out to our geology themed flight crew - captain Roch and first officer Crystal - on a smooth safe flight

Quick review of Flair from Ottawa to Orlando this morning…. Flight left right on time at 6am and arrived in Sanford about 20 minutes early. It was great to have pretty much a full day ahead of us after arriving. The flight was half to two thirds full. It’s been a long time since I was on a flight that wasn’t 100% full. Hopefully this is still a strong enough load factor to keep the route running especially since they’re moving to 3 times per week starting next week.

Do you rent a car? I know that there is a shuttle to Universal but I wasn't able to find anything to Disney. I'm not keen to drive if I can avoid, or pay $$$ for a taxi.

Do you rent a car? I know that there is a shuttle to Universal but I wasn't able to find anything to Disney. I'm not keen to drive if I can avoid, or pay $$$ for a taxi
Uber is about $55 which was quite reasonable to me and very convenient. I saw ads around the terminal for a shuttle or limo service to Orlando attractions but didn’t note the name of the company.

Uber is about $55 which was quite reasonable to me and very convenient. I saw ads around the terminal for a shuttle or limo service to Orlando attractions but didn’t note the name of the company.
Good to know about the Uber. We are trying Flair for the first time at March Break (out of Kitchener). I have a friend who also used them last month and they were very pleased with the experience.

Shout out to our geology themed flight crew - captain Roch and first officer Crystal - on a smooth safe flight
Love the bit about the geology themed crew. LOL!

Good to know about the Uber. We are trying Flair for the first time at March Break (out of Kitchener). I have a friend who also used them last month and they were very pleased with the experience.
Did last week. No problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter