Firsts, Fourths, and Farewells (4/28 Back to the Future!)

When Mom finally arrived with X, J offered to watch the kids so Mom could experience the ride herself.
And, yes, we got a chance to ride another ride by ourselves!

When we arrived back at the Mission:Space Base, J had just returned with the kids.
Poor J – not only did he watch the kids so we could ride together, but he had to suffer a “potty emergency!”
For those of you who don’t know, the closest restrooms to Mission:Space are in the building directly in front of both Test Track and Mission:Space (a bit more on the Test Track side).
It’s right past Innoventions.
So J grabbed the kids and headed out to avoid an accident (since our kids were fond of letting us know at the last possible minute).
All three kids.
With a stroller.
And all our bags.
In the rain.
Did I mention it started to rain?
Such a good Unca our kids have…

He survived and the kids made it without an accident so all was well.
Except the kids wanted more time to play in Mission:Space Base.
So we gave them a couple more minutes while Mom made a postcard and then it was time to head out.
The rain had stopped and we would be returning here for some fun tomorrow.
But, for now, we had some character rain checks to cash in!

And now... the rest of the story. (With apologies to the late Paul Harvey.)

As most of you probably know, Mission: Space Base has a huge multi-player
video game opposite the playground-like area. I wanted to play that and asked X if he wanted to, too. He said yes. But, since there was no one else
there yet (since a game had just finished shortly before), we were asked to wait on the line until enough others showed up that they would let everyone
on line in to start another game. :surfweb:

After about 5-10 minutes, X tells me that he has to go potty. Oh, great. :eek: I ask him if he can hold it for a few minutes, to make sure that he'll be able
to make it until we get to the bathroom and not have an accident; yes, he can. I quickly decide that I can't possibly leave DS and DD behind to play,
even though they would 99% likely be absolutely fine and never even notice we were gone, so I get DS' attention and tell him to find DD elsewhere in the
playground and come on out, unfortunately cutting their playtime short. :sad1:

DS doesn't flinch or complain about the request and dutifully retrieves his sister. :cool1: While he's doing that, I leave rather the panicked message on
Mike's cell phone (possibly even on Stacey's also, just to play it safe) letting them know exactly where we are going so they don't start worrying if they
get back before we do.

Mercifully, I knew exactly where that particular bathroom was by this point in time, so it was a fast dash to get there. :yay: And with it being all four of us,
we all made our way into the handicap stall -- thankfully no one else had been in there to delay us or require DS and DD to stand outside one stall
while I accompanied X into another.

While that might have been the most stressful sequence of events, the most awkward (inappropriate, even) and funniest was what happened next, TMI
though it may be. ;) Since X was only 4, he still didn't know how to keep his pants on while going #1, so everything's dropped. The rest of us, obviously,
are standing behind him, waiting. DS and DD are pointing at X's bottom and commenting "it's so cute!" in that squeaky "how adorable" voice you would
use for a puppy. :cutie: I was trying so hard not to crack up, because I had the thoughts of "Guys, that's not appropriate for you to be doing" and "You're
right" at the same time. :lmao: I don't recall if I wound up stopping them, but it was no more than a gentle "Guys, enough" if anything. :laughing:

Having survived the potty emergency, we returned to the Space Base.

And now... the rest of the story. (With apologies to the late Paul Harvey.)

As most of you probably know, Mission: Space Base has a huge multi-player
video game opposite the playground-like area. I wanted to play that and asked X if he wanted to, too. He said yes. But, since there was no one else
there yet (since a game had just finished shortly before), we were asked to wait on the line until enough others showed up that they would let everyone
on line in to start another game. :surfweb:

After about 5-10 minutes, X tells me that he has to go potty. Oh, great. :eek: I ask him if he can hold it for a few minutes, to make sure that he'll be able
to make it until we get to the bathroom and not have an accident; yes, he can. I quickly decide that I can't possibly leave DS and DD behind to play,
even though they would 99% likely be absolutely fine and never even notice we were gone, so I get DS' attention and tell him to find DD elsewhere in the
playground and come on out, unfortunately cutting their playtime short. :sad1:

DS doesn't flinch or complain about the request and dutifully retrieves his sister. :cool1: While he's doing that, I leave rather the panicked message on
Mike's cell phone (possibly even on Stacey's also, just to play it safe) letting them know exactly where we are going so they don't start worrying if they
get back before we do.

Mercifully, I knew exactly where that particular bathroom was by this point in time, so it was a fast dash to get there. :yay: And with it being all four of us,
we all made our way into the handicap stall -- thankfully no one else had been in there to delay us or require DS and DD to stand outside one stall
while I accompanied X into another.

While that might have been the most stressful sequence of events, the most awkward (inappropriate, even) and funniest was what happened next, TMI
though it may be. ;) Since X was only 4, he still didn't know how to keep his pants on while going #1, so everything's dropped. The rest of us, obviously,
are standing behind him, waiting. DS and DD are pointing at X's bottom and commenting "it's so cute!" in that squeaky "how adorable" voice you would
use for a puppy. :cutie: I was trying so hard not to crack up, because I had the thoughts of "Guys, that's not appropriate for you to be doing" and "You're
right" at the same time. :lmao: I don't recall if I wound up stopping them, but it was no more than a gentle "Guys, enough" if anything. :laughing:

No comments on the rain?
Or did it not start until your way back from the restrooms?
And, BTW, we didn't get that message until we were off the ride and on the way back to the Mission: Space Base.

The rest of us, obviously,

:rotfl2: I have a visual of all 4 of you crammed in the handicap stall as the stroller is tipping over backwards because of all the stuff hanging on it and you are trying your hardest not to laugh.

Tell Mike and Stacy they need to check for potential potty emergencies the next time they leave you on watch.

I'll be back later to see the Duffy pics! :goodvibes

No comments on the rain?
Or did it not start until your way back from the restrooms?
And, BTW, we didn't get that message until we were off the ride and on the way back to the Mission: Space Base.

I think it had either just finished raining, or was light enough at the time to not be a problem. We were booking it fast enough as is, regardless. Last thing I needed was to have X go before we got where we were going. :-)

I'm not too keen on Duffy's story since it feels like he just came from out of nowhere. But I have to say, he's really cute. Great pics!

:rotfl2: I have a visual of all 4 of you crammed in the handicap stall as the stroller is tipping over backwards because of all the stuff hanging on it and you are trying your hardest not to laugh.

It's good to have an Unca! ;)

I think it had either just finished raining, or was light enough at the time to not be a problem. We were booking it fast enough as is, regardless. Last thing I needed was to have X go before we got where we were going. :-)

True, but I felt worse for you when I thought you were running in the rain.

I'm not too keen on Duffy's story since it feels like he just came from out of nowhere. But I have to say, he's really cute. Great pics!

Duffy has actually been around a while.
Before the recent craze he originated back during a Teddy Bear Convention they had in Disney although his story was a bit different
(he was just called the Disney Bear back then).
He faded out in WDW but was real big in Tokyo.
So they tried to bring him back to the US with an updated backstory and a new name - Duffy.
Looks like this time he caught on.
My kids ADORE :lovestruc him...

After our encounter with the ball of fluff known as the Disney Bear, we headed back to the World Showcase.
There was still someone else we wanted to see.
Unfortunately, Mexico Donald was not out in his new Meet and Greet location due to the rain.
So we headed inside to explore Mexico.
Disney2011DayFour245-1.jpg

Disney2011DayFour245-2.jpg

As we came down the ramps into the Square, we noticed a couple of people waiting and quickly found out that Donald would be appearing here very shortly.
So we hopped on line.
While we waited, we continued our World Showcase Mission even if the hats here were a tad big for X…
Disney2011DayFour246.jpg

And don’t forget Donald!
Disney2011DayFour247.jpg

I was even able to talk Unca into a picture…
Disney2011DayFour248.jpg

Finally Donald appeared raring to go!
Disney2011DayFour249.jpg

X ran over and would not let go!
Disney2011DayFour250.jpg

Disney2011DayFour251.jpg

Disney2011DayFour252.jpg

I actually think our pics may have adjusted for the lighting better than the Photopass pics.
What do you guys think?
Disney2011Photopass707.jpg

Disney2011Photopass710.jpg

After our fowl encounter, something got our Princess’ attention.
Duffy wardrobe!
She really liked the Mexican Duffy outfit – so much so, it became her souvenir for the trip.
Disney2011DayFour253.jpg

Disney2011DayFour254.jpg

With the shopping completed, we headed off to join our friends – the Three Caballeros!
Everyone sing!
“We’re three caballeros…”
Disney2011DayFour255.jpg

Disney2011DayFour256-1.jpg

Disney2011DayFour256-2.jpg

Disney2011DayFour256-3.jpg

Disney2011DayFour256-4.jpg

Disney2011DayFour256-5.jpg

Disney2011DayFour256-6.jpg

J manned the camera this trip down El Rio del Tempo.
I was enjoying singing along with the boys.
And he took some interesting details along the way.
Check them out…
Disney2011DayFour257.jpg

Disney2011DayFour258.jpg

Disney2011DayFour259.jpg

Disney2011DayFour260-1.jpg

Disney2011DayFour261.jpg

Disney2011DayFour262.jpg

Disney2011DayFour264.jpg

Disney2011DayFour265.jpg

Disney2011DayFour266.jpg

Disney2011DayFour267.jpg

Disney2011DayFour268.jpg

Disney2011DayFour269.jpg

Disney2011DayFour270.jpg

Disney2011DayFour271.jpg

Disney2011DayFour272.jpg

Disney2011DayFour273.jpg

Disney2011DayFour275a.jpg

Disney2011DayFour276.jpg

Disney2011DayFour277.jpg

Disney2011DayFour279.jpg

Disney2011DayFour280.jpg

Disney2011DayFour281a.jpg

Disney2011DayFour282a.jpg

Back to see your Duffy pictures and I timed it just right for a new update! :cool1: Your kids continue to win the photogenic award. Great pics!

I had no idea that Duffy has a hidden Mickey on his butt! :laughing:

Back to see your Duffy pictures and I timed it just right for a new update! :cool1: Your kids continue to win the photogenic award. Great pics!

I had no idea that Duffy has a hidden Mickey on his butt! :laughing:

Thanks for the kinds words about the pics.
We love the fact that Duffy has not only the Mickey pawprint but that little spot on his butt.
The Baby Duffy plush even has an old butt flap in his overalls so you can see it!

I didn't realize that Donald appears inside when it's raining. Good to know :thumbsup2

Very cute pics with Donald! :)

The princess made a good choice for her souvie! I was tempted by that outfit on our last trip :)

J did a great job capturing the cruise. I felt like I was there :thumbsup2

I didn't realize that Donald appears inside when it's raining. Good to know :thumbsup2

Very cute pics with Donald! :)

The princess made a good choice for her souvie! I was tempted by that outfit on our last trip :)

J did a great job capturing the cruise. I felt like I was there :thumbsup2

Not sure if "inside Donald" is a standard thing or if we just got lucky.
But I'm not complaining! :thumbsup2

I love the fact that X is so in love with Donald that he couldn't even look at the camera for most of the pictures. That's awesome!

X is so adorable with his love for Donald!! :donald: I hope my niece is that excited about seeing all the characters.

I love the fact that X is so in love with Donald that he couldn't even look at the camera for most of the pictures. That's awesome!

X is so adorable with his love for Donald!! :donald: I hope my niece is that excited about seeing all the characters.

Donald still remains X's favorite.
Ever since he followed him around Tusker House chanting "Duck! Duck! Duck!"

Love Duffy! He's so cute and fluffy!! :)
Nice update. :cool1:

All the kids love Duffy - he is so very huggable :hug:

We returned from our lovely cruise along El Rio del Tempo after successfully finding Donald and dragging him to the big show.
We headed back towards the Square and the entrance of the Pavillion.
We had reservations next door at the brand new Hacienda de San Angel.
However, the lobby of the Mexico pavilion was packed.
Apparently the rain had started again.
And it hadn’t just started but the skies literally opened up.
There were sheets of water coming down – almost as if we were watching the water screens from Fantasmic!

So we did what any veteran DIS traveler would do – break out the Disney ponchos.
We always come prepared as Mom has collected durable Disney ponchos over the years that are always in the bottom of the stroller for just such an occasion.
Everyone donned their poncho and we decided to turn X into the Bubble Boy by wrapping him into the stroller.

Disney2011DayFour284.jpg

Disney2011DayFour285.jpg

Disney2011DayFour286.jpg

Then, we headed to the handicapped access to the pavilion with the ramp and all stormed out into the night.
Buckets drenched us from head to toe and we had to literally wade through HUUUUGE puddles at the end of the ramp.
Luckily we were simply heading next door.
The CM’s let us fold up the stroller and keep it inside so we got out of our ponchos and checked in.
The place was deserted due to the rain and we were earlier than our ADR.
I had originally planned to eat by the window and then cap off the meal by watching Illuminations from our seats.
But we had expected to walk a bit after Mexico and that changed with the rains.
So with Illuminations most likely canceled for the evening, we decided to eat early and head home.

The restaurant inside is very picturesque and has a nice ambiance.
And since I found a logo for the new restaurant, I had some more fun with Photoshop…
Disney2011DayFour290a.jpg

Disney2011DayFour291.jpg

After perusing the pretty menus, we decided there was too much to choose from!
So we started with a margaria flight!!
Disney2011DayFour292.jpg

Disney2011DayFour293.jpg

The flight has some interesting tastes in it like the Orange Mango Fire, Mango Bluberry Basil, Rosita, and Lime Raspberry.
Very yummy.
Then it was on to the food!

For appetizers, I got the Queso Fundito. Mmmm – lots and lots and lots of cheese!!
And very, very filling.
Disney2011DayFour295.jpg

Mom got the Botana – a sampling of Mexican favorites: chicken tostado, Chilorio sope (marinated pork), and cheese empanada.
She really enjoyed it.
Disney2011DayFour297.jpg

J went with the Taquiza - taco trio featuring Rib eye taco with chipolte salsa, roasted chicken taco with salsa verde, and Chilorio (marinated pork) taco.
We ended up splitting the queso and taquiza.
Very yummy…
Disney2011DayFour301.jpg

It was almost time for dinner and we were almost full already.
The Princess ordered chicken tacos.
Disney2011DayFour294.jpg

X went with chicken fingers
Disney2011DayFour296.jpg

And DS ordered a taco with no meat (re: quesadilla) since a quesadilla wasn’t on the menu. :goodvibes
Disney2011DayFour299.jpg

Mom ordered the Tacos de Camarones - Fried shrimp, chipotle-lime aioli, cabbage, lime and salsa verde, all served over flour tortillas.
She was in heaven.
Disney2011DayFour298.jpg

J and I had fun and went with the house special – La Hacienda:
Mixed grill offering flank steak, chicken al pastor, chorizo and vegetables, served with beans and fresh salsas
Oh my was this a lot of food.
But it was really, really good.
Disney2011DayFour300a.jpg

Next was dessert – gotta love the Deluxe Dining Plan.
We were stuffed.
But the boys got ice cream and found a way to finish it.
X’s came with a candle as the restaurant sang him Happy Birthday!
Disney2011DayFour306.jpg

Disney2011DayFour307.jpg

Disney2011DayFour312.jpg

Disney2011DayFour313.jpg

Disney2011DayFour314.jpg

Mom went with the Tamal de Dulce - sweet tamal filled with guava, topped with strawberry coulis
Disney2011DayFour319.jpg

The Princess ordered caramel churros…
Disney2011DayFour318.jpg

And J and I ordered Crema de Chocolate "Abuelita" - Chocolate custard served with crunchy bunuelo strips and caramel syrup
Disney2011DayFour316.jpg

We were stuffed but we had a great time.
The only negative was that the service was really, really, slow.
Dinner went for about 2 hours and we were basically the only people in the restaurant.
Not sure why it took so long if it wasn’t busy but we’d definitely try it again.
But before we go, how about some more details…
Disney2011DayFour303.jpg

Disney2011DayFour304.jpg

Disney2011DayFour305.jpg

Disney2011DayFour320.jpg

Disney2011DayFour321.jpg

Disney2011DayFour322.jpg

After dinner it was late – about 8:45.
We packed everything up and peeked outside.
Suprisingly, no rain.
We wandered out in the pathways of World Showcase.
The deck of Cantina de San Angel was packed with people avoiding the raining and now sitting for Illuminations.
Wait a second!
No more rain. The park was cleared. What a PERFECT time for the kids to see their first Illuminations.
We wandered around the lagoon and found a spot right near the Duffy Gazebo.
With ten minutes to Illuminations.
That rain had surely emptied the park.
We parked there and waited a bit and then the park went black and the torches were lit.
We had a perfect view when the globe moved forward – it was basically right in front of us.
I was hoping this would help the kids appreciate it since they could actually see it.
Disney2011DayFour323.jpg

Once the “boring” part (as the kids called it) concluded, the sky was ablaze.
Disney2011DayFour324.jpg

Disney2011DayFour325.jpg

Disney2011DayFour326.jpg

Disney2011DayFour327.jpg

Disney2011DayFour329.jpg

Disney2011DayFour341.jpg

Disney2011DayFour328.jpg

Mom had headed to the Picture Center to pick up our free Disney VISA 5x7.
On her way back, she had an entirely different angle of the fireworks.
Here’s what she got on her way back…
Disney2011DayFour341.jpg

Disney2011DayFour342.jpg

Disney2011DayFour343.jpg

Disney2011DayFour344.jpg

Mom finally rejoined us in time for the finale.
But, as once might expect, X didn’t make it through the show.
Disney2011DayFour346.jpg

The other two kids were pretty tired and didn’t really appreciate it.
I know lots of people love Illuminations and I like the fireworks as well but I’d take Wishes or Fantasmic over them if I had to choose.
And I miss the Tapesty of Nations parade.

On the way out of the park, I tried to get some neat pictures of Spaceship Earth after the storm…
Disney2011DayFour345.jpg

Disney2011DayFour347.jpg

Disney2011DayFour348.jpg

J went in for some closer (albeit blurrier) shots...
Disney2011DayFour349.jpg

Disney2011DayFour350.jpg

And that was it as Day Four came to a close.
Seems like a very long day now that I recap it.
But we had lots more to do and we'd be coming back to Epcot tomorrow!
Stay tuned!

So we did what any veteran DIS traveler would do – break out the Disney ponchos.

We always come prepared as Mom has collected durable Disney ponchos over the years that are always in the bottom of the stroller for just such an occasion.

Disney2011DayFour285.jpg

Disney2011DayFour286.jpg

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, my first trip to Disney was in 1994, after graduating college. I bought a poncho then and had it folded up in the
bottom of my backpack ever since. Note the difference in the opening on mine compared to Mike's. His actually has a zipper. Mine doesn't, and had
been slightly torn back in '94. Well, it didn't survive the night.

Given the torrential downpour outside and me running out first to get the door open so everyone else could just scoot inside the restaurant (which was
ACROSS the way which, tonight, seemed about as big as Lake Michigan), not just next door, thankyouverymuch :rotfl2:, I was holding the hood with one
hand, lest it fly back and render the poncho 100% worthless. Well, in those few seconds, it split down the front even further.

After perusing the pretty menus, we decided there was too much to choose from!

So we started with a margaria flight!!

Disney2011DayFour293.jpg

The flight has some interesting tastes in it like the Orange Mango Fire, Mango Bluberry Basil, Rosita, and Lime Raspberry.
Very yummy.
Then it was on to the food!

None of us are particularly huge drinkers, but we each like margaritas among those things which we will drink. So, yeah, why not give this a shot between
the three of us. Gives us a good taste of several varieties without even the chance of it hitting us. (Even less so given the crazy-slow service Mike
mentioned.)

Here's the descriptions of the drinks though, in preference order (from favorite to least, with their positions within the flight indicated, hopefully correctly):

Lime Rasberry :hyper: Margarita (#4) - El Mayor premium Tequila, orange liqueur, rasberry, fresh lime juice, agave nectar syrup, served on the rocks with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim.

Classic :goodvibes Margarita (#5) - El Mayor premium silver Tequila, orange liqueur, fresh lime juice, agave nectar syrup, served on the rocks with a cactus lemongrass salt rim

Rosita :blush: Margarita (#2) - El Mayor Premium silver Tequila, orange liqueur, fresh lime juice, rose syrup with hibiscus salt on the rim
(The rose syrup would take some getting used to, but it was ok.)

Mango Blueberry Basil :stir: Margarita (#1) - El Mayor premium silver Tequila, coconut rum, orange juice, mango, blueberries, basil, served on the
rocks with a hibiscus salt rim.
(Blueberry in a margarita is just strange.)

Orange Mango Fire :scared1: Margarita (#3) - El Mayor premium Tequila, ginger liqueur, orange juice, mango, fresh lime juice, a hint of tabasco sauce,
served on the rocks with a Tajin chili powder rim
(While I don't mind the heat of tabasco :cool2:, it is SO not a good flavor for a drink!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter