FJ comparable to orange mission space or sum of all thrills???

tinker-belle

Mouseketeer
Hiya. We're Universal newbies (going in January), but are Disney veterans.
Is FJ comparable to the orange side of mission space? I went on that years ago (before the green side opened up) and got so sick. Close to vomiting, but not quite- but I had to sit completely still after exiting the ride for close to an hour before my head stopped spinning.
What about sum of all thrills? I know both of those are a 'box' on a robotic arm. Sum of all thrills also made me so nauseaus (but I was okay once I was off the ride.)

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!:thumbsup2

I've never done Sum of All Thrills. However, in my own experience, Mission Space: Orange doesn't make me sick. Dizzy, yes, especially in the early years (I was there for the soft open, when people were staggering off the ride and walking into each other, bumping into the walls, etc.). I wouldn't do Mission Space: Orange just after eating, just to be safe, but it doesn't make me nauseous.

FJ will do it for me a little, though.

The causes of FJ and Mission: Space nausea may be different, however -- one spins, the other doesn't... so if you're apt to get sick spinning and do so on MS, you might not feel the same way on FJ. I think on FJ it's more the result of the video effects rather than the motion of the ride itself (except for people who get sick on any ride with thrill-level motion).

Mission Space orange makes me feel pretty bad and once they opened the green side I never rode it again. FJ does not make me feel bad.

When it comes to Mission Space and FJ, the feelings are completely different. I feel odd when I ride Mission Space and I don't get that feeling on FJ. Like a PP said, the movements differ. One spins and the other just swoops all around.

I've never tried the Sum of All Thrills so I don't know about that one.

FJ movement is far less aggressive than those two WDW rides -- but the visuals (film inserts) are like Soarin but you're closer and just been moving, so that can make one queasy.

I found if ill feeling started, shutting my eyes stops it. And the movement itself was not bad, as long as you don't let your head whip about (which is easy enough by hanging on tight. ;))

My mom went on Mission Space (orange side) once and felt miserable the rest of the night. I've never seen her so affected by a ride. But she loves Forbidden Journey!

I agree - you're comparing apples and, well, oranges HA! Meaning, the HP ride is constantly moving, and seemingly forward or along a track of some kind. I know it's not the best comparison, but since Disney doesn't have anything like the Spiderman ride, I'd say think about Haunted Mansion. It's not a fast ride, it just moves you alone a "track" via an arm and at every turn you check out what there is to see. Either 3D screens or an actual animatronic. Or, if you've been to Disney recently, maybe think about the new Toy Story ride, it flings you around a lot, but always on a track. The only difference is you might get a "swing" effect if the arm is taking you up or down for the next scene.

I think the Mission ride is more like the rides at a carnival that spin you in a circle...

Mission Space is a centrifuge with movement as well as discomfort from claustrophobia.

FJ is more like Star tours or Sum of all fears(which can also have the closed in feeling) combined with Haunted Mansion...though a tad faster than HM....
FJ is wide open so never any feeling of being closed in...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter