• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First week of November or First week of December

bellaprincess98

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone! Havent been on here for a while. I hope all is well with everyone!

Planning a trip for this year and having a hard time deciding which week I'd like to choose.
We are Jersey folks, and we know that the first week of November is considered to be "Jersey Week" and I guess it would be the ideal week to go, but I'm also considering taking my son out of school if we decide on December. He's still young enough that it wouldnt be a big deal to do that.

I've heard many different things. Some people say Jersey week is not bad at all and some say it sucked. Some people say that the first week in Dec is the best and some say its not what it used to be. I also heard about something with cheerleaders? Ahhhhh!

We've been to DW in Aug and September and I would love to experience DW where we dont have to fight crowds or heat. As my kids get older that may not be an option anymore.

So those of you who have been around the block, which one is better?

So those of you who have been around the block, which one is better?

We've been both weeks.

If Halloween, and the Halloween party are important/of interest to you, it's been possible in the past to attend a post-10/31 MNSSHP.

If the Epcot Food and Wine Festival is of interest, it's that November week when you'll usually have a chance to catch the tail-end of it.

If Christmas and/or the Christmas party is of interest, the December week is the way to go. (Although -- not to get too confusing -- but depending on your exact dates, you may be able to catch the first Christmas party in early November.)

We have never found Jersey Week per se, nor the cheerleading/Pop Warner weeks/parade taping, to be an issue. We're rope-drop, have-a-plan, know-how-to-FastPass kind of family, and we appreciate how VASTLY lower the attendance is at these times compared to summer -- even though it is true that the weeks have both gotten busier as years go by.

In our experience, you won't find the parks "empty" at either time, but you'll certainly be able to enjoy relatively low crowds. I'd say it's the extras (the holidays, the F&W fest, etc.) that would swing our choice.

Finally (whew!), you might also want to consider what you and your family do for Thanksgiving and for the December holidays -- which is more hectic, which involves travel (if either) -- so that you pick the travel time that adds the least stress to your holiday time.

Enjoy (both are great times to go!).

We've done both and found crowd levels easy...December was a bit less crowded but also we found less extended hours, characters, etc. to go along with slower time.

I agree...Halloween or Christmas activities is the key decision maker....

November weather seems a bit more reliable...less likely for cold snap...

Week onedecember was a blackout for the free dining last year...in case a consideration.

POPs is busy with cheerleaders in December if that is the resort you were planning on...

Can't comment on November, but our most recent trip was the first week of December last year. I can tell you it was fantastic. MVMCP was awesome, wait times for attractions were 15 minutes tops, weather was great, and the whole time we only encountered two groups of cheerleaders, who were all well-behaved.

We've done both and found crowd levels easy...December was a bit less crowded but also we found less extended hours, characters, etc. to go along with slower time.

I agree...Halloween or Christmas activities is the key decision maker....

November weather seems a bit more reliable...less likely for cold snap...

Week onedecember was a blackout for the free dining last year...in case a consideration.

POPs is busy with cheerleaders in December if that is the resort you were planning on...

POP Warner does take place during this time, but traditionally they have not stayed at the POP Century. Usually the All-Stars and one of the moderates.

We've done the first week in Dec and close to the first week in Nov. And I say first week in Dec. All the Christmas decorations are out. The lights at HS are up. The characters are dressed for the season at certain locations. It's just wonderful.

We found the crowds to be about the same both weeks, so I wouldn't even factor that into things.

But also we aren't drinkers and I'm a picky eater, so the Food and Wine festival wasn't a draw for us, but it might be for you. Which would mean go the first week of Nov and if you still want some Christmas spirit, you might be able to go to one of the first Christmas parties.

How about neither? The absolute best time we've gone so far was the week before Thanksgiving week, so this year November 11-17, the week after Jersey week. We went that week in 2009 and 2010 and it was perfect! :thumbsup2 No lines, great weather, holiday decorations are all up, etc. We could see the crowds rise at the end of the week. The first Sat we walked on Soarin' and Test Track but by the end of the week it was an 80-90 minute wait. At the Magic Kingdom EMH, it was almost empty! DH and DS played at the Frontierland penny arcade forever and no one even walked by us.

Last year we were there the first week of Dec and it wasn't too bad. Good weather most of the week, shorts during the day and hoodies at night. Lots of people there to see the decorations, etc but the ride lines weren't too bad. Def needed to get fast passes early for the biggies. One day fp for Toy Story Mania were sold out by 10am. Only ran into cheerleaders at the airport and at MK EMH. Depending on where you stay, you may not see them at all.

This year, we're going for Jersey week 1. to celebrate my bday and 2. I can't justify pulling my DD out of school for a week. DS is good to go but not the princess. I'm a bit apprehensive about the crowd levels. It's the final weekend of the F&WF, start of the MVMCP, Jersey week and Monday is Verteran's day. :scared1: Luckily, we rented a villa and hope to do WDW the first part of the week and other stuff later in the week.

Good luck with your decision! Have a great time!

we used to go the first week of december. But the word got out that it was a good week and now for the past 2 years it has been much busier. We will try the first week of november this year and hope for better results.

How about neither? The absolute best time we've gone so far was the week before Thanksgiving week, so this year November 11-17, the week after Jersey week. We went that week in 2009 and 2010 and it was perfect! :thumbsup2 No lines, great weather, holiday decorations are all up, etc. We could see the crowds rise at the end of the week. The first Sat we walked on Soarin' and Test Track but by the end of the week it was an 80-90 minute wait. At the Magic Kingdom EMH, it was almost empty! DH and DS played at the Frontierland penny arcade forever and no one even walked by us.

Last year we were there the first week of Dec and it wasn't too bad. Good weather most of the week, shorts during the day and hoodies at night. Lots of people there to see the decorations, etc but the ride lines weren't too bad. Def needed to get fast passes early for the biggies. One day fp for Toy Story Mania were sold out by 10am. Only ran into cheerleaders at the airport and at MK EMH. Depending on where you stay, you may not see them at all.

This year, we're going for Jersey week 1. to celebrate my bday and 2. I can't justify pulling my DD out of school for a week. DS is good to go but not the princess. I'm a bit apprehensive about the crowd levels. It's the final weekend of the F&WF, start of the MVMCP, Jersey week and Monday is Verteran's day. :scared1: Luckily, we rented a villa and hope to do WDW the first part of the week and other stuff later in the week.

I have to agree. The week before Thanksgiving is wonderful. I also went that same week in 2008 and 2010 and just loved it. Crowds were so low that we walked onto almost every ride and attraction. Weather was perfect and most parks were decorated for Christmas. We took advantage the Christmas Party which was offered two times during our visits.

I am also from Jersey and was able to pull my daughter out of school which no problem. She did most of the work before we left and finished it the weekend we came back. No problems. Another alternative is to pack and do on the plane ride down.

Consider that week - this year it would be Nov. 10-17 (Sat/Sat) or you could go down mid week Nov. 13 or 14 and stay through the Sunday (extra long weekend). I know I'm planning this again - hopefully there will be some room or dining discounts.

Oh, oh, oh! Thanks Jazzerfan for reminding me!

Jersey week is often a blackout period for any kind of WDW offers, etc. :sad:

I Would Have To Say 100% November Would Be A Great Time To Visit Disney/Epcot...As Long As It's Before Thanksgiving Week ! :cool2:

Thank you all for your replies, you've given me a lot to think about! I'm actually surprised that the New Jersey folks take their kids out of school the week after Jersey week since that week is already missing days of school. Dont you think thats too many days of school to miss at one time?

I dont know, just a thought, cause now you've actually made me think about it as an option!

We stay off site so the resorts are not a concern for us. I just want LOW CROWDS! And in both cases we would see the christmas decorations which is something I would like to experience.

Of the two I'd say first week of Dec - however this year (as this past year) it'll be amore busy week than in previous years (cheer finals, choir etc). We either go end of nov/begin of Dec or End of Aug/begin of Sept. Our preference is Sept, however I grew up with Christmas at Disney every year - my parents drove from N ALberta Canada to FL every Christmas. This past year while we were there we saw a lot of CM burn-out, rude CMs, rude, guests, large crowds (nothing like over the holidays or Summer, but still MUCH more crowded than typical for the week).

We still managed to do a lot, however it wasn't as magical as it is when there are almost no crowds and only DVC members who don't tend to 'disney it up' as much as the 'regular' tourists do. :thumbsup2 We tend to get a lot of attention with 3 itty bitty princesses (or pirates as was the case last year).

Oh and think about your priorities - disney vs. school - :confused3 seriously take the kids outta school - even if they're in HS they'd be capable enough to either make-up the work or read a text on the flight/drive. School/work lasts forever - childhood happens but once. Let them be children ;)

I agree with this as well! We went Nov 8-17 last year (the Veterans Day holiday was a plus) and had an amazing time. We caught the tail-end of the Epcot F&WF and also had the option of going to one of the first MVMCP nights if we had wanted to. The crowds were decently low and the temps were warm. It was a great week!!

Add to that the changed date for Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon. Nov. 10.

I've been the first week of December and LOVED it! It's close enough to Christmas to give you the Christmas Spirit and not lose it before Christmas time.

Although, I've always wanted to fly down for the final MNSSHP and stay until the first MVMCP. I would love to witness the change between Fall decorations to Christmas decorations.

I just was there this past year for the first week in December and i have to say in all the years i've been its been one of my most favorite times! the weather was PERFECT, low crowds, christmas decorations all up....just perfect! :goodvibes

We went October 27th to November 5th last year and the first week of November wasn't busy at all. We walked on to almost everything.

Although, I've always wanted to fly down for the final MNSSHP and stay until the first MVMCP. I would love to witness the change between Fall decorations to Christmas decorations.

This is what we did in 2011. While seeing both the fall/halloween decorations and the Christmas decorations(and also partaking of the food and wine festival) during on trip was cool, we also found the crowds heavier than the first part of Dec, not a lot, but noticable.

In 2009 and 2010 we went the first full week in Dec. and this is by far our favorite time of year. We stayed at Pop Century so Pop Warner folks were no issue at all. In fact even in the parks you see little sign of then, we actually saw more of them in Chicago airport while we were changing planes then we did at Disney. We will be going back to the first part of December this year.

All in all, you will have fun at either time so just pick the time that works best for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter