• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First visit to Aulani - the good and bad

Granny - thanks for understanding and for your encouraging comments. Nice to know we aren't the only ones feeling this way.

Mike

Mike...thanks for posting your comments. Lots of good information you have shared. I completely understand your feelings about the resort getting hijacked. Unlike WDW, for us Aulani probably will be a once in a lifetime trip and it would be a shame to run into something like you did. It's good that you are taking the time to let Disney know about your feelings.

We rented a car at the airport for our entire stay knowing that we wanted to explore the island on a few occasions. There is no free shuttle to Aulani from the airport, and we learned on DISboards that taxi fare to/from the airport to/from Aulani is about $100 each way. However, car rental prices were much higher in Hawaii than the continental US, and hefty state taxes get lumped on top of the rental fee.

How much did you pay for your vehicle, we got an Intermediate vehicle and paid $248 tax/fees etc all in for a 10 day rental in April. There are some great deals if you look, we booked through Budget Car Rental.

That really sucks about the areas of the resort being blocked off and the other issues, definitely contact MS, they need to know.

How much did you pay for your vehicle, we got an Intermediate vehicle and paid $248 tax/fees etc all in for a 10 day rental in April. There are some great deals if you look, we booked through Budget Car Rental.

That really sucks about the areas of the resort being blocked off and the other issues, definitely contact MS, they need to know.

We rented a 2 door Jeep Wrangler throught Budget Car Rental for 9 days. The website quoted a price of $300, but it got much closer to $400 after Hawaii taxes were added on. Throw in a GPS, and we were about $480 all said and done. There were probably better deals out there.

Thanks for the moral support about our experience!

Karen - I'm so sorry you had to go through this too. Thanks for validating that we weren't crazy feeling the way we did.

Mike

Dude...we also thought we were being a bit "precious".....so glad others were just as annoyed as we were......

So glad when the kelly circus packed up and left pixiedust:

we are excited we are only 10hrs away for future holidays:thumbsup2

Dude...we also thought we were being a bit "precious".....so glad others were just as annoyed as we were......

So glad when the kelly circus packed up and left pixiedust:

we are excited we are only 10hrs away for future holidays:thumbsup2

Best wishes for an amazing trip next time!

As an owner at Aulani I would be extremely upset to find out Disney was attempting to keep me from using facilities that my fees are paying for. I don't care how much the corporation is paying, it has nothing to do with DVC. I know we have to share due to the hotel, however, we should never be excluded.
I certainly agree with you there, and even though we are not owners at Aulani, we ARE using our DVC points to stay there, so the result is actually the same. We ARE paying dues, just not at that resort. However, if we are using our points paid for by dues at ANY DVC resort, it's still applicable.

We are traveling back to Hawaii for the 5th time next February, and a week at Aulani is hoped for. I wont be able to make the reservation until early July, but you better believe I'm going to call MS before we book and ask that question!

Our trip will include our 2 adult offspring who were only in Hawaii once when they were small children. This time we are taking them along to celebrate our 45 anniversary. We are thinking we might actually stay a couple of nights on Waikiki just to use those days for taking in the attractions Oahu has to offer. Then when we get to Aulani, we can just enjoy the resort and stay put. The following week we have a condo rented in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. That is actually our favorite island, and our DS wanted to make sure he could take the helicopter over the volcanoes. Our DD will be happy to sit that one out, but the rest of us are really looking forward to that adventure.

I would really be upset if that happened to our family. I also get upset when they close a park at WDW for a private party.

I would contact the DVC Satisfaction and share your negative experience. Maybe they might refund some of your points?

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

:earsboy: Bill

Great idea. We will be there (Aulani) in a month and I will keep this in mind (being as objective as I can) if I notice there is "favoritism" going on, I too, will write to the satisfaction team. The more of us (DVC members) that point out an experience like this... the better. :scratchin

We are traveling back to Hawaii for the 5th time next February, and a week at Aulani is hoped for. I wont be able to make the reservation until early July, but you better believe I'm going to call MS before we book and ask that question!

Our trip will include our 2 adult offspring who were only in Hawaii once when they were small children. This time we are taking them along to celebrate our 45 anniversary. We are thinking we might actually stay a couple of nights on Waikiki just to use those days for taking in the attractions Oahu has to offer. Then when we get to Aulani, we can just enjoy the resort and stay put. The following week we have a condo rented in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. That is actually our favorite island, and our DS wanted to make sure he could take the helicopter over the volcanoes. Our DD will be happy to sit that one out, but the rest of us are really looking forward to that adventure.

Diane - wishing you and your family an amazing vacation, and a very Happy Anniversary to your and your husband. Enjoy yourselves!

Great idea. We will be there (Aulani) in a month and I will keep this in mind (being as objective as I can) if I notice there is "favoritism" going on, I too, will write to the satisfaction team. The more of us (DVC members) that point out an experience like this... the better. :scratchin

Our DVC Guide was actually the first to suggest that we write Member Satisfaction, and she also said that the more members who express a similar concern, the more seriously they will take it.

As an owner at Aulani I would be extremely upset to find out Disney was attempting to keep me from using facilities that my fees are paying for. I don't care how much the corporation is paying, it has nothing to do with DVC. I know we have to share due to the hotel, however, we should never be excluded.

This is exactly how we feel about "Top of the World" @ BLT. We own there as well as other resorts. Let's say, while we are at SSR we feel like going over to BLT for a drink in the lounge we can't use it because we are not staying there. But, every month our fees are paid !!:confused3

we are here for two weeks over memorial weekend. wonderful time at the resort and on the island. have nothing to raise aa am issue

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

This is exactly how we feel about "Top of the World" @ BLT. We own there as well as other resorts. Let's say, while we are at SSR we feel like going over to BLT for a drink in the lounge we can't use it because we are not staying there. But, every month our fees are paid !!:confused3

OT.
I have to admit, we were less than impressed by TOTW.....very quiet, no vibe at all when we were there...a tad awkward as the staff had nothing to do but hover as you had a quiet drink..I say let them open the bar to all DVC members regardless of where you are staying..would make it more "Alive".

Back to letting member services know we weren't happy with the Kelly show in Feb, who do we contact.....and what do we say to get their attention?

Great point Vicky! We own at BLT as well and would love to be able to enjoy the Top of the World Lounge no matter where we're staying. But if that keeps it "exclusive", I guess that's a price we're willing to pay.

Have a great time and enjoy!

we are here for two weeks over memorial weekend. wonderful time at the resort and on the island. have nothing to raise aa am issue

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

From Disneynutz...
I would really be upset if that happened to our family. I also get upset when they close a park at WDW for a private party.

I would contact the DVC Satisfaction and share your negative experience. Maybe they might refund some of your points?

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

:earsboy: Bill

OT.
I have to admit, we were less than impressed by TOTW.....very quiet, no vibe at all when we were there...a tad awkward as the staff had nothing to do but hover as you had a quiet drink..I say let them open the bar to all DVC members regardless of where you are staying..would make it more "Alive".

Back to letting member services know we weren't happy with the Kelly show in Feb, who do we contact.....and what do we say to get their attention?

Great point Vicky! We own at BLT as well and would love to be able to enjoy the Top of the World Lounge no matter where we're staying. But if that keeps it "exclusive", I guess that's a price we're willing to pay.

But, don't you think it should be exclusive to BLT owners no matter where they are staying? I agree it's always empty. We definately want to support it as well as enjoy it.

PS see you Saturday at 10:00

But, don't you think it should be exclusive to BLT owners no matter where they are staying? I agree it's always empty. We definately want to support it as well as enjoy it.

PS see you Saturday at 10:00

Good point Vicky! See you on Saturday too!

Mike - We are a family with young kids but we are going to travel to HI without them given the price. (anniversary trip) I want to stay at Aulani but my husband is worried we will feel out of place without kids with us and thinks we should stay elsewhere. Did you feel out of place for traveling there without kids? Is it really just a family hotel?

Thanks,
Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter