First WDW trip as a family!

Allenmom48

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!

My family and I are planning our first trip as a family. I've been to Disney several times as a kid with my family. My husband has been before as well. My two older kids have been once previously for my oldest daughter's wish trip 8 1/2 years ago. Our youngest who is 2 now, but will be 3 when we visit, has never been.

We've picked the dates, in September, and we plan on staying at the Caribbean Resort. It actually has a cheaper room rate for us on our dates than the Value Resorts! We've even picked a Dining plan. That's about as far as we have gotten.

This is my first time planning the actual trip. All my previous trips were planned for me and I was along for the ride! I'm curious about everyone else's experiences planning out the what to do when part. My kids will be 12, almost 10 (her birthday is the day we get home from our trip), and 3. so we have a gap in age.

Just looking for some insight from people that have been and can provide some pointers for us.

Thanks so much!

First of all!! I'm excited for you!!!..I'm at work so I'll respond more later. One thing you should do when you check in is get buttons for all of you that say 1st visit and one for your daughter that says Birthday! Magical things happen when you wear them all the time!

Oh, so fun! wdwprepschool.com has a good beginners guide on steps to take in planning a trip. I'd probably start there. You'll find that there will be plenty you all can do together and there will be some that will either be too intense or your youngest will be too small for. I'd research ride height now so you know when you will either have to do a rider swap or one of you goes with the older 2 and the other goes with the youngest for a bit. Depending on how your youngest is, you might want to consider prepping him/her for some of the rides with pictures and ride-through videos so he/she can see where it is dark and what the ride does. Good intros to dark rides are Peter Pan and IASW. I'd also prep your older 2 that they won't be able to go commando and race from ride to ride with a little one in tow and that it'll be a fun and leisurely trip to try and enjoy the magic and not rush. I'd probably jump on making some ADRs where you might want (note it's your DD's bday -- she'll get free cupcakes left and right) and start looking at booking your FP+. Explore the MyDisneyExperience app so you can have everything in one handy place. And be sure you have your stroller! The Creative DISigns board makes personalized stroller tags if you like. And most importantly, have fun!

I know it wasn't for me, but these tips were helpful! We are planning our first family trip in January 2016. Hubby and I have been numerous times on our own and with no kids, planning it with a 3 yr old (4 at the time) is a different beast!

Since you said that you picked a dining plan, now would be the time to make dining reservations. I would think you may be trying to get some of the harder to get character meals, so the sooner the better. Also, talk to the kids, let them "explore" the parks online and decide what they would like to try and start making "must do" lists so that everyone feels like they have a say in the family vacation.

You should probably start looking at detailed information on your resort. That place is huge so you want to have a basic idea. Check the resort pages of these forums for some great info.

Also, I know it is a ways out and might seem crazy, but I know I do this, and have read others do this as well, but start a Disney box. When you are at the store and see an item on sale (think sunscreen, ziplock bags, etc) you pick up one or two items each shopping trip and then it's not hitting the budget all at once.

One word of packing advice for the youngest for certain, and probably the 10 year old also, but pack their clothes as complete outfits (shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, hair accessories) in one zip lock bag. Then during the morning rush, pick a bag and off we go. If the 3 year old is in the independent stage, he (or she) can see thru the bag and pick their outfit. This is also handy for an extra outfit in the park. New outfit comes out, dirty/wet/sticky clothes go in the bag and stay put.

Ziplock bags are also handy for in the park. Paper and electronic items that you don't want to get wet on rides or if you are caught in the rain. Also helps with bag check speed.

So I would look at the crowd calendars and figure out which park you want to goto on each day. I like easywdw crowd calendars but there are a lot of options out there. I would recommend eating in or near the park that you are planned to be at. Personally, I am not a big park hopper now that I have a young child! I would also say don't pin all your hopes on certain restaurants - when I have tried new things I have been pleasantly surprised.

You may want to have your kids look at Birnbaums (sp?) guide to pick out what rides they want to go on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter