Fishing Rod???

Claddagh

Smile! It might never happen!
Hi all,

DH has got it in to his head that he would like to buy a new fishing rod while we are in Florida :crazy: I am a bit concerned at how "easy" it would be get something like that back in to the UK. Has anyone ever bought anything like this back into the country? I am certain they wouldn't let him bring it on to the plane. But I am not sure if they would even put it in the hold. Any ideas?

:wave2:

DH takes fishing tackle with him every trip :rolleyes:, but he takes a rod which will pack in sections small enough to go in the suitcase.

However, I'm sure you'd have no problem bringing back a full size rod if it could be packed into a secure travelling tube and put in the hold. DH has never bought a rod in Florida, but always comes back with lots of spinners, hooks, etc. that he buys out there at about half the cost of the same thing here :)

My b-i-l brought back a large part of a car engine when he went last trip :eek: - it was all packed up securely and they searched / scanned it at the airport and then put it in the hold as part of his baggage allowance!!

DH takes fishing stuff backwards and forwards all the time and also buys stuff out there. Like Hilary's DH mine tries to stick to rods that will break down into a suitcase but we have brought others back from time to time and have had no problems. We always fly Virgin so can only speak for them, but if you pack the rods securely they will put them in the "security box" on the plane so that it gets brought out rather than appearing on the carousel at LGW and is therefore less likely to suffer any damage. It just means waiting a bit longer for it to appear.
Outdoor World at the top of International Drive is a sportsman's dream and there are also fishing sections in the major sport shops, Walmart and some department stores.
Happy shopping!
Carol

Hi,
My DH has brought back fishing rods several times. On one trip it went into the 'fragile' cupboard in the main cabin (You have to ask for this) and on another trip he bought a rod carrier and it went into the hold.
As others have already said, fishing gear is alot cheaper out there - we always come back with lots! DH loves Outdoor World at Festival Bay and Walmart on the 192, plus there is an Orvis shop at Celebration.

Have a good trip

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I really don't mind what size fishing rod he brings back, just as long as he leaves room for my "SHOPPING" ::yes::

Outdoor World is the place to go. If the one in Florida is like the one in Michigan, it's unbelievable. We go into it just for fun......
And if the state of Florida is as liberal about gun sales as michigan, check out the gun and ammo section.....enough to arm a small country....astounding really....and in michigan you can walk up and buy what you want....

as for fishing rods there....i have never ever seen the kind of selection Outdoor World has.....(the one we go to has a stream running through the store)....your husband may well be overwhelmed by the selection....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter