First week of Jan vs 3rd Week of Jan

When do you suggest we go or are we crazy to even think of Jan?

• First week of Jan (Dec 30-Jan 7)

• Third week of Jan (Jan 20-28)

• January? ARE YOU CRAZY?! Go when it's warm and you can swim/lounge at the pools. :)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TagsMissy

It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.
We are looking at maybe checking out WDW in Jan -- risk it being cold. Hubby and I have decided we aren't even going to attempt our Sept trip as we would have hoped.

I am leaning toward the first week ((Dec 30th actually.)) We'll have a non park day on the 31st I think LOL But I'd love to see the Candlelight processional if it's on the 30th like the previous years and get an opportunity to see Osborne Lights.

We'd love to go beg Dec but the first two weeks of Dec are often chaotic at work plus there's the factor hubby probably won't have any vac time left by then or the little he has he'll want to keep for actual Christmas.

Are we insane trying to go to WDW the first week of Jan? Or other than 31/1st are the crowds really manageable.

I'd love to hear your stories -- good and bad.

We've gone the 3rd week of January for years (since '96). The past few years I've found myself fighting waves of noisy young persons (Brazilian or cheer squad-types), pushy parents cutting through lines to catch up with the one person in their group who acted as "line slug" then phoned the rest to join at the last minute and other inconveniences. Increasingly I avoid the parks.

I voted "1st week" in your poll in the hopes you might catch the CP (really wonderful!), lights, and holiday spirit residue.

Coincidently I've gone both of those weeks. When I taught private school, I used to go the first week of January. Then, later I tried the third week (don't know why). The first week had some very cold days. One morning, AK was open but many things were delayed because of the freezing weather and some animals weren't out. However, after a couple days into January, the crowds dropped dramatically. The third week of January was much busier. I voted for the first week if you don't mind cold sometimes.

Done both several times. Unfortunately, did first week this year--unfortunate because Florida decided to have the longest string of cold days it can remember (15 days in a row where temp went below freezing). Typical day was 28 in the morning, 36 by 9:30, 40 by noon, 48 by 3, then when sun went down just before 6 temp dropped back to 28. If it is any consolation I have been that first week of Janaury when the daily high all days was between 75 and 83.

News Years is a Sat in 2011. That means you should expect huge Christmas-like crowds from Dec 30 through Jan 3, lighter Tuesday the 4th and much lighter the 5th -- some will leave Monday but the largest mass will leave Tuesday. Christmas decorations usually start coming down the 3d or the 4th (in hotels it happens overnight, in parks it takes a few days). Nevertheless, this year they were actually left up until past mid-January (two different CMs told me it was because it was too cold to take them down). Osborne lights will likely be up through the 3d.

Jan 20 to 28 will have fairly light crowds, although short hours and is usually an ideal time if you want to avoid crowds. Weather can be anything (same as early Jan) from cold to quite warm. Most times for us it has been pleasant (60s to some 70s with an occasional 50s and rain)

3rd week in Jan should be MLK weekend (if im thinking correctly), it's a school holiday in our area

i'd guess the parks attendance might kick up a bit on the weekend.:confused3

MLK Day will be Jan 17, crowded that weekend but nothing like first few days of Jan and most of that crowd disappears quickly as you get into the week and by Jan 20, which would be OPs first day, it will be gone

MLK Day will be Jan 17, crowded that weekend but nothing like first few days of Jan and most of that crowd disappears quickly as you get into the week and by Jan 20, which would be OPs first day, it will be gone

Because of this, I definitely vote for the 3rd week.

I've done both, fewer people is always better for us. Weather will be virtually the same chances at cold. We just did WDW Dec. 27 to Jan.9 and there were plenty of large South American tour groups then, too.

We've been there the past 3 years the week before marathon weekend, and then this year we stayed through marathon weekend. Arrived around the 4th and left by the 10th - depending on the year. This year it was fantastically cold - we never got out of long pants, multiple shirts and even coats and mittens. The previous 2 years it was warm, beautiful, shorts weather and actual time by the pool - comfortably.
Crowds have been minimal for all 3 trips. We love this time of year in the parks - already planning for next year!

3rd week in Jan should be MLK weekend (if im thinking correctly), it's a school holiday in our area

i'd guess the parks attendance might kick up a bit on the weekend.:confused3

It's not bad at all, I've done 3 MLK weekends(kids get a 4 day-er). I was at MK this year on MK day(late flight back, plus we had a car) and it was no problem.

Got the calendar marked for the 7 month mark for MLK weekend 2011!

Weather is always better than here in NW Ohio.

I agree with others as far as weather goes. I've swam in January and I've worn a coat. It's a gamble.

I'm considering the second week in 2011. Is that week about the same as the third?

We like January for the low crowds, and the third week will be lower crowds than the first week, but the first week will likely be better temps.

We are looking at maybe checking out WDW in Jan -- risk it being cold. Hubby and I have decided we aren't even going to attempt our Sept trip as we would have hoped.

I am leaning toward the first week ((Dec 30th actually.)) We'll have a non park day on the 31st I think LOL But I'd love to see the Candlelight processional if it's on the 30th like the previous years and get an opportunity to see Osborne Lights.

We'd love to go beg Dec but the first two weeks of Dec are often chaotic at work plus there's the factor hubby probably won't have any vac time left by then or the little he has he'll want to keep for actual Christmas.

Are we insane trying to go to WDW the first week of Jan? Or other than 31/1st are the crowds really manageable.

I'd love to hear your stories -- good and bad.

That is one of the reasons we joined DVC, we know when we go to Disney it want be our last time. You can check out different times of the year.

We are going in March for 4 days and we only plan on going into the park 1 day during that trip, but we plan on doing things at the DVC Resort and maybe Resort hop to check the other ones out. I know my DW wants to go to the outlet for shopping.

When we take out big family trip in September we plan on going into the park every day.

I guess what I am trying to say is if I was going to Disney during a busy time I would enjoy the sights more then trying to do all of the rides.

As DVC members we have a great deal my next step is getting AP's for the family.

I've never been the 3rd week of January, but have gone the first week twice (first week being after the NY crowds were gone). Both times we had below average temperatures. The negative was that the pools/water rides were off limits for us. However, the crowds were extremely low for us, which was a huge plus, so I would definitely go during that time of year again. This year, we're braving Dec 30 - Jan 5, we're expecting a different crowd situation. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter