Fisheye Lenses

I am leaning toward the Sigma right now too. Especially since I already have an UWA in mid.

Oh, and for what it's worth, "all" the guys on Flickr use the Sigma. Well, most use the full frame Sigma, but you get the idea. They all seem to like it.

Jeff, you know I have the Nikon 10.5 and I love it. I find it to be very sharp and versatile. It is probably one of my top two favorite lens.

I was really impressed with the Sigma 10mm when I rented it in January. Good optics, didn't have any flare problems, fast AF, and it's built like a freakin tank. You saw it, though, it's also pretty huge comparatively.

Jeff, you know I have the Nikon 10.5 and I love it. I find it to be very sharp and versatile. It is probably one of my top two favorite lens.

I have no experience with the Sigma but the Nikkor 10.5mm is a stellar piece of glass.

I know the Nikon 10.5 is good- I had one and liked it very much until I accidentally dropped it on concrete. I just seem to remember a few people just raving about the Sigma- of course it could have been the 16mm version.

it's built like a freakin tank. You saw it, though, it's also pretty huge comparatively.

Really? I don't remember that part. Sigma does not list the lens weight but physical size is only 3"W x 3.3"L vs the Nikon (which is tiny) at 2.5"W x 2.5"L. Was it just that much heavier?

I am not at all fond of the Tokina 10-17. I don't think the IQ is that good, I don't use the zoom, and the coating seems prone to flair (although this seems to be typical of Tokinas...or so I've read).

I'm sure Groucho will defend it, as I think the Pentax version (they're the same, apparently) is his fisheye of choice.

I wish I would have gotten the Sigma.
I will defend it in some ways... it is supersharp (easily outresolves a 14.6mp APS sensor) and the Pentax coating has historically been the best in the biz, it is almost certainly superior to the coating on the Tamron version. Of course, the Pentax coating is moot here since we're talking about a Nikon mount. That being said, I do occasionally think about that Samyang 8mm one just out of curiosity - purple fringing is the real Achille's heel of the 10-17 - but I think that generally comes with the territory, to one degree or another, with any UWA, especially on APS. I'm not sure if the Samyang is much better but I have heard some good things about it. Maybe there's more of a difference between the Pentax and the Tokina than you'd see at first glance. FWIW the Sigma fish is available in Pentax mount and you almost never see anyone shooting with a Pentax DSLR using anything but the 10-17mm.

Gdad - I guess you don't remember when Cody and I put the Sigma next to the Pentax - the Sigma was much, much bigger and heavier. Supposedly the 10-17mm is a mere 2.7x2.8" vs 3x3.3"... I think it's the thickness that made it seem so much larger.

As only $50 difference in price at Amazon, between the Sigma and the Nikon, I would probably go with the Nikon, what with Sigma's relatively spotty reputation (overall, not particularly that lens.) They're both pretty pricey - I've very glad that I got my lens with a $100 rebate, and back when it cost even less normally. ;)

The Samyang 8mm...is that the one that is rebranded for like three other manufacturer's? If I recall correctly, it's manual focus on the D90 and wouldn't meter. With the D7000 it should meter, but would still be manual focus, right? Manual focus probably wouldn't be a big deal at all. It seems the price is right...

Yeah Tom, I have it branded as Rokinon. The 4 brands it runs under that I know of are Samyang, Rokinon, Pro-Optic, and Bower. All exactly the same. I don't find manual focus & aperture to be that big of a deal for fisheye (though, I admit, since every moment counts at WDW, I'm actually considering renting the Sigma again in Dec). Here's an HDR I took with it recently at a local photowalk:

5005363891_b092a80b5e_b.jpg

I haven't used an 8-10mm fisheye in manual focus, but my Zenitar 16mm fisheye is manual focus and it was rarely an issue - I almost never got an out-of-focus shot unless the subject was very close to the lens. The depth of field is relatively huge on them, especially stopped down a little... I am very fond of the Zenitar and it is my go-to fisheye on film and would be on a full-frame DSLR.

The Samyang sounds very interesting, supposedly it has some special "stereo" properties not present on other fisheyes. One note if any Pentax users are reading - I think that there is a difference with the different rebrands; some have an "A" aperture setting and some don't. Make sure you get one that does to have auto-aperture!

I have a few questions for the pro's :) Sorry if they are silly but I am a real amateur compared to you'll! I have a Canon T1i and I would love to rent a fisheye lens to try out on our trip to wdw. I am looking at the Canon EF f2.8. Thoughts on renting lens? Is this going to be a true fisheye on a digital camera? Any other info you can share would be great! Thank you :goodvibes

Canon currently doesn't make a fisheye for their crop-sensor cameras. (There is one coming but it isn't out yet and will be biiiiiiiiiig money.) Your options are the Sigma 10mm or Tokina 10-17mm (both autofocus) or Samyang 8mm (manual focus and sold under a variety of names.)

Canon currently doesn't make a fisheye for their crop-sensor cameras. (There is one coming but it isn't out yet and will be biiiiiiiiiig money.) Your options are the Sigma 10mm or Tokina 10-17mm (both autofocus) or Samyang 8mm (manual focus and sold under a variety of names.)

Thanks so much Groucho! :) I am sure it will be way more than I want to pay! Do you recommend the tokina or sigma? I own a sigma and have liked it well enough, I have never tried out a Tokina.

I'd say to look into the Sigma or Tokina too. Someone let me use their Canon EF fisheye for my T1i, and you don't get the full fisheye effect with it. It's slightly there, but definitely not enough to warrant getting one; even if just to rent.

Here's an uncropped shot that I took with it. Not as fishy as it could've been.

Postcards From The Future by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

I'd say to look into the Sigma or Tokina too. Someone let me use their Canon EF fisheye for my T1i, and you don't get the full fisheye effect with it. It's slightly there, but definitely not enough to warrant getting one; even if just to rent.

Here's an uncropped shot that I took with it. Not as fishy as it could've been.

Great thank you so much! That is what I was worried about, I was reading through info about some fisheye lens not being true fisheye lens depending on sensor sizes (?) and I would hate to spend the money and it not be anything special. I have found a site that will rent you the sigma or tokina so thanks to you two I think one of those will be what I try. :thumbsup2

I really appreciate the help!

No. Sigma and Tonika make lenses that fit on the Canon mount.

Just get the right one.

If you are unsure, go look over at www.borrowlenses.com or www.lensrentals.com

I want to say that lensrentals.com will allow you to apply a portion of the rental price towards a purchase on some of the sigma equipment. I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for the feedback all- after reading a few reviews I went ahead and ordered the Samyang 8mm f/3.5. From what I read and at a cost of $280 brand new it seems like a great value.

May I ask why you're looking to get an APS-C fisheye anyway? Is it for your daughter, or are you seriously looking to downgrade from your D700? If that's the case, I have a wonderful Nikon 10.5mm fisheye that I'd be more than willing to trade for your D700. :thumbsup2

May I ask why you're looking to get an APS-C fisheye anyway? Is it for your daughter, or are you seriously looking to downgrade from your D700? If that's the case, I have a wonderful Nikon 10.5mm fisheye that I'd be more than willing to trade for your D700. :thumbsup2

Thanks Ann! ;)

No- I considered it but I'm not letting go of my D700 yet. But I did sell off several lenses that were not seeing much use for one reason or another. Pretty much just cut it down to three primes- 28/1.4, 90/2.8, and 180/2.8. I really like the look of the new D7000 and plan to build an APS-C kit around it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter