First week of December?

rigsby25

DIS Veteran
I never paid attention because we like to go in May, October, and January. This year my husband suggested we try the first week of December instead of October and January. (one trip instead of two) Please. Can anyone share their experiences with this particular week? We're imagining WDW to be not crowded because folks will have been there for Thanksgiving, and that all the Christmas decorations will be up. That's something to see once and would make a trip worthwhile even if the weather was cold. But how about weather experiences also?

Thank you!

Can anyone share their experiences with this particular week? We're imagining WDW to be not crowded because folks will have been there for Thanksgiving, and that all the Christmas decorations will be up.

I have taken my family several times in December in years past. I have always taken the kids out of school and it worked...the crowds were very light. However, last year we went the 2nd week in December (which is supposed to be one of the lightest times of the year) and it was packed! We stayed until after Christmas, but in my opinion, it was very crowded leading up to Christmas. The overall consensus from talking to others was that more and more people are trying to attend when the crowds are supposed to be light, but this way of thinking is catching on (as evidenced by the amount of people there vs. previous years.)

That's something to see once and would make a trip worthwhile even if the weather was cold. But how about weather experiences also?

Thank you!

Seeing the decorations are worth fighting the crowds and weather. It is an absolute must see, in my opinion. I can not possibly convey in words the beauty of Disney at Christmas! The Osbourne Specticle of Lights is amazing....The decorations at the resorts are fantastic. The fireworks at the Magic Kingdom were unbelievable!

When we were there in December of 2006, the weather was fantastic. High 70 - 80. Rained twice in two weeks. It's chilly at night, but we had a fantastic time. In 2001 and 2002, it was 60 - 70. (Pools are heated, though.) When we went in December 1998, it was the coldest Orlando had been in years and there wasn't a sweatshirt left on the property! It actually snowed....
I definitely care about the weather when planning, but if you are willing to risk it, Christmas at Disney is worth some cold. You won't be disappointed.
Hope this helps.

The first week of December is one of the most popular weeks for DVC members to visit. If you don't already have a reservaiton, make one asap - you can always cancel if you change your mind. Availability for that week is already limited - it's very possible that there are waitlists for some resorts/room types for that week.

The parks will not be particularly crowded except on the weekends - when locals come to see the decoratons and attend all of the holiday activities & events. It is becoming more crowded than it has been in the past - tourism is up and many more are discovering what a great time this is to visit.

This will be the first year since 1998 that I haven't gone at this time (trying Halloween and Food & Wine Festival instead). Weather is variable! Can be nice and warm or nice & COLD! Bring layers and let the forecast just before you leave guide your packing.

But watch out - you may find that you'll love this time so much that you have to come every year! Took me 9 years to trade in the first week of December to go another time!

If I could only go one week per year, it would be the beginning of Dec. It has been one of the highlights of my new retired life style to be able to go at that time. This year we had to move it up to mid-November to accommodate DN's schedule, but I am glad to say that MVMCP and Osborne Lights will already be going. Will have to miss CP for this year. Already have my guests lined up for beginning Dec. 2008!
If you are going, take Carol's advice and book NOW!

Well, I agree with the two previous ladies! Of course, maybe part of that is that we are all from Minnesota, so weather isn't the big issue in might be for some from other parts of the country. Sure, it can be variable and cooler than you might want, but for us....it's warmer than home!! We LOVE early December, and try to go at that time at least everyother year. This year we have to go for Thanksgiving to accommodate school schedules, but after the "kids" leave, DH and I will stick around another week to enjoy WDW at it's finest with low crowds!

We went the beginning of December and loved it.

The only problem is it is VERY hard to get a reservation.

We didn't realize it was so popular for DVC members and called only a few months ahead.

Everything was booked.

So, we ended up using our points for AKL.

The parks were not empty, but we definitely had breathing room.

Several rides had no lines (ie. Finding Nemo, It's a Small World, etc.)

What do you think our chance are if we wait until May 16, and then try to reserve at AKL. (We have 100 points there)?

I went every year around that week from 1998 to 2004. My favorite time of the year with the decorations and the shows. Weather can vary greatly. There were trips were it was around 80 everyday and trips where it never got out of the 60's and some with both ranges. I'm planning to go this year, have a reservation at BWV (made at 11 months).

Its our favorite time of year to go too! We are from Michigan, so the weather in December compares to April/May here. Well, maybe closer to late April, as it is snowing here right now! :rotfl:

We tend to layer when we go to the parks. At night, it gets kind of chilly.

The decorations are wonderful! There are a lot of special things to do at this time of year too!:santa:

I do think its a very hard time to book for DVC members. My neighbor tried to book that same week the beginning of March at his home resort and is still waitlisted. I booked our vacation at the 11 month mark, on a day by day basis.

Good luck! Its a fantastic time of year to go home!:santa: :love:

We also love this time of year, the past two years we have gone the first two weeks in Dec. The crowds are lite, weather is pleasant, (better than Boston) and the decorations are fantastic. I did the day by day reservations last year, and the year before I LUCKED OUT and booked no problem.
This year my DD starts kindergarten so no two week vacation in December for a bit...:scared1: Have Fun planning!

We were there in early Dec this past year and found the crowds to be much worse than in previous years. Weekends were absolutely nuts. Two months out, I couldn't find a room on property for my parents on 8-9 December. We spoke to several DVC people who were having similar experiences with the crowds. I was very surprised. I would recommend checking in on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and staying that week.

BTW we booked in July and all that was available was a 1 bedroom at SSR for 1-10 Dec.

Since we anticipate putting relatives up in May of 08 for our daughter's disney wedding, we are trying to rent points for this trip. I only received one response, and I will need to check availability on Monday. I kind of wanted to book my flights today. Should I chance it? I am learning that DVC fills up, but if worse comes to worse, how about the value resorts?

Since we anticipate putting relatives up in May of 08 for our daughter's disney wedding, we are trying to rent points for this trip. I only received one response, and I will need to check availability on Monday. I kind of wanted to book my flights today. Should I chance it? I am learning that DVC fills up, but if worse comes to worse, how about the value resorts?
If you'd be willing to stay at one of the value or moderate resorts, call and book it now. If your DVC rental plans come through, you can always cancel the cash reservation and get your deposit back (as long as you do it by the deadline, which I think is 5 days prior for room only).

That way you can book your flights now and know you will be going even if DVC isn't in the cards right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter