• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FL humidity- how do you fight "Chia head"?

mousekatool

Mouseketeer
I have relatively straight hair (i.e. A giant ugly wave through it, but not curly), but when I hit the humidity, it poufs up into a massive mess.:scared: I look like Carrot Top (the comedian), or Monica from the "Friends" episode in the Bahamas. I have tried every product known to man, and although some of them help, I can never get my hair unpouffed once I am in a tropical clime. Even flat ironing only straightens it, but doesn't debulk it or defrizz it. Does anyone have any tips (short of my usual defaults, the ponytail and the ball cap) or product recs to keep my hair from covering Cinderella's Castle in my trip pics? :rotfl:

I have relatively straight hair (i.e. A giant ugly wave through it, but not curly), but when I hit the humidity, it poufs up into a massive mess.:scared: I look like Carrot Top (the comedian), or Monica from the "Friends" episode in the Bahamas. I have tried every product known to man, and although some of them help, I can never get my hair unpouffed once I am in a tropical clime. Even flat ironing only straightens it, but doesn't debulk it or defrizz it. Does anyone have any tips (short of my usual defaults, the ponytail and the ball cap) or product recs to keep my hair from covering Cinderella's Castle in my trip pics? :rotfl:

I honestly have not found anything that works and I have lived in Florida for 39 years. I just put on a headband to keep it out of my face and let go and let God. My hair is curly and the humidity makes it even curlier.

I have the same issue- I'll straighten my hair and it looks okay, but as soon as I step outside... *poof*. Usually for the day I'll take a shower first thing, use John Frieda's defrizzing serum and then braid and hat (however, I tend to go for a straw cloche or fedora instead of a baseball cap). If I'm lucky when it dries it's somewhat tame, if I'm not lucky then I just re-braid and re-hat.

I have the same issue with my hair. It's thick, but not curly, just a slight wave.

I get a Rusk Thermal Straightening once a year at my salon. it's pricey but 100% worth it to me. It smooths and takes the frizz out. I can literally get out of the shower and not even have to blow dry it. Humidity does not affect it at all! It lasts me about 8 months.

reposting from another thread:
we (DD, who has incredibly thick, healthy, & wavy hair, and me, with fine, dry hair) use proclaim spray-on glosser - amazing, available at sally's beauty - and a chi flat iron. (we've tried other brands of treatment & flat irons - none worked nearly as well). both of us retain smooth hair, even in Floridian humidity ( no frizz ). fyi, rain will still make my hair a bit frizzy & make hers wavier, but only a tiny fraction of what it would be without.

once temps soar, i use pretty ponytail holders, DD uses heavy duty holders (her hair breaks any non-industrial strength ones)

i highly recommend using a chi (or other good brand) and the proclaim - no other products keeps my hair as smooth, all day long :thumbsup2

Try an oil! Josie Maran's Argan oil and Bumble and Bumble's hairdresser's oil are two I have had success with. I have SUPER thick, big, wavyish hair and have the same problem in FL... or any humidity really!

I use good old John Frieda Frizz-Ease, then braid the bangs in across the front and pull it all into a messy bun in the back. I can't stand it when hair gets stuck to my shiny face or the back of my neck, gross.

Thanks for the tips..now, anyone with SHORT thick hair, with a wave that does not quit and friz that is OUT OF CONTROL??? :rotfl2::rotfl:

Because THAT is ME!!! I am too short to pony it, and the back is not my problem, it is the top!! It goes from straight to Friz in about -0 seconds!!!!

So not only am I pooh sized but when I walk out in the humidity SO IS MY HAIR!!! :rotfl2:

Hair gel. Any kind. Don't blow it all the way dry after you put it in...then spritz with hair spray while still damp. This works for straight or curly! Guaranteed!

I live on the coast in South Texas and deal with this problem on a daily basis. :sad: I have found if I use Paul Mitchell's smoothing serum my hair tends to stay straight and smooth, for the most part. It's a clear bottle with a lime green pump. I put a pumps worth through my hair while it's wet, and then another pumps worth through the ends after I have flat ironed it.

Try Sabino Moisture Block serum. I have super think short (chin length) hair with a wild wave on one side! I towel dry my hair use a VERY small amount of the moisture block, completely dry my hair and then use the InStyler. Seems to tame the frizz. It must be dried completely.

The InStyler is my favorite hair tool. No flat iron (that I have used) compares to the InStyler.

We just got back from a panama canal cruise and it was really humid until we hit the Pacific. I used "It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product". Seemed to do the trick even with windy boat trips and hot, muggy bus rides.

We just got back from a panama canal cruise and it was really humid until we hit the Pacific. I used "It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product". Seemed to do the trick even with windy boat trips and hot, muggy bus rides.

I have been using this at home, but on rainy, humid days, my hair still gets "big". Going to the beach next week should give me a true test of what it will do .;)

On my last trip, I asked multiple Cast Members the million-dollar question "How do you get your hair to stay straight in this weather" and they ALL said "Brazilian Blowout".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter