• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fish Extenders?

:thumbsup2:love:

Wonderful job!!! :) She did great!

How did she make the icons, mickey, etc, iron ons?

Thanks!
For the characters, We actually each just selected an iron-on applique at Joanne's and she ironed them on the pockets. The letters were some iron on letters she had around the house.

We'll be on the Fantasy in June for my daughter's college graduation and she and her DBF will have a cabin of their own. :rolleyes1 I'd like to get them their own fish extender made as a surprise. There are great pictures of FEs some of you have made. My MIL sews and was wondering if there is a pattern or instructions that you've followed. Or, I've read the rave reviews about the FEs gradysmom, on ebay, has made. I'm not an ebay regular - how do I find her or contact her and does she do custom orders? :confused3

Many thanks for your help and guidance! :goodvibes

Just wanted to say i think it is soooooo coool that this thread is still going after all these years.

it was started by one of our fellow cruisers on my first cruise.

Just finished mine! Here it is....

147.jpg

Looks great!!! :thumbsup2:cool1:

I have yet to finish mine, it's all in a box ready to get sewn or glued! :) :banana:

Can I ask you, how you put the names and pirate hats? Iron on tranfers?

Looks great!!! :thumbsup2:cool1:

I have yet to finish mine, it's all in a box ready to get sewn or glued! :) :banana:

Can I ask you, how you put the names and pirate hats? Iron on tranfers?

Yep, I got the pirate mickey heads from milliepie's 4 shared file and I used paint to write our names on them (I also downloaded a Disney font) then I printed them out using iron on paper and ironed them on. Turned out great!

Me too.

I loved having the FE and all the anticipation, but now we're home and I've got this cute FE and nothing to do with it.

glassslipper:

I hung mine next to my desk at home. It holds my reading glasses, aspirin, chap stick, vitamins and "stuff" that keeps my desk clear. I also ordered it from gradysmommy from Ebay. I use it everyday. If my kids were younger, I'd use it for the end of the week allowance or treats for good school work. Now that I think about it, I can still use it when my 19 year old takes out the trash. I can put a note in there that says "good job, you can keep your cell phone today!"
:rotfl2: Or "great, you can drive your car today - the one we pay insurance for! Keep up with the chores! The week end is coming! " :banana:

You could hang it by the garage and put your car keys in there. I just love looking at it every day. I also have some of the FE gifts that we received all over. I cut a book marker and taped it to my computer screen - it has our cruise logo on it. My garage fridge has all my magnets on it. Just some thoughts :)

glassslipper: Now that I think about it, I can still use it when my 19 year old takes out the trash. I can put a note in there that says "good job, you can keep your cell phone today!"
:rotfl2: Or "great, you can drive your car today - the one we pay insurance for! Keep up with the chores! The week end is coming! " :banana:

OMG!!!! :rotfl::lmao::rotfl:

I thought you were talking about my 19yo!!!!!!!

That sounds like me - trash - dishwasher, but best yet, the phone I PAY FOR!!! THE CAR I PAY FOR!! The insurance too!!!!! How about college - cause he's got no job!! LOL
:rotfl:

Absolutely no idea how to sew beyond a button. So, I have read and read and read EVERYTHING I could find about FEs. I then decided to do a no-sew version. Upon telling my DH about it, he suggested asking my MIL for help. Well, long story short, I did. She said she could help me sew one. :cool1:

So, I researched more here, gathered all my facts, got some tips on fabrics after one feeling-clueless trip to JoAnn's.

Then, headed to my mother-in-law's with five different sets of FE instructions (from here and another site) loaded on my ipad and all of my ingredie - err - materials.

Upon arriving, she informed me that her friend who sews a lot was going to help us and we were driving over to her house. Uh --- okay. I'll take any help I can from any willing party.

We walked into her house and were invited into her - wait for it - sewing room. This woman had EVERYTHING! I came to find out over the course of the next few hours that she made her own clothes for many years, quilts beautifully, and had some tools that made my eyes pop out. And she was on my FE team! :cheer2:

I certainly did NOT make this FE, but I can say, "I helped!" (if ironing on interfacing and reading instructions counts as helping! :upsidedow)

And here it is... I think it's super cute! We also made a design-alternation and made the bottom pocket a little larger in case anyone gives out taller gifts. (Oh yeah, and I tied the bows!)

1317886003.jpg

and a close up

1317885757.jpg

Oh yeah, I also ironed on the cute rose!

Thanks, everyone, for your tips, posts, various instructions, and photos. I tried to convince my MIL's friend that she and I could go into business together: She makes them and I market the heck out of them and list/sell them on ebay. She siad she was very happy she could help Mandy's (my MIL) daughter-in-law, but she would pass on the business venture. :confused3 ;) :flower3: Eh, well, it was worth a try. If only I could sew.....

- Dreams

Absolutely no idea how to sew beyond a button. So, I have read and read and read EVERYTHING I could find about FEs. I then decided to do a no-sew version. Upon telling my DH about it, he suggested asking my MIL for help. Well, long story short, I did. She said she could help me sew one. :cool1:

This is adorable! Does anyone know of a video somewhere to show how to make a FE? I dont have a sewing machine and am not a seamstress. I would love to learn how to make a no sew one. Ive looked online but could not find a video for one. Any thoughts?

This is adorable! Does anyone know of a video somewhere to show how to make a FE? I dont have a sewing machine and am not a seamstress. I would love to learn how to make a no sew one. Ive looked online but could not find a video for one. Any thoughts?

I know there are a lot of versions out there but the one I used was on Scrapping theMagic. http://www.scrappingthemagic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2237 there are step by step pictures and it was really easy to follow.

Hope that helps.

You can find the "Cruise Meet" from your sail date, and find out there. That's how we found ours. Have fun!

I am sailing on the Fantasy April 4/14/2012 . This will be our family's 4 Disney cruise. We always see the fish Extenders and our children really want to be a part of it. We have 2 rooms I have found some great ones on ebay. However I don't no how are where to start talking to people on my cruise I am a newbee to DIS.

Hoping some on can help.
Thanks
Cambridge Clan

Find the "Cruise Meet" for your cruise and look there. That's where we found ours. Have fun!

I have a question for all the past FE participants that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. We are planning on taking our FE gift bags and FE in our carry-on luggage. Is there anything we need to be concerned with from a TSA perspective? Would the rod the FE hangs on cause any problems and what about any candy, pencils, or trinkets in the gift bags? I'd just hate to go to all the trouble of putting this together to find out it never leaves my home airport

Thanks for any feedback!!!

I have a question for all the past FE participants that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. We are planning on taking our FE gift bags and FE in our carry-on luggage. Is there anything we need to be concerned with from a TSA perspective?

If you are flying in at least a day before the cruise, you could consider shipping a box of FE stuff ahead to your hotel. Then you can either re-pack it at the hotel or carry it onto the ship yourself. I found that to be a very easy way to handle the issue. The only caveat would be if you are flying internationally--I found out the hard way that there are customs fees to pay if you ship a box internationally (we went to Vancouver for the Alaska cruise this summer).

I haven't ever tried to ship a box directly to ships at Port Canaveral, but if you look in the DCL FAQ thread there is information for how to do that as well.

HTH!
-Maureen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter