Five In The Family

martinoqt

Earning My Ears
ANY suggestions for renting when you have three children...
a two bedroom is too big(too many pts) and a one bdrm only sleeps four correct.
we have been to disney 7 times (prior to buying DVC) and tried many options from a one rm at contemp to two rms at all stars to a jr suite at swan w/cot
Disney is not condusive to a family of 5
any suggestions
martinoqt

What about a Cabin at Ft. Wilderness? We have 5 kids now, so we always get a 2 bedroom Villa (we also are DVC members) but before we added #4, and #5, we used to love to stay at Ft. Wilderness.

Of course, we are pretty laid back people (with 5 kids you have to be LOL), we think of transportation as part of the "adventure" and are not the type of people to complain if it takes more then 10 minutes to get to a park.

we would like something a bit differnt since we spend summers in a very rustic cabin in NH.
do you ever bring an aerobed or sleeping bag

What about POR. THey have trundle beds so they sleep five. Both the Mansions and AB sections can sleep five, although most people are given the impression that it is only the AB section. It's a very nice moderate resort.

martinoqt said:
ANY suggestions for renting when you have three children...
a two bedroom is too big(too many pts) and a one bdrm only sleeps four correct.
we have been to disney 7 times (prior to buying DVC) and tried many options from a one rm at contemp to two rms at all stars to a jr suite at swan w/cot
Disney is not condusive to a family of 5
any suggestions
martinoqt

First of all, Welcome to the DIS!

Did you just buy into DVC? It sounds like it. I'm wondering because it seems that you should have worked out the occupancy issues before plunking down the big bucks for a timeshare.

The "standard" occupancy for a Studio and a 1BR are 4 + 1 child under 3. The "unofficial" occupancy for a 1 BR changed recently to 5 + 1 child under 3. You will be able to put all 5 names on the reservation and get 5 keys. Unfortunately, Disney will not provide extra bedding. You may want to bring an aerobed and extra sheets for one of your kids.

We have 3 kids and I would not go smaller then a 2br. Reasons being, each gets their own bed, there are two rooms beside the living area to separate them during down/quiet time and there are two bathrooms to facilitate showers for everyone.

We are in the process of buying into dvc...bought 220 pts..but only 99 available for this year... we currently have a reservation at swan on a very good rate(gov't) for 7 days in july...thinking of using pts and splitting the trip...think it may be too last minute though
got a good deal on dvc...so we could not pass up the oppurtunity.
martinoqt

I'm not sure how this works with the DVC, but we are staying at AKL in May with 3 girls. The room has one queen bed for me and DH, bunk beds and a day bed. Each girl will get her own bed and you don't have the expense of a suite or two bedroom.

While I doubt this is what you are looking for, I have to suggest it anyway-rent a vacation house. There are some lovely houses that can potentially cost less then your cheapest onsite option. Even a small 3 or 4 bedroom house would provide far more room and a kitchen and laundry also, very handy with 3 kids. The private pool is wonderful, can swim whenever you want and just your family. We've stayed twice with my sisters family in rental house and her 3 kids loved the pool. I know you're buying into DVC and that will take care of your future needs, but for this trip a rental house might really suit the bill. Some houses are a 10 minute drive from the parks, I know, I've done the drive. Just an option to consider.

You said you've done one bedroom at Contemporary (394 sq. feet), but the following resorts also sleep 5 (+1 under 3): Poly (391 sq. feet), Gand Floridian (440 sq feet), Beach Club (381 sq. feet), Yatch Club (381 sq. feet), AKL (don't know sq feet for 5 person room to give you a comparison to what you "know" at the Contemporary), and, of course, Fort Wilderness Cabin (504 sq feet).

We are soon to be a family of 5 also, and feel that the Ft. Wilderness Cabins will be our best option besides buying into DVC (dh & I agree no more student loans before doing so).

You will LOVE your DVC points. You didn't say how old your kids are but we have 4 kids and do just fine in a 1 bedroom. One of our kids is only 2 but there is no way we could do a 2 bedroom because we have a kid with special needs and need to keep a close eye on him. With the bigger space with the 2 bedroom and the extra bath it would actually be a problem for us. And if it is not a "lock-off" meaning has the extra door to the hallway--sort of like adjoining rooms are---then he can escape! Our kids are 11, 9, 6 and 2 and we are actually very comfortable in the 1 bedroom. 2 of the kids have sleeping bags and/ or 2 sleep on the sofa bed. They are so tired by the end of the day they are out very quickly so it works great for us. Staying on property for us using our DVC points is the best!!! Enjoy!! :cool1:

martinoqt said:
we currently have a reservation at swan on a very good rate(gov't) for 7 days in july...thinking of using pts and splitting the trip...think it may be too last minute though

if you are in the system, call member services and ask! i got SSR one month out. inventory changes all the time, it doesn't hurt to call.

my kids are older,
18, 15, 13 ,11...been to disney 8 times.sleeping bags have always been fine..
do they give you a difficult time.

martinoqt said:
We are in the process of buying into dvc...bought 220 pts..but only 99 available for this year... we currently have a reservation at swan on a very good rate(gov't) for 7 days in july...thinking of using pts and splitting the trip...think it may be too last minute though
got a good deal on dvc...so we could not pass up the oppurtunity.

You should be able to book at Old Key West (OKW) in July, even at the last minute. One trick that some DVCers do is stay Sun-Fri at DVC and somewhere else on the weekends. I'm looking at the point charts, and I see that Sun-Fri at OKW is 110 points. You could borrow the 11 points to make up the difference. The goverment rate at the Swan is pretty awesome (usually about $149, right?), so I would keep it for the time being. Do they charge for the 5th person and the roll-away?

Since you are joining DVC, are you Annual Pass holders? DVC has a $75 discount on regular APs and a $100 discount on Premium APs. It's a great deal! AP holders are also eligible for discounts at Disney resorts. Mousesavers (http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyresorts.html#discountmenu) has the current discounts. Ones for later in July should come out early next month. In addition, as a Passholder you can order a Disney Dining Experience card (just search for those words here on the DIS for more info) for $50 and that will save you 20% on every meal. A real savings when you're feeding 3 teenagers :earseek:.

martinoqt said:
my kids are older,
18, 15, 13 ,11...been to disney 8 times.sleeping bags have always been fine..

Hmmm ... I assume that means that one of your kids is staying home since you asked about Disney with 3 kids.

Thanks that is great info
i am going to hold onto to my swan and dolphin, maybe keep it for the weekend...
my oldest son may not be coming since he is just starting a new job and unsure he can get the time off. he is a FR. in college and needs to work to help with tuition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter