First visit to Via Napoli - not impressed at all

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
Let me preface this by saying that we are not fans of WDW table service dining. The last time we had a TS meal on property was a couple of years ago when I managed to get a dinner reservation at BOG. I'm very glad we did that and got to see the inside of the place but the meal was nothing special and definitely not worth the price.

Today, we were strolling around WS and decided to take a look at Via Napoli. I keep hearing how good their pizza is so we checked and were told there was a 10-20 minute wait. We were actually seated in 6 minutes which was great for a walk up meal.

We were going to order the fried vegetable appetizer but the manager, who came over after our server asked if there were any food allergies in our party (my wife has a seafood allergy), told us that the veggies were fried in the same fryer as the calamari, so that was out.

One thing I noticed here which I found annoying was the server upselling us. My wife ordered a glass of wine ($9) and he immediately pointed out an advertisement on the table for a different wine that was much better and "only" a dollar more. While it's true that $10 is only $1 more than $9, it's also an 11% increase.

We ordered a pizza for the 3 of us to share. The server explained how they make the pizzas and that it would take 15-20 minutes and wouldn't we like a salad for the table to share, another upsell.

So my wife did get the more expensive wine and said it was fine.
We also got the house salad just for the 2 of us as DD isn't a salad eater.
And we ordered a large pizza half mushroom, half olive.

The salad was okay but certainly not worth anywhere near what it cost ($14).

Then the pizza came out - in considerably less than the 15-20 minutes he had claimed when pushing the salad.

The dough was clearly freshly made which was nice. It's kind of downhill from there. The olives were whole, not sliced, and barely adhered to the pizza. When you picked up a slice, they all just rolled right off. The mushrooms were good but also easily fell off.
The crust was very soft and very wet especially toward the center. The only way to eat this pizza was to carefully pick up a slice and then fold it in half. It had no crispness to it at all.
It tasted okay, but on a scale of 1-10, I'd struggle to give it more than a 5. It was acceptable. Flippers is far better as is pretty much any offsite pizza place on 192.

This meal would have been acceptable at $35-40. Unfortunately, the bill was just under $75 and that was with an AP discount (which they almost didn't want to give me because they claimed that was only at lunch - we were there at 4pm). At that price, this was completely unacceptable. $75 for mediocre pizza, a simple house salad, one glass of wine and a Coke is a disgrace. This is certainly not a place I would return to. This experience did absolutely nothing to change my opinion of table service meals at WDW.

I'm all for calling bad Disney food out on the carpet, but... the thing about upsells is that you can simply decline. Now, had the waiter just taken it upon himself to bring your wife the other wine & charge you the extra $1, then I think you'd have a legitimate complaint.

The olives, though... who just sticks whole olives on a pizza? :rotfl:

I'm all for calling bad Disney food out on the carpet, but... the thing about upsells is that you can simply decline. Now, had the waiter just taken it upon himself to bring your wife the other wine & charge you the extra $1, then I think you'd have a legitimate complaint.

The olives, though... who just sticks whole olives on a pizza? :rotfl:
I totally agree about declining the upsell. Whether or not we chose to do it was completely on us, not on them. I just didn't appreciate them doing it. I think it puts the guest in a slightly awkward position. If I order wine A, don't try to tell me how much better wine B is.

And yeah, the olive thing just doesn't work. The mushrooms were sliced nice and thin but they still slid right off the pizza when you picked it up. The whole olives didn't have a chance.

We didn't like Via Napoli the last time we ate there either. We also found the pizza soggy & the pasta was so bland.

really a shame about the pizza. it literally sounds like it just needed about 1 more minute in the oven to get the crust cooked through with a bit of crisp.

I took my niece to Via Napoli the first yr it was open. It was fine. Our pizza was tasty. But for me, it was pizza when there were other more interesting food options in Epcot so I haven't felt the need to return. I've had pizza in Sorrento & Naples and while VN is usually good, its never going to be that. I'm guessing that for many WDW guests, pizza is a familiar, comfort food item and when they are tired and/or overwhelmed, its a safe choice. And I completely agree with you, Steve. The prices are crazy for pizza. Even for a theme park. Even for a superior theme park like Epcot. At those prices and given how long it has been open, that pizza should have been the best ever, most spectacular pizza your family has ever had (in North America). Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe bring it up with Disney customer service when you get home. I'm sure you don't want your meal comped but given that you are regular, returning WDW guests, customer service could be helpful in some small way.

I constantly read that people complain about the crust not being "crisp" but wood fired pizza almost never is. The crust is thin and the oven very hot - you want it this way solely because it bakes the crust while keeping it soft/airy inside.

I constantly read that people complain about the crust not being "crisp" but wood fired pizza almost never is. The crust is thin and the oven very hot - you want it this way solely because it bakes the crust while keeping it soft/airy inside.
Pizza crust can be soft without being soggy. There's a difference. This was soggy. It was nearly impossible to pick up a slice without folding it over onto itself first. It was mush.

Pizza crust can be soft without being soggy. There's a difference. This was soggy. It was nearly impossible to pick up a slice without folding it over onto itself first. It was mush.
That isn't what was said in the original post. The complaint was "not crisp" not "soggy."

A thin crust pizza that you don't have to fold to eat would be a cracker. Spent months in Italy eating pizza of all kinds and I don't recall EVER consuming a slice that was somehow self supporting. The only pizza I've ever seen do that is Greek-style pan pizza.

That isn't what was said in the original post. The complaint was "not crisp" not "soggy."

A thin crust pizza that you don't have to fold to eat would be a cracker. Spent months in Italy eating pizza of all kinds and I don't recall EVER consuming a slice that was somehow self supporting. The only pizza I've ever seen do that is Greek-style pan pizza.
not true. All NYC neopolitan pizza can be folded and is self supporting. It is by no means a cracker. I think the relative sogginess of the pizza has more to do with the toppings than anything - if it is heavily topped, especially by things with lots of moisture, it is going to buckle on itself. Plain cheese is going to be the most stable. veggies - particularly mushrooms, are the worst. Sausage is heavy and also will cause buckling if the chunks are on the large side. the complaint was "wet near the center" which is soggy. That could be a combo of mushrooms increasing the mass to heat up in the oven and also letting out their juice. The local neopolitan place here that has really great pizza precooks their fresh mushrooms and they are quite dry when they go on, it is my favorite mushroom pizza ever (I typically avoid them, especially canned). Toppings loading is as much of an art as making crust and assembling the pizza in general.

You do not need pan/greasy greek/nasty thick crust pizza to fold it up and eat it without a mess though.

I am from NYC and the woodfired pizza is a different animal than typical pizza we have there. You can get it anywhere and it can be good if the crust is good and tasty and if it is the right thickness to cook at the right speed and right temperature, but it is not my favorite kind of pizza. I'd pick it over chain pizza or pan pizza but not over a good NYC pie. I would not waste time at disney for it. We have plenty of gourmet pizza options at home if I get the urge (I no longer live in NYC but there are a couple of places that come close in addition to the more specialty wood fired type places. also nasty greek pizza because... new england. Sorry, not a fan ;) ).

Last edited:
We like Via Napoli and go everytime but I think they are cheap with the mozzarella cheese on the pizza.

I took my mom back in April, her pasta was so under cooked, it crunched. the manager did swap it out for her but I couldn't believe they let a $40 plate go out like that. ended up paying $85 for 2 plates...that is nuts!

I have never wanted to try it as I have heard they own Naples at DT Disney in California and that place was horrible.

A thin crust pizza that you don't have to fold to eat would be a cracker.

not true. All NYC neopolitan pizza can be folded and is self supporting. It is by no means a cracker.
Thank you Lisa. I'm from Philadelphia. The pizza here or in Jersey or NYC is very thin but never soggy and has no trouble supporting the toppings, even the moist ones like mushrooms.

Ironically, we drove home from Disney yesterday and today. Last night, we stopped in Rocky Mt., NC and after we checked in we ordered a pizza. I have no idea what type of pizza is typical in that area but what we got was very thin and dry in a good way - not greasy or soggy at all. It was very easy to pick up a slice and have it hold it's form. And yes, it had mushrooms and olives, just like the one at Via Napoli.

I get that some people like their pizza but we just didn't. And certainly not for what they charge for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter