Firsts, Fourths, and Farewells (4/28 Back to the Future!)

How cool that you all got to meet Darth Vader after DS participatied in the Jedi Academy! I totally remember those Star Wars trading cards. My brother had them. The year the movie came out I was Princess Leia for Halloween and it is still one of my all-time favorite costumes :)

Great pictures! :thumbsup2

Thanks!
Mom was too Leia for Halloween a couple of years later.
Coincidentally, I was Luke that same year - though we hadn't even met yet.
Talk about being connected by the Force...

So I was going through the rest of my notes and stumbled across X's Birthday card.
I had forgotten that the Play 'N' Dine characters presented us with a wonderful little keepsake after that breakfast.
Each character signed and decorated this cute little card to our little one:
HV001.jpg

HV002.jpg

Just another piece of that Disney Magic.
And now, back to our story...

And then, I cracked J up (I forget what I said but I think these are the first pics he actually smiled for!!

Disney2011Photopass123.jpg

Disney2011Photopass124.jpg

Darn good question - I don't remember, either. :confused3 I would figure that it was something that was actually Star Trek related. (Since it hasn't been outright mentioned yet, for those playing at home, Mike and I fairly well embody the wars of opinion that break out between the Star Wars fanatics and the Trekkers. I am most certainly the latter, but easily take (some of) the potshots.)

Hmm... could it have been that Vader's helmet was even shinier than Picard's head? :happytv:

You get smiles from me in pics if I'm laughing, as I was. :lmao: Otherwise, it looks fake from me, so why bother? :confused3 Anyone else think that for pics?

I am bumping you this morning so I can see your PP pictures when I get home tonight!!!!!! :thumbsup2

Great PP pics! I knew they would be. I especially love the one of you and the kids! :thumbsup2

I am bumping you this morning so I can see your PP pictures when I get home tonight!!!!!! :thumbsup2

We love a good bump! :goodvibes

Great PP pics! I knew they would be. I especially love the one of you and the kids! :thumbsup2

Gotta love taking shots with the Lord of the Sith!
This worked out even better as DS and I hit Star Wars Weekends this summer and were able to skip Vader's long lines. ;)

i love all the photopass pics!

Thanks so much!
We loved taking 'em!

Fighting the Empire in another galaxy definitely makes one hungry.
And what better way to have lunch that in the Hollywood Hills with the top down gazing at the stars…
…and some really bad “B” Movie Clips?
I know the rep for this place is not the best, but I’m actually a fan of their burgers.
And the kids LOVE the opportunity to both watch movies while they eat and eat in the car.
So we checked in for our 11:30 ADR at the Sci-Fi Diner.
[BTW, check out the cool UFO crashing into the restaurant's sign]
Disney2011DayTwo123.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo124.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo125.jpg

While we waited, Uncle J took X for a ride – literally…
Disney2011DayTwo126.jpg

When we were seated, we got to enjoy the details of this restaurant.
From the lobby, all you see is the back of the set and it is obvious with all the little details that filming is underway on the other side.
Disney2011DayTwo127.jpg

The walls also enhance the effect when you turn the corner and are literally transported into a California Drive-In Movie Theatre!
You will literally believe you are in the 50’s complete with convertibles, roller-skating waitresses, and a sky full of gleaming stars.
We were sat in a 6-passenger convertible and each adult was paired with a little driver.
You can see how excited X was about eating in the car next to Mom!
Disney2011DayTwo129.jpg

The kids then settled in to watch the classic “B” Movie trailers.
We’ve actually come here so much that the kids even know what trailers are next.
They especially love the Tom & Jerry cartoons and the silly news of the future.
Disney2011DayTwo130.jpg

Appetizers were up first.
J & I split the Double Dip for Two.
X was very excited as he grabbed one off my plate.
“Ooooh. I get to eat chips in a car”
Disney2011DayTwo133.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo132.jpg

J ordered ribs and onion rings
Disney2011DayTwo134.jpg

Mom went with the spinach & artichoke dip followed by the beef & bleu salad which she liked very much.
Disney2011DayTwo135.jpg

I followed my chips up with the angus bacon burger with fries and a Coke.
Like I said – one of my favorite burgers on property.
Disney2011DayTwo136.jpg

The princess ordered a hot dog with apples, fries, and a fruit cup.
Disney2011DayTwo140.jpg

The boys got mac & cheese with varying sides
Disney2011DayTwo137.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo138.jpg

The desserts were yummy but hard to photograph.
Here’s a kid’s brownie sundae
Disney2011DayTwo141.jpg

Followed by Mom’s Apple Cobbler Ice Cream concoction:
Disney2011DayTwo142.jpg

J went with the red velvet cheesecake
Disney2011DayTwo144.jpg

We were happy campers.
Disney2011DayTwo145.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo146.jpg

Then it was picture time!
So I grabbed the camera and headed out.
First, some of the Capell Clan…
Disney2011DayTwo148.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo149.jpg

And then some of those great Disney details around the restaurant:
Disney2011DayTwo151.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo152.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo153.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo154.jpg

All in all, it was a nice, relaxing lunch and a good way for everyone to recharge.
On the way out, we posed for a couple more pictures.
Disney2011DayTwo157.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo156-1.jpg

Then we were off to do something we’ve never done before!
And little X was very excited…
So for those who have been loyal readers, any guesses?

Glad to see an update :)

We really wanted to go to SciFi on our recent trip but couldn't get an adr. Your meal looks really good and it looks like everyone enjoyed the food and theming :goodvibes

That is totally the cutest picture of you and X.

I've heard the Sci-Fi burgers are the absolute best!!!! I just ate and those desserts are very tempting.

Can I tell you that I have never once noticed the flying saucer crashing into the sign. Thanks for pointing that out!

Glad to see an update :)

We really wanted to go to SciFi on our recent trip but couldn't get an adr. Your meal looks really good and it looks like everyone enjoyed the food and theming :goodvibes

Definitely check it out next time.
It's alot of fun!!

That is totally the cutest picture of you and X.

I've heard the Sci-Fi burgers are the absolute best!!!! I just ate and those desserts are very tempting.

Can I tell you that I have never once noticed the flying saucer crashing into the sign. Thanks for pointing that out!

Believe it or not, I never noticed the UFO either.
It was only when I was writing that segment that I noticed it in the picture.
I can't believe I never saw it before! :goodvibes

And I do really like the burgers there - give 'em a shot next time!

While we waited, Uncle J took X for a ride – literally…
Disney2011DayTwo126.jpg

It's gonna be a sad day when X is finally too heavy for me to lift up and twirl around - the last of the 3 I can still do that with. (I might be able to do so with DS, if he were still willing to be subjected to that, but he never asks for that.)

J ordered ribs and onion rings
Disney2011DayTwo134.jpg
Hey, where are the onion rings? Did I scarf them down so fast I didn't get them in the picture?

FWIW, I would recommend NOT getting the ribs. Resist the on-paper temptation, as they weren't terribly good. Go with the burger, even if you're trying as much as possible to avoid such fast food standards.

Followed by Mom’s Apple Cobbler Ice Cream concoction:
Disney2011DayTwo142.jpg

J went with the red velvet cheesecake
Disney2011DayTwo144.jpg
A little "inside baseball" here: the three of us struggled throughout the ENTIRE vacation to figure out how to best take the pictures of the food. :mad: One setting - too dark. Another setting - the food looked blah. (The cobbler above) Yet another setting - the food looked pretty darn good, for the portion that was distinct (the red velvet cheesecake). :cool1: Getting any of the whipped cream of vanilla ice cream parts to not be a total white-out was tough! :confused3

And it'd be one thing if it was futzing around with it at one meal, getting it right, and doing it that way thereafter. We started off with that. Didn't work. Ugh! :eek: :headache:

I never would've thought I'd be one of THOSE people who took pictures of their food before eating it. :cool1: Never say never. :cool2:

I never would've thought I'd be one of THOSE people who took pictures of their food before eating it. :cool1: Never say never. :cool2:

I'll have to keep that in mind for that little project that I want to do at some point in the future, you can be talked into anything, even things you think you'll never do. :laughing:

I've never really wanted to try sci-fi (I don't really like science fiction movies or eating in the car :lmao:) but the burger and beef and bleu salad looked amazing!

I'll have to keep that in mind for that little project that I want to do at some point in the future, you can be talked into anything, even things you think you'll never do. :laughing:

Yeah, we sell J out for odd jobs.
Rate is cheap too! :rotfl:

I've never really wanted to try sci-fi (I don't really like science fiction movies or eating in the car :lmao:) but the burger and beef and bleu salad looked amazing!

Unfortunately I just read that the Sci-Fi menu was updated to remove the beef and bleu salad.
They did add two other burgers to go with my fav - a bacon double cheeseburger and a "picnic burger" which is a burger with a hot dog on it...
Not sure what to think of that but the reviews sound good...

:duck:

:scared1: Oh, no no. :eek: THAT one ain't happenin'. (to paraphrase from :wizard: Oz) Not no way, not no how! :sad2: :faint:

We headed out from lunch and towards the Streets of America.
Around the corner, we had a special picture to take.
You see, our Princess had recently starred in her ballet class’ rendition of “Singin’ in the Rain.”
The girls were given little umbrellas to dance with and I showed our Princess a video of that famous scene in the movie.
So, of course, she had to re-enact her new favorite scene!
Disney2011DayTwo158.jpg

From there, we arrived at our destination – Lights! Motors! Action!
Disney2011DayTwo162.jpg

We had never seen this show and always went to Indy instead.
But with little X along and his fascination with all vehicles, we figured this was the perfect time to try this attraction.
We arrived about 1:15 for a 1:30 show and it was packed.
I quickly parked the stroller while Mom detoured to the bathrooms.
With the place filling up, J and I took the kids and entered in order to secure seats.
We came around the corner into a madhouse of people.
Guess where those Brazilian tour groups were spending their afternoon?

It was insane – swarms of people standing outside the arena and the CM’s kept herding us in.
There was NO WAY we were all going to fit in there.
Well, apparently there was.
Inside, one CM with a LOUD voice was screaming at everyone to slide down and then squashing more and more people into the arena.
We finally reached the bleachers and I was still convinced there would be no room.
But the CM kept yelling and people kept moving and sure enough we just barely got a seat.
Which means…

The phone rang and Mom was calling to tell us that the CM at the entrance would not let her in as the stadium had reached capacity.
She tried to explain that I have little ones to no avail.
She can tell you the story better but I think she was actually happy to get some time to herself.
But that’s her segment.
For everyone us, the show was about to start!
Disney2011DayTwo163.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo164.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo165.jpg

The arena was set up exactly like Disneyland Paris where this attraction originated.
The only difference was the sights in the distance – Characters in Flight anyone?
Disney2011DayTwo166.jpg

The show itself was actually kind of cool – a mixture of stunts and explanations about how stunt driving is done.
Very similar to the pacing of the Indy show.
First we learned about the red “hero” car.
Disney2011DayTwo167a.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo168.jpg

And then we got to see it in action!
Disney2011DayTwo169.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo170.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo171.jpg

From spins and turns and backwards driving, it was now time for high-flying exploits!
Disney2011DayTwo172.jpg

Afterwards the stunt driver spoke to us a bit while the crew set up for the next scene.
Disney2011DayTwo173.jpg

And the next scene was all about Disney’s “original” stunt car – Herbie the Love Bug!
The kids just finished watching all of the Herbie movies so they were excited for this part.
First, we got to see some highlights on the screen.
Then Herbie himself came for a visit!
Disney2011DayTwo175.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo176.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo177.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo178.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo179.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo180.jpg

Disney2011DayTwo181.jpg

After a brief visit, Herbie had to leave.
But he inadvertently headed over to the place where the crew had set up explosives.
Watch out Herbie!!!
Disney2011DayTwo183a.jpg

It was too late!
After hearing a big explosion, Herbie returned – in pieces!!
He was literally split in half and each half drove in a different direction!
Disney2011DayTwo184a.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter