• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Five People - best on site options

qman

DIS Veteran
We have always stayed at moderates with four people (DR, DM, DS & DD) two to each bed. If we were going to bring along our now college aged son's girlfriend to bring our group to five, what are our affordable options?

We have always stayed at moderates with four people (DR, DM, DS & DD) two to each bed. If we were going to bring along our now college aged son's girlfriend to bring our group to five, what are our affordable options?

GF, YC, BC, Polynesian, CR hotel rooms will have two queen beds and a day bed. BLT, AKV (not value villas), OKW one bedroom villas will have one king bed in the master bedroom, a queen sleeper sofa and twin sized sleeper chair in the living room. BLT and AKV-Kidani Village also have a second bathroom just off the entrance to the villa. The new GFVillas one bedroom don't have the extra bathroom, but have a king bed, queen sleeper sofa and pull out bed (not sure of the size yet -these won't open until late October, but they are taking booking now).

Or you could get any DVC two bedroom villa. FW Cabin sleeps six. Family suites sleep six, but they might be too small for five adults.

You could stay in two ajoining rooms in any resort. If budget is a concern two ajoining rooms at a value resort would probably be your cheapest option and it would give you an extra bathroom. AoA suites would be another option along with the FW cabins. AoA would have two bathrooms but FW cabins would not.

At the value level, you could book a family suite at AoA or ASMu. Each offers a separate bedroom with a queen sized bed and bathroom, a second bathroom in the living area and kitchenette. At AoA the living room offers a pull-out sofa and dining table that converts to a bed. At ASMu there is a pull-out sofa, a chair that converts to a twin sized bed and, believe it or not, an ottoman that turns into a "junior" bed. These suites may be your best bet as there are 2 bathrooms and a bit more room to "spread out" and relax.

In the mod category, the only one that fits your bill are the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. The deluxe level is where you truly get your pick. All of the rooms at deluxe resorts are larger and can accommodate 5 guests. The deluxe villas are another option as these will gain you a significant amount of more space but also at a higher price tag unless you look into purchasing DVC points.

Looking at the Disney website the cheapest option wold appear to be two rooms at either a value or a moderate.

Looking at the Disney website the cheapest option wold appear to be two rooms at either a value or a moderate.

Least expensive is a 5 person room at POR... Kinda crowded though.

Next would be 2 standards at value level.

Have you looked into renting points?

Least expensive is a 5 person room at POR... Kinda crowded though. ...

I guess your son would be the one sleeping alone. He'd need to be under 5'6" tall to fit on the murphy bed at POR. And then he would still be hanging off the mattress.

I think 2 rooms at a value would be your best option, for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, you'll get a 2nd bathroom. If you've got 5 people, none of which are little kids, that 2nd bathroom would be a huge asset to you.

This is probably your least expensive option that will keep everyone comfortable.

Lastly...I try not to pass judgment on others and don't know what your views are. But if you don't want your son and his gf sharing a bed, and your DD and son's GF aren't comfortable sharing a bed, having 2 value rooms would give all 3 "kids" their own sleeping surface.

I guess your son would be the one sleeping alone. He'd need to be under 5'6" tall to fit on the murphy bed at POR. And then he would still be hanging off the mattress.

Isn't there a daughter in there? I assumed the son and GF would take a queen and the daughter would Murphy bed it.

I don't think it's a comfortable option, but it is an option.

Isn't there a daughter in there? I assumed the son and GF would take a queen and the daughter would Murphy bed it.

I don't think it's a comfortable option, but it is an option.

Its only an option if the youngest is about 12 or 13 or younger. The murphy bed is loosely meant for ages 12 and under. Older than that, you can get away with it if they are small. If the youngest is older than that but of average height and weight (or larger), I'd say it's a no go.

OP - thoughts on son and GF sharing a bed in your presence? Since you're looking for one room, I'm assuming you're fine with that but it may throw a snag into some options if you're opposed. I'd probably go with two value rooms because the second bathroom will be crucial.

Its only an option if the youngest is about 12 or 13 or younger. The murphy bed is loosely meant for ages 12 and under. Older than that, you can get away with it if they are small. If the youngest is older than that but of average height and weight (or larger), I'd say it's a no go.

OP - thoughts on son and GF sharing a bed in your presence? Since you're looking for one room, I'm assuming you're fine with that but it may throw a snag into some options if you're opposed. I'd probably go with two value rooms because the second bathroom will be crucial.

Of course. No age was listed for the daughter so I wouldn't have any idea if she can fit or not.

Rooms at the Dolphin can also sleep 5. The Dolphin also frequently offers a connecting room special.

I just got back from a trip with 6 (3 adults and 3 young children) at an Art of Animation suite. If you're mostly going to be out-and-about and primarily sleeping in the room; I think you could do 5. It's surprisingly roomy even when all the pull-outs are down.

Is everyone over the age of 18? I think AoA suites charge $25 for more than 4 adults in the room.

Definitely 2 value rooms or a suite. I would think a room at a Deluxe that sleeps 5 would get a little too crowded with so many adults. You'll want more than one bathroom!

Of course. No age was listed for the daughter so I wouldn't have any idea if she can fit or not.

Right. Thats why I thought it was pertinent to add the age/size disclaimer. I wonder if POR wouldn't even allow 5 adults to book there or if it wouldn't come up as an option. I've never considered that.

The "kids" are 20 DS, 19 GF and 17 DD. It would appear that for our group two rooms would make the most sense. As to the sleeping arrangements, we"'ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Right. Thats why I thought it was pertinent to add the age/size disclaimer. I wonder if POR wouldn't even allow 5 adults to book there or if it wouldn't come up as an option. I've never considered that.

I've seen it. I don't think they can stop you, just simply make you aware that the Murphy isn't recommended past a certain Age/weight.

Also know that they won't guarantee that the 2 rooms will be connecting or adjacent - particularly as there are more than 2 adults.

We are a family of five and stayed at POP with connecting rooms. My 2 sons were in one room and my husband, daughter and I in the other room. Kept the connecting door open so it felt like we had one room. The 2 bathrooms were a bonus as well.

If sleeping arrangements are an issue, I would have your daughter and your sons gf share one room and your son share your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter