First Week of October

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
How is the weather, crowds, etc. the first week of October? How is Columbus Day weekend? Are the parks packed? I'm thinking of forgoing the free dining in September for cooler, dryer, less crowded October. Which of these weeks are better:

October 3-13
October 10-19

We went the first week in October in 2005 with another couple. I found it a little more crowded than Im used to but easily do-able and probably pretty empty for most people. We did fastpass when possible and used the single rider line during the other times. I felt the weather was kinda cruddy. Every day was hot and humid and overcast with itty bitty peeks of sunshine. It didn't rain all day every day and in hindsight I think I preferred the overcast skies to full on sunshine with the heat & humidity. Most days we got a good soaking storm. And 1 or 2 days were on/off showers and drizzle. I'd still choose this time. Weather changes from year to year so you can't really depend on that weather report I just gave. And again, the crowds were easily workable.

Enjoy!

I was planning on going the end of September through the beginning of October for the free dining, but from what I am reading about the heavier crowds and crappy weather, I'm thinking of forgoing the free dining and go in October instead. I'm now looking at either the 2nd or 3rd week of October. Are the fall decorations still up or have they put up all the Christmas one's?

We are going the first week of Oct. I do think it is starting to get more and more crowded during that time because of the end of free dining and Fall Break for many States.

I do think it is better then the busy summer months though:goodvibes

We went the first week in October in 2005 with another couple. I found it a little more crowded than Im used to but easily do-able and probably pretty empty for most people. We did fastpass when possible and used the single rider line during the other times. I felt the weather was kinda cruddy. Every day was hot and humid and overcast with itty bitty peeks of sunshine. It didn't rain all day every day and in hindsight I think I preferred the overcast skies to full on sunshine with the heat & humidity. Most days we got a good soaking storm. And 1 or 2 days were on/off showers and drizzle. I'd still choose this time. Weather changes from year to year so you can't really depend on that weather report I just gave. And again, the crowds were easily workable.

Enjoy!

I was there the same exact week. The reason for the weather was that 2 separate tropical depressions/waves were parked over the state of Florida that entire week. It was very overcast, but it didn't really downpour on us, it seemed. Just drizzle now and then usually. Good thing for us was that it lowered the crowds a little.

In most cases, assuming no tropical weather systems, you can expect it to still be fairly warm and humid, though not as much as in June through September.

We are going the first week of Oct. I do think it is starting to get more and more crowded during that time because of the end of free dining and Fall Break for many States.

I do think it is better then the busy summer months though:goodvibes

I agree with Fall Break adding to the crowds. It's why we're going then.

But Free Dining will be over by at least a week or two before the first of October this year, so that shouldn't be a factor by then.

We (9 of us) went Oct 1 - 7 last year. We had to go this time of year because of a fall break in our schools (had an 8 yr old with us). It was very hot. The crowds were around, but with fastpasses we were able to do most things that we wanted to do. DH & I just went this Sept 2-8 and the crowds were so much better and of course hot. Next time we are thinking of going in February.

We went in 2004 the first week of November. I was suprised at the crowd level. It was also pretty warm. Definitely not like peak crowds, but one a scale of 1-10, I would rate it about a 7

We've been in October a couple of times. Last year early a few years ago late and this year mid to late. Crowds were generall lightish except at Epcot on the weekends. The F&WF brings out a TON of locals. We were at Epcot on NYE 2006/2007, and thought that the Friday night we were at the F&WF last year was more crowded than NYE. In WS, it was hard to move anywhere there were so many people.

We have never been in Oct but are arriving on the 6th this year. I went to weather.com and looked up the average highs/lows for that time period 80's/60's. I was amazed at how long and persistant I had to be to book this trip at 44 days out. I have, out of curiousity, went to the Disney website and put our dates in just to see what was available, yeah nothing. I am growing a bit concerned about crowds but we ahve been in every summer month so I'm telling myself it can't be that bad......I hope.

Just got an e-mail from my AAA TA. The cost of going 10/10-10/19 (WL standard view) is almost $500 more than going 10/3-10/13 (WL standard view)!! Well, that takes care of that. Now I need to decide if it's worth going 9/26-10/3 (free dining, courtyard view for $200 less) or 10/3-10/13.

Glad to find this thread! I am going Oct. 1-7 and am very concerned about the crowds (not so much the weather--as long as it isn't raining ALL the time!). Seeing that the crowds may be a bit light makes me calmer.

I agree with Fall Break adding to the crowds. It's why we're going then.

But Free Dining will be over by at least a week or two before the first of October this year, so that shouldn't be a factor by then.

Are you sure free dining is over before the first of October this year? Don't the people that check-in in Sept. still get free dining for their entire stay? I'm just wondering because I was told it is over 9/22, but there are people on here w/ free dining the first week of Oct. I hope you're right and it's over before I get there. My trip is 9/29-10/6

We are also going Sept 29 through 0ct 7 and are in Maine. Are you flying out of Portland or Bangor?:yay:

Glad to find this thread! I am going Oct. 1-7 and am very concerned about the crowds (not so much the weather--as long as it isn't raining ALL the time!). Seeing that the crowds may be a bit light makes me calmer.

artoo-just saw your ticker..we had a dineymoon also..congradulation and have fun:banana:

Are you sure free dining is over before the first of October this year? Don't the people that check-in in Sept. still get free dining for their entire stay? I'm just wondering because I was told it is over 9/22, but there are people on here w/ free dining the first week of Oct. I hope you're right and it's over before I get there. My trip is 9/29-10/6

I do think I was wrong, in fact. I believe some people will be "grandfathered" in with the Free Dining until around the beginning of October. The promotion is over, but some people's stays that were booked under the promotion might still be there.

But I bet it won't be the factor then that it was earlier.

The bigger factor in crowds will be Fall Breakers, I think.

We are also going Sept 29 through 0ct 7 and are in Maine. Are you flying out of Portland or Bangor?:yay:

Actually....we're flying out on Manchester NH. Southwest was $44 each way so for less than $450 (total) it's worth the 4 1/2 hour drive.

We are going out of Portland. Airtran was 99 each way, and Portland for us is almost a 2 hour drive, so that was far enough in the car with one teen and one preteen.:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter