• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fishing in Fort Wilderness

Dustball

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We leave for Fort Wilderness on 1/4 and are staying in the cabins!:cool1:

Our DS5 is celebrating his 6th birthday on 1/5. We gave him fishing poles
(one for him, one for Dad) on Christmas. You should have seen his face!
Favorite present!

So now I need to get cracking....

Can you buy worms or fishbait (can youtell I don't fish:laughing: )
at Fort Wilderness? Are there places you can bring your own pole
and fish? (My DH is hoping for a dock of some sort?)

Thank you all so much for any advice you can offer and any
other tidbits you think we should know....

Happy Holidays

Stephanie (Dustball)

Yes you can buy worms at the Bike Barn, I recommend stopping at a Wal-Mart, you get twice as many for half the price.

You can fish in any water [canal, lake] but you can not fish off the docks because of the foot traffic.

Best places to fish are behind 300 loop by the bridge [bass and bream] and the canal by the 2000 loop [catfish].

Some plastic baits are also good for the bass.

:fish: :fish:

Hi "Dustball" Stephanie

We will be at the Fort in mid March and also hope to wet a line. There is a canal that runs along the back of several of the cabin loops and thats where I hope to get our cabin.

Look at the Fort wilderness map at http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/fortwilderness.htm

The loops 2100, 2300 and 2500 are the "canal" loops and you might want to request one of them with a cabin on the canal side.

That said, when you return from your stay would you mind posting a report about the cabins in those loops as to which ones would be the most useable for fishing if any?

Cheers
Dave

I believe there is fish in all the canals mostly bream(blue gills) and some other small fish if you are looking for catfish or bass i would try the pond by the bikebarn or the one by the dogpark or as mentioned earlier behind the 300 loop were the lake meets the canal i have caught a few small bass there mostly 12-14 inchers some smaller good luck and post how you did when you return

Do you know that you can also book fishing excursions by boat in WDW? Although there not cheap ( we paid $220 ) you meet right on the FW dock and get on a boat and fish all over Bay Lake. We took the early morning trip that left at 7am and caught over 12 bass ( all catch and release) but the best part was seeing the "world waking up". Seeing the castle through the morning mist and then being hit with the first rays of sun while you real in a fish is true heaven. Have a great trip........TAZ

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and good advice...I have already requested
a cabin on the 2100 with canal view...(crossed fingers!)

We will try out all your good suggestions...I had thought of a fishing excursion, but my little guy is a first time fisherman and it would be
lost on him;)

I will most definitely report back when we return!

Thanks again,
Stephanie

:wizard:
Only 3 more dayz ,,then it's off to
HAPPY FISHING ! :fish:

Ya'll are gonna have the bestest of time ! :thumbsup2

Thank you to everyone for all the great info! We are excited
to leave tomorrow and will report back on all info on fishing
that we can discover...

Thanks,
Stephanie

Reporting back that fishing was fun, fun fun....

We caught no fish, but those sneaky critters were
good at eating our worms and lures:rotfl2:

Saw people fishing everywhere!

We thought that fishing over behind the 600 loop off of the
beach where it meets the lake was great!

NOTE: absolutely no water in the canal running behind 2100
loop...

Thanks for the advice folks!

I will try to post pics later.
Stephanie

I am going to disnet in November. I'm not staying at fort Wilderness. I plan to fish there.
Any good spots to catch some bass.
Thanks
Mike

There are bass in all the Fort's water ways,,your best chances of catching the elusive lunker would be fishing the big lake. Keep in mind you will generally need some weedless plastics for most shore fish'n.
And remember, fishing Disney is strictly Catch & Release Only.
Also, you can't fish beaches, public areas or docks.

If ya got xtra $bucks$ burn'n your pockets , the Disney Guided Fishing Excursion is a lotta fun and you have a better chance of catch'n some really nice bass.

Good fishing to you, :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter