Fisheye Lenses

Yep- and got the Sigma 8-16

If you have the chance to give a review of this, I'd love to hear it. Where did you get it, out of curiosity?

EDIT: I just clicked on your Flickr page because I thought that might have some images. First image answers my questions...

Well if you're not going to trade your D700 for the fisheye, I suppose I could be convinced to trade you my 10.5mm for your 28 f/1.4...but you're really driving a hard bargain here.

If you have the chance to give a review of this, I'd love to hear it. Where did you get it, out of curiosity?

EDIT: I just clicked on your Flickr page because I thought that might have some images. First image answers my questions...

Personally I have always had very good luck with Sigma lenses- but based on some of the 'bad copy' issues I have read about with some of their products it's probably not the lens I would grab off Ebay or anyplace questionable just to save a couple bucks.

Thanks again everyone! I went with the Tokina 10-17mm and I rented from lensrentals :) Looking forward to playing with it at wdw.

My Nikon 10.5mm just arrived...we leave next week, so I need to get used to this lens quickly! Anyone have any good tips for a first-time fisheye user? I have a D300 if that makes any difference?

When you think you're close enough...move closer.

You're going to be amazed just how close you can get to subjects. I actually rest the palm of my left hand against the side/bottom of the lens with my fingers sticking out past the lens as Im composing because it's so easy to smash the front of the lens into your subject matter.

Fill that frame!

Enjoy.

Personally I have always had very good luck with Sigma lenses- but based on some of the 'bad copy' issues I have read about with some of their products it's probably not the lens I would grab off Ebay or anyplace questionable just to save a couple bucks.

That's a good point regarding Sigma. I've had good luck with their lenses, too, but if you play with fire long enough you're going to get burned.

Let me know when you decide to sell the 8-16mm. ;)

Seriously, though, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this lens. I am really close to getting one.

That's a good point regarding Sigma. I've had good luck with their lenses, too, but if you play with fire long enough you're going to get burned.

Let me know when you decide to sell the 8-16mm. ;)

Seriously, though, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this lens. I am really close to getting one.

I tried it briefly on the D700- on the zoom end it fills the full frame- seems really nice. I was kind of waiting on a good crop camera to give it a fair shake. At this point though I am really torn if I should go ahead with my plans and wait on a D7000 or spend a little extra ($150) and get a refurbished D300s now.

I tried it briefly on the D700- on the zoom end it fills the full frame- seems really nice. I was kind of waiting on a good crop camera to give it a fair shake. At this point though I am really torn if I should go ahead with my plans and wait on a D7000 or spend a little extra ($150) and get a refurbished D300s now.

Are you waiting on a pre-order to be fulfilled or are you waiting for some other reason? Unless the D300s has some specific features or functionality aspect that really appeals to you, I'd have a hard time choosing it over the D7000, and that's given the choice between new copies of each, at the same price. Then again, I really love the specs of the D7000, so it's perfect for me.

Paying more money for a refurbed D300s? That would be a really tough pill for me to swallow.

No rush on any 'review'. My mind is mostly made up on the lens, it's just a matter of justifying the $650 or so cost. I think if I got it, I would want a f/2.8 fisheye for on-ride photos, so getting it would mean also getting the Sigma 10mm f2.8 fish and selling my Tokina fish; and possibly selling my Tokina 11-16. I definitely would want to buy the Sigma fisheye used as there is considerable savings in doing that, so I guess finding a good and cheap used copy of that is the first step to put this plan in motion.

1. Have fun.
2. Watch your feet and fingers.
3. Have fun.
4. There is no tip #4.
5. Have fun.

How's that? :thumbsup2

Right now my widest angle lens is the Tamron 17-50.

Last month I, I got to use the Tokina fisheye zoom lens and I really liked experimenting with it. I was all set to get one when I started thinking about how much I would actually use it, if I would actually get tired of the fisheye effect. Even zoomed in there was still some fisheye effect.

I was wondering if the Tokina 11-16 would be a better choice.
Then again the 11-16 has been out of stock for a long time now and not sure how long I would be waiting on it.

I just picked up the Tokina 11-16. It is in stock at B&H and Adorama. I really like this lens. The distortion is minimal and wow what an angle of view. Clear as Chrystal shots. One reason I picked this over a fisheye is that you can add filters (polarizer or ND). Most fisheye lenses you cannot because of the glass sticks out the front. I don't have anything against a fish but the 11-16 is worth it and it seems to be in stock right now at a lot of places. Looks like the supply chain has finally caught up. I even saw 3-4 at a local camera shop in stock.

Another UWA lens to consider is the Sigma 8-16mm. It's not an f/2.8 like the Tokina but you do gain 3mm on the wide end. I believe it has glass similar to a fisheye though, and only accepts filters via a device that slips on over the lens hood. It's $100 more than the Tokina but seems to be in stock everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter