Fish Extender Patterns???

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
I have looked for the big thread on these and couldn't find it.

Just wondering if anyone has a pattern or description on how to make these???

Also how much material is required???

Thank you

Kim

I don't know where the post is from the prior thread but here is what I did . . .

Made a rectangle pattern -- 9" x 30"
Make another rectangle pattern for pockets 9" x 6" - cut 4 sets (double - right sides together)

Put right sides together and cut one out double for front/back.

Cut a piece of felt that is 1" shorter than the pattern -- this will be your interfacing.

Cut out 4 pockets (doubled)

With right sides together, stitch top and bottom of each pocket. Turn and press flat.

Baste the felt to the wrong side of one of the pattern pieces.

Pin pockets to front of FE that you just basted, matching edges.

Baste pockets along the sides.

Sew bottom of each pocket to the front of FE. I used a decorative stitch. You could also use some type of ribbon or bias tape.

Pin back of fish extender to front with right sides together.

Stitch using 3/8" seam allowance leaving about a 3 to 4 inch section unstitched to turn the FE right side out.

Trim corners and turn right side out.

Iron flat and stitch the unstitched section closed.

At the top of the FE, turn down to make a casing to put a wooden dowel rod.

Decorate your pockets . . . depending on how you're going to decorate your pockets . . . either decorate them before you baste them to the front of the FE or after the FE is totally sewn.

Excuse my half-sewing/half-made up verbage.

Hope this helps a little.

I have looked for the big thread on these and couldn't find it.

Just wondering if anyone has a pattern or description on how to make these???

Also how much material is required???

Thank you

Kim

Hi Kim! Good to see you on the boards! Cruising again!:woohoo: Have a great time. Cheri and I are working on fish extenders too for our upcoming cruise in July. Sure hope I can get this to work!

Johnna

Hi Kim! Good to see you on the boards! Cruising again!:woohoo: Have a great time. Cheri and I are working on fish extenders too for our upcoming cruise in July. Sure hope I can get this to work!

Johnna

No, you're working on them. I feel like someone told me to build the Taj Mahal out of sugar cubes wearing a blind fold and having only a toothpick and old shoe as materials. Where is McGyver when you need him?

Don't Stress, I made mine in about an hour and I havn't sewn in years. Some pepole and even used iron on tape instead of sewing...

Thanks everyone!!!

Hi Johnna and Cheri how are you guys. Looks like you are cruising DCL again as well. We have strayed to a different cruise line for a few but coming back to DCL for October.

Have a great time and your cruise and good luck with your sewing:cheer2:

Kim

Don't Stress, I made mine in about an hour and I havn't sewn in years. Some pepole and even used iron on tape instead of sewing...

Iron on tape - wow - now I am interested. Anything that involves sewing doesn't interest me at all, but if I can iron one of these things together, then I want one.;)

Where do I get iron on tape? :confused3

Iron on tape - wow - now I am interested. Anything that involves sewing doesn't interest me at all, but if I can iron one of these things together, then I want one.;)

Where do I get iron on tape? :confused3

I USED ILEENS NO SEW GLUE!!! WORKED GREAT. JUST FOLD OVER EACH SIDE AS IF THEY WERE SEAMS AND GLUE! THEN ADD CUTE BOWS OR WHATEVERS.
fishextender.jpg

mindy327 - Thanks for the help. I think I'll head to Walmart this weekend and get my supplies to make one of these fish extenders.

Knowing that I don't have to get my sewing machine out (it's been shoved in the back of the storage room for 15+ years) is great news to me. My MIL is a professional seamstress (that was her job forever) and she does any sewing, alterations, hemming, and even sewing on buttons for our family:thumbsup2 ). I know she would make one of these for me, but since she does so much for us already, I'd hate to ask her to do more.

So this glue stuff sounds very doable to me.

Bren

I made my first fish extender with no sew directions I found on the dis boards under DIS DCL FAQ. I got all my supplies from Wal-mart and my fabric from Jo-Anns. It wasn't hard but took me a long time b/c I am not very artistic and had never tried something like this.

What should the dimentions of a finished FE be? I am afraid the pictures are making them seem bigger than they actually are.

Thanks

I don't know where the post is from the prior thread but here is what I did . . .

Made a rectangle pattern -- 9" x 30"
Make another rectangle pattern for pockets 9" x 6" - cut 4 sets (double - right sides together)

Put right sides together and cut one out double for front/back.

Cut a piece of felt that is 1" shorter than the pattern -- this will be your interfacing.

Cut out 4 pockets (doubled)

With right sides together, stitch top and bottom of each pocket. Turn and press flat.

Baste the felt to the wrong side of one of the pattern pieces.

Pin pockets to front of FE that you just basted, matching edges.

Baste pockets along the sides.

Sew bottom of each pocket to the front of FE. I used a decorative stitch. You could also use some type of ribbon or bias tape.

Pin back of fish extender to front with right sides together.

Stitch using 3/8" seam allowance leaving about a 3 to 4 inch section unstitched to turn the FE right side out.

Trim corners and turn right side out.

Iron flat and stitch the unstitched section closed.

At the top of the FE, turn down to make a casing to put a wooden dowel rod.

Decorate your pockets . . . depending on how you're going to decorate your pockets . . . either decorate them before you baste them to the front of the FE or after the FE is totally sewn.

Excuse my half-sewing/half-made up verbage.

Hope this helps a little.

Many thanks.... I dont sew, but am going to give it a whirl!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter