Fish Extenders?

robinsa88 said:
I can't seem to find a thread for my cruise - Dec 7th on the fantasy....is it possible it is too early....I am so excited after learning about FEs!

I am from Australia though and may have trouble finding one....will try etsy, or maybe put my creative juices to the test and make one!

In one FE thread someone posted a FE they bought at Ikea. I checked and it was available at Ikea here in Australia. Pretty reasonably priced too, if that helps.

michellekcm said:
In one FE thread someone posted a FE they bought at Ikea. I checked and it was available at Ikea here in Australia. Pretty reasonably priced too, if that helps.

Just looked them up, they look great! Should be pretty easy to personalise myself. Thanks!

Has anyone ever done this before? I am traveling with my daughter, who is disabled and my 10 year old granddaughter. Worrying that it will be too much to manage with equipment and luggage. Thanks for any suggestions. pixiedust:

Has anyone ever done this before? I am traveling with my daughter, who is disabled and my 10 year old granddaughter. Worrying that it will be too much to manage with equipment and luggage. Thanks for any suggestions. pixiedust:
I have not shipped but have read many threads about people who have shipped and it seems to work out fine! Did you search the board about shipping? Though I'm sure people who have actually shipped will also reply!

That being said, I notice you posted this on the FE board. Have you signed up to do the FE for your cruise? We went on our first cruise this past July and did the FE (I was with my 13 year old and my 78 year old mother) The FE was great fun and I think my mom enjoyed it just as much as my daughter! I would do it if you can...it will add to the magic of your cruise!

Also, I have found Disney to be very helpful with everything. I am sure if you call and give a heads up that your daughter is disabled, they will be very accommodating.

Do you have early or main dining? We wanted early but were assigned to main. My mom really didn't want to eat that late. They were so helpful and even though technically there were 'no seats' they found a way to switch us after the first night.

Point being, I think they will go out of their way to help you!

Have a great trip!

Old thread I know, but I've never posted my pic from 2009.
IMG_5622_zps1136de91.jpg

The extender was pretty much all felt and the Mickey ears on the door were all foam.

I have not shipped but have read many threads about people who have shipped and it seems to work out fine! Did you search the board about shipping? Though I'm sure people who have actually shipped will also reply!

That being said, I notice you posted this on the FE board. Have you signed up to do the FE for your cruise? We went on our first cruise this past July and did the FE (I was with my 13 year old and my 78 year old mother) The FE was great fun and I think my mom enjoyed it just as much as my daughter! I would do it if you can...it will add to the magic of your cruise!

Also, I have found Disney to be very helpful with everything. I am sure if you call and give a heads up that your daughter is disabled, they will be very accommodating.

Do you have early or main dining? We wanted early but were assigned to main. My mom really didn't want to eat that late. They were so helpful and even though technically there were 'no seats' they found a way to switch us after the first night.

Point being, I think they will go out of their way to help you!

Have a great trip!

We have shipped, with no problems. We used UPS so we could track the package. We cruised on Sunday so I shipped the package the Monday before. We live in MD, it arrived on Thursday. The box was 12x12x12. :thumbsup2

I made my own and I am a novice at sewing. You can google fish extenders and there are directions on how to make them with measurements for the pieces of fabric. Instead of sewing, you could also use this stuff called stitch witchery. It basically binds with the use of a hot iron. I would post a pic of mine, but I don't have enough posts yet :(

It was a lot of fun for my kids to get "presents". Also we didn't have a HUGE group, so it wasn't too bad packing everything in our luggage. But, it was also a short 3 day cruise.

Here's a picture of my FE when it was still being made. I wanted to make mine a bit differently then those I've seen online.

image-L.jpg

It's about 8 inches across.

I purchased black velour (like a mickey mouse plush) for the body of the FE and made a long rectangle sock using hot glue to seal the sides and bottom, and used felt to reinforce it at the bottom. Afterwards, i turned the sock inside out, and cut two horizontal slits for pockets on one side, and lined the inside of the opening slit using felt and attached it all using hot glue. (I left about 1/2" on each side of the velour uncut.) There is a small lip of the fabric which I turned over the flap and glued to the outside.

I also purchased red felt with white polkadots, yellow felt, black felt, white felt. I found pictures online of mickey's shoes and shorts and minnie's shoes and traced them/ cut them out using felt. (trace the reverse side to avoid trace marks from showing up.) I pleated the dress first, folding evenly to give the apperance of pleats. I used small amounts of hot glue to keep the pleats stiff. To cover the edgs, I cut a small 'belt' of marerial to hide the top edge. I should have made it wider and folded it over to cover the top of the pleats, but that is the perfectionist in me talking.

I also used small rectangle pieces of fabric to make a bow, just put a small dab of glue in the center of a felt rectagle and press together

Last but not least: I bought sticker letters and the cruise words from Michael's in their scrapbooking/sticker section. They had quite a collection!

The picture shown is with the bottom pocket cut out, and it goes to the bottom of the velour. There is a pencil sticking out to give you an idea where the pocket opening is on Minnie's dress. Mickey's pants and shoes are not attached yet, but in the picture it shows where he will be. Minnie's shoes are not attached either. (they actually wound up closer to the dress.)

I know this is very different from most I've seen, and I kinda 'winged it'

This was all done using a hot glue gun - something I use for making some small cloth ornaments and ballerina bears in the past. I actually just finished it.

Now I have a question - is 8 inches too wide? The dowel adds about 3/4" inch past it. How thick of a Dowel do you suggest? I think the one I have might be too thin. How long should my string be?

Thanks!

Such great ideas everyone! Am starting mine this week so have a fair bit of reading to do to get ideas for this craft challenged individual! x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter