First week of December?

Karmel96

Wherever you go...there you are!
We are going the first full week of December :banana: No one in our travel party-2 families of 2 adults and 2 kids between 9 and 13- has ever gone at this time. I was hoping to get some ideas, tips, suggestions, etc., for that week.
I know it's the same week as Pop Warner-how much will this affect the parks? I also know that MVMCP will be going on but as of now I don't think we'll be going (cost is an issue for the other family we are with and I wouldn't feel right about going if they couldn't join us).
We are staying at POR and are not getting park hoppers (I was out-voted on that one :sad2:). We are also not doing any dining add-ons.
I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Thanks!:santa:

You might want to reconsider POR. Usually Pop Warner families stay at ALL Star Sports and POR...There are other moderates that they will not be at, but you might want to call and check. We are often there at the same time as Pop Warner and have never had any problems. Many of the problems I have read about seem to happen at the hotel.

I have heard great things about the first couple weeks in December.
Some pieces of advice I can offer (never having going the first week in December, but have gone the first week in January)

I think that POR is big enough of a resort that it won't be a problem. Are you requesting a specific building? Maybe try that.

Do you have any ADR's planned? Since money is an "issue" I would suggest making a late breakfast ADR (between 10am-11am). That way that meal can fill your family up for most of the day. Restaurants I would suggest, would be Crystal Palace (breakfast buffet with Pooh and friends), Tusker House (breakfast buffet with Donald and friends) or Cape May Cafe (breakfast buffet with Minnie and friends). There are of course other restaurants, and I'm sure other DISers would suggest some!

As for MVMCP, I would suggest going. Here is my advice and I'm sure others will agree. The night of MVMCP, have that day be a "resort" day, or head to Downtown Disney, instead of heading to the parks. That night, head to the Magic Kingdom for MVMCP. So if you bought a 5 day base ticket, you would only need a 4 day base ticket and a MVMCP ticket. I realize that taking one day off of your base ticket, won't equal the amount of a MVMCP ticket, but I've heard that it is worth it. You will get to experience different character meet and greats, a cool parade, awesome fireworks, and much more!

For crowd information, you can search the internet, or if you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can search apps and find Disney apps that post wait times and crowd calenders. My personal favorite is the Touring Plans app, but there are others too!

Make sure to check out the Osborne Family Lights at Hollywood Studios. I saw them in January, and they are SPECTACULAR! Be sure to take your time walking through the dancing lights. It is well worth it!

I hope my advice helps, and I hope you have a GREAT vacation!!

We always go the beginning of Dec and last year during Pop Warner week. We stayed at POP and it not bad. We have done MVMCP twice before and really enjoyed it. The money spent on the tickets is worth it. As PP mentioned you can relax through the day (try to get the tickets for middle of your vacation so you will want a reason to relax) and then head over in the evening. When we were leaving last year because of this I wished that we had them :) Again, as the PP mentioned you should NOT miss the Osborne Spectacle of lights. I love watching them, and of course HWS is my fav park! :thumbsup2 My only other advice (for now unless I think of anything) is to just take in the lights/music and feeling of being there in Dec. Love hearing Christmas music and being at my favorite place in the world!!!!!

Enjoy your trip.

Check out the Christmas decorations at the deluxe resorts. I like to do that on the day I go to the MVMCP, but you could also do the monorail ones and WL on your MK day, the Epcot ones on your Epcot day and AKL on your AK day.

:) Be sure to check your park hours. Often the parks close early. For instance on the night that MK has the MVMCP it will close at 7 p.m., you could take the monorail around to the resorts then back to MK to pick up the bus to your resort. AK usually closes at 5 p.m. and DHS 7-8 p.m. So there could be nights were everyone dumps in to Epcot especially if they are having Evening EMH. I always start out with park hours and then plan special things around them. We sleep late some mornings and we do not have children. We often do MVMCP to be able to stay in the park later.

Always do an evening at AK if they are offering evening EMH--it used to be on Wednesdays but I did not see them offer it last year during our trip the end of Oct.

So if the parks are closing early you could do an evening meal at Rain Forrest or T-Rex, those are great places for the kids. Thre is a movie theater in DTD. I would also board a boat and leave MK for FW, or VWL, then take the boat or bus back to MK for the trip back to your resort.

If you want to be impressed--like the PP stated get to DHS for the Osborne Lights a few minutes before they turn on--usually around 6 I think. Stand at the town square facing up the street. See if you can find the Hidden Mickey's in the lights and the black cat that workers place around that attraction every year. It is completely awe inspiring when they turn on those lights and is one of my top 10 all time fav life experiences :cloud9: (comes close to seeing Luciano Pavorotti in concert live)

Illuminations will have a Christmas type of vibe with all the decorations at Epcot. If that is going to be your park and it is on an evening EMH like I mentioned before with a party scheduled at MK-if you want to eat dinner there--I would get an ADR for sure.

AK--will have the Jingle Jammin Parade at 3:45 which is really cute.
EPCOT-You can often hear or see the Candlelight Processional from the street in front of the American Pavillon and Santa is often there too.

Go to AKL -Kidani and let the kids participate in the Drum Cafe--usually at 7:30 for about 30 minutes then to the fire pit outside for story telling. You cna also see animals with night vision googles--it is free. There is a lot of art work at both Jambo and Kidani to enjoy also. The decorations are great at both WL and AKL and they are not on the monorail.

Wow-great suggestions so far! Thanks so much! Now I need to start writing all this stuff down so I don't forget any of it!

:disrocks:

We did three "Christmas" trips in a row ... 2006, 2007 and 2008. The 2007 and 2008 trips were during the week of Christmas itself. The 2006 trip was during the first week of December because someone in our party had always wanted to be there for the taping of the parade that airs on Christmas morning. :santa: So we did! I know there are plenty who may say otherwise, but we found the first week of December to be just great!! We literally walked straight into lots of MAJOR rides -- sometimes 3x in a row!! Just because we could. Not only at MK, but also the other parks. I even took a picture of one of the ride queues just to show everyone when we got back how few people were in line. We had a blast!!

And like everyone else is saying, definitely take the time to visit other resorts (especially deluxes) and see the decorations and just "experience" them all decked out. :thumbsup2 It's wonderful.

We are going the first full week of December :banana: No one in our travel party-2 families of 2 adults and 2 kids between 9 and 13- has ever gone at this time. I was hoping to get some ideas, tips, suggestions, etc., for that week.
I know it's the same week as Pop Warner-how much will this affect the parks? I also know that MVMCP will be going on but as of now I don't think we'll be going (cost is an issue for the other family we are with and I wouldn't feel right about going if they couldn't join us).
We are staying at POR and are not getting park hoppers (I was out-voted on that one :sad2:). We are also not doing any dining add-ons.
I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Thanks!:santa:

We have gonethe past two christmas the first week in December, 2010 it was cold you needed a jacket, last year it was beautiful so be sure to pack layers. The osborne lights are a must and be sure to be there before the lights come on it is truly a wonderful sight. we visited all the resorts, the decorations were undescribable. we also went to the candlelight procession in epcot and we just sat on the little wall outside the American adventure and could see and hear everything fine. We also went to the Mickey's christmas party and if you can go thats fine but if not you can still have a wonderful vacation.
As someone mentioned the parks close early so you may want to visit the resorts in the evening to see all the decorations.

We are going the first full week of December :banana: No one in our travel party-2 families of 2 adults and 2 kids between 9 and 13- has ever gone at this time. I was hoping to get some ideas, tips, suggestions, etc., for that week.:santa:

We are going that exact same week. We're staying at the Bonnet Creek Resort (condos on Disney property, but not owned by Disney)... the joy of that is we'll have two separate bedrooms and a full kitchen -- not that we want to cook all the time, but will be helpful in keeping costs down some evenings). Glad you started this thread because I had some same questions about Pop Warner AND the fact that MK will be filming the Christmas show then (I guess). Will be interesting to read what others answer. Enjoy your trip planning!!

OP - Thanks for Posting!! DFi and I will be celebrating our anniversary on our first trip to WDW (which will be the first week of December)! For our trip it will be just DFi and I (DS would be too young). We are staying at All Star Sports, but I'm wondering after reading this thread if we should change to Pop Century? Also, what is Pop Warner week? We've read quite a bit on the boards already but I'm really grateful for any words of wisdom to get the most out of our trip!

DH and I are going to WDW the first week in December, and we're staying at Pop! We also have MVMCP tickets for one of the nights that we are there. :)

I have a question regarding the MVMCP, does the MK stay open later so you can enjoy the rides after the parade and whatnot? I have seen some posts say that it closes earlier, say around 7pm, and then I've seen other posts say that it closes at 11pm. We are both nighthawks, and have no children, so staying up late is never an issue for us.

We will be the two dorks in shorts! We're from Canada, and it's a huge treat to not wear 7 layers of clothing plus parkas and hand warmers, haha!:thumbsup2

DH and I are going to WDW the first week in December, and we're staying at Pop! We also have MVMCP tickets for one of the nights that we are there. :)

I have a question regarding the MVMCP, does the MK stay open later so you can enjoy the rides after the parade and whatnot? I have seen some posts say that it closes earlier, say around 7pm, and then I've seen other posts say that it closes at 11pm. We are both nighthawks, and have no children, so staying up late is never an issue for us.

We will be the two dorks in shorts! We're from Canada, and it's a huge treat to not wear 7 layers of clothing plus parkas and hand warmers, haha!:thumbsup2

The park does close at 7pm only for those who do not have tickets for MVMCP. I believe it is open till midnight.

I am from Nova Scotia and it is nice to not have to worry about having to bundle up because of our cold winters. :)

I think you're confusing regular park hours on party nights with the party hours. On nights when the party takes place, the MK closes at 7:00 pm to people who do not have party tickets. (And you can enter the MK as early as 4:00 with just your party ticket, BTW.) The party runs until 12:00, and I would assume that the rides run up until closing.

And just so you know, Florida in December can be cool, even cold. One year I was very glad to be wearing a sweatshirt and jeans to the MVMCP. You really should be prepared for any kind of weather, although I don't think you'll need 7 layers. ;)

You'll have a great time!!! Our last trip was early December. We arrived November 28 and stayed a week. The weather was nice - we reached 80* several days, but then only reached maybe *58-60 others. Definitely plan to wear layers and be prepared for any type weather. MVMCP was nice, but we didn't rest beforehand and by 9pm the kids (18m and 2 weeks shy of 3yrs) were DONE - so it was a waste of money sadly :( The crowds weren't too bad, 15-25m waits on most things and up to 75m during prime afternoon time for headliners. Enjoy - Christmas at WDW is magical!

What is MVMCP? Is this the Christmas parade? How do we get tickets for this?

I am going 1st-2nd week December, and it will be my first time during this period (went in the heat of summer previously) so how will the weather be like?

What is MVMCP? Is this the Christmas parade? How do we get tickets for this?

I am going 1st-2nd week December, and it will be my first time during this period (went in the heat of summer previously) so how will the weather be like?

MVMCP is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It's held on select nights in November and December (any night the MK closes at 7:00) and is a separate ticketed event. The party would be the only way to see the Christmas parade during the time frame you're going to be there; you can either buy tickets online or by phone.

The weather in December can really be all over the map. I've had days where shorts and a T-shirt were fine, and days when I needed a sweatshirt and jeans.

Thanks for the tip! And for explaining that the park is open later for the people who hold tickets to the MVMCP ! I may not be wearing shorts if it's cold, but I will be wearing capris. I am a huge fan of layering clothing, and I am aware that it does get chilly in Florida, hey they get winter just like everyone right :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter