• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First visit to Aulani - the good and bad

MikeNY

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
First visit to Aulani - the good and bad

Hi all! I don't post very often, but after just getting back from our first trip to Hawaii and Aulani for 9 nights, I wanted to share some of our observations, both the good and bad, with everyone. Let me just start by saying that my wife and I are both huge DVC fans, and have been owners for the last six years.

The good:
The Aulani resort is absolutely gorgeous, and far exceeded every expectation that my wife and I had prior to our visit. Our ocean view 1 bedroom villa on the 9th floor was immaculate and well appointed, and had an incredible view of the resort's valley and the ocean beyond. Although the restaurants were a bit pricey, every meal we enjoyed was outstanding. The spa and its private garden were amazing, and I would definitely recommend trying it at least once, if not more! All of the Aulani cast members were welcoming, friendly, helpful, and embodied everything we have come to expect out of DVC. Not having children, we wished that there was an adult quiet area with a pool and hot tub, but that certainly doesn't apply to the majority of guests. We did find a quieter pool tucked into one corner of the resort.

The bad:
On the day we arrived, we attempted to reserve a pool cabana and were told that they were all reserved for our entire visit by a corporation having an event there. Over the first 4 days, we watched all of the cabanas remain empty, except for the sign saying, reserved for ---- ----------- corporation (I'll withhold the name). On the 5th day, we noticed considerably more activity around the resort and learned that this company booked the entire Marriott resort next door, and a large portion of the Aulani rooms for their event - estimated to be at least 700 people had arrived. The cabanas were now occupied, and we encountered some rude and drunk members of this group. One of them insisted on showing the entire quieter pool area his impression of a salmon swimming upstream in the pool. In the days that followed, various areas of Aulani were closed to other resort guests in favor of the corporate event. The most invasive was closure of half of the beach area to allow for set up, performance, and take down of a huge stage for a concert the company paid for by Gavin DeGraw and Lifehouse one evening. At least that was something we could listen to from our balcony, along with all of the Ko Olina area.

We met with the Aulani Concierge and expressed our dissatisfaction, even stating that we would have changed our visit to another week if we knew in advance that this event was going on. The Concierge was very kind and apologetic, but there was nothing that could be done. The company had dropped millions of dollars for their event, and we were but one DVC family. I'm going to write to DVC Member Satisfaction as well, hoping they'll consider alerting guests in the future if something like this is going to happen. We know corporate events go on at WDW all the time, but at least there is space there to isolate them.

Summary:
In the end, although we experienced this disappointment, we will definitely return to Aulani in 2-3 years. The resort is wonderful, and everyone should experience it at least once. I'm happy to answer any questions that I didn't cover here.

Thanks for listening!
Mike

We will be going in January/February depending on what is available at the seven month window. We have four kids, all adults now, so we will be going alone and I have a few questions in regard to your stay. Did you rent a car or use a cab to journey away from the resort. Did you take a shuttle in from the airport or did you use a cab? Did you eat most of your meals at the resort? In your view, would it be easy to rent a car at the resort for a day or two at a time to go to Target to pick up groceries and go to church on Sunday? I know I will have many other questions as the time gets nearer to making all those other reservations. Thanks

We rented a car at the airport for our entire stay knowing that we wanted to explore the island on a few occasions. There is no free shuttle to Aulani from the airport, and we learned on DISboards that taxi fare to/from the airport to/from Aulani is about $100 each way. However, car rental prices were much higher in Hawaii than the continental US, and hefty state taxes get lumped on top of the rental fee.

Also to be aware of, the self parking garage at Aulani is free to DVC members, but otherwise costs $35 dollars a night (the same price as the valet parking service).

In the future, we will most likely rent a car for the entire stay again. However, based upon what you described, you might find it cheaper to use a shuttle or taxi to/from the airport, and rent a car at Aulani by the day for your ventures off property. Target is a quick 10 minute drive away.

We did eat most of our meals at the resort, with the exception of most breakfasts which we ate in our villa. To give you an idea, dinner for two at Ama Ama with a bottle of wine and gratuity was near $200.

Hope that helps!
Mike

We will be going in January/February depending on what is available at the seven month window. We have four kids, all adults now, so we will be going alone and I have a few questions in regard to your stay. Did you rent a car or use a cab to journey away from the resort. Did you take a shuttle in from the airport or did you use a cab? Did you eat most of your meals at the resort? In your view, would it be easy to rent a car at the resort for a day or two at a time to go to Target to pick up groceries and go to church on Sunday? I know I will have many other questions as the time gets nearer to making all those other reservations. Thanks

Glad we're not the only ones too!

Hi Mike. Ama Ama was it worth the tab? Did you stay at Aulani for lunch-I've read some people do Ana Ana for lunch instead of dinner because of the price, would you suggest this? Since it's our 40th anniversary, and just the 2 of us:love::banana: we are going "almost" all out. I've booked a cabana and will be booking a spa day-any thoughts on which one to pick? I quess you left from JFK did you long term park? Thanks Mike.

Hi Vicki and Chuck! Congratulations on celebrating your 40th! Nice to meet some other Long Island DVC'ers!

If you want to enjoy one or two very romantic dinners with an amazing view of the sunset over the beach, then Ama Ama is the way to go. Definitely try it once and ask for an oceanfront table when you make your reservation. Make friends with Elle at the Ama Ama check-in desk and she'll take good care of you. Our waiter Hoku was also top notch. That's not a bad idea to eat lunch at Ama Ama to save a little money and then have a lighter dinner on the other days.

There is also Makahiki buffet restaurant for dinner, which had a nice selection and was about $45 per person, if you want to mix it up a bit.

The cabanas look great - you should definitely enjoy it!

As for a spa treatment, I went with the Lomi Lomi massage and it was fantastic. If you're a DVC member, they upgrade it to include hot stones and the lomi stick to massage your feet. Definitely make sure you arrive at the spa an hour before your appointment so you can enjoy the outdoor spa garden.

We did leave from JFK but had a friend drive us and pick us up again. I believe long term parking costs about $200-$250 for the week.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions!
Mike

Hi Mike. Ama Ama was it worth the tab? Did you stay at Aulani for lunch-I've read some people do Ana Ana for lunch instead of dinner because of the price, would you suggest this? Since it's our 40th anniversary, and just the 2 of us:love::banana: we are going "almost" all out. I've booked a cabana and will be booking a spa day-any thoughts on which one to pick? I quess you left from JFK did you long term park? Thanks Mike.

As an owner at Aulani I would be extremely upset to find out Disney was attempting to keep me from using facilities that my fees are paying for. I don't care how much the corporation is paying, it has nothing to do with DVC. I know we have to share due to the hotel, however, we should never be excluded.

I couldn't agree with you more! Given that we don't own at Aulani, I couldn't really press that too hard, but I felt the same way as a DVC owner in general.

As an owner at Aulani I would be extremely upset to find out Disney was attempting to keep me from using facilities that my fees are paying for. I don't care how much the corporation is paying, it has nothing to do with DVC. I know we have to share due to the hotel, however, we should never be excluded.

I am really surprised none of you have experienced this at Disney resorts. I think we have at some time over the 30 years we have been going, experienced a corporate event at every Disney deluxe resort and DVC except for SSR and OKW. It seems to happen more often with the DVC resorts attached to convention resorts.

Not saying it was something we enjoyed, just that this is nothing new for Disney and DVC.

Hi Sammie - we have seen many, many corporate events during our stays at WDW, but never experienced that it impacted our ability to enjoy a part of the resort. That was the new experience for us this time at Aulani.

I am really surprised none of you have experienced this at Disney resorts. I think we have at some time over the 30 years we have been going, experienced a corporate event at every Disney deluxe resort and DVC except for SSR and OKW. It seems to happen more often with the DVC resorts attached to convention resorts.

Not saying it was something we enjoyed, just that this is nothing new for Disney and DVC.

The bad...

That's exactly how I felt being there during 'Live With Kelly', even though we knew about it in advance, we couldn't really get a different week off from work at that point.

We rented a car at the airport for our entire stay knowing that we wanted to explore the island on a few occasions. There is no free shuttle to Aulani from the airport, and we learned on DISboards that taxi fare to/from the airport to/from Aulani is about $100 each way. However, car rental prices were much higher in Hawaii than the continental US, and hefty state taxes get lumped on top of the rental fee.

Thank you for this useful information. I am sending my daughter and her friend to Aulani for a graduation present so really trying to get as much info as possible. Because of my daughter's age, renting a car wasn't an option (but I agree with you that car rental is the best option fro DVC'ers). For those of you that don't want to rent a car, I can offer this info. After doing some online research, I found Charley's Taxi service offers a flat rate of $55 for transportation between the airport and Aulani with no stops. I think you can have up to 4 in the taxi. If you want to stop at a store on the way to Aulani, however, you will be charged the standard taxi rates.

Mike...thanks for posting your comments. Lots of good information you have shared. I completely understand your feelings about the resort getting hijacked. Unlike WDW, for us Aulani probably will be a once in a lifetime trip and it would be a shame to run into something like you did. It's good that you are taking the time to let Disney know about your feelings.

The bad...

That's exactly how I felt being there during 'Live With Kelly', even though we knew about it in advance, we couldn't really get a different week off from work at that point.

we too had to experience "live with Kelly" in Feb '12.....
the quiet pool was blocked off one morning,
the cabanas booked out,
the long lines of people waiting for the show standing only 10 feet from my pool chair,with their kids climbing all over the chairs, in the pool etc.. so no privacy, felt like being an exhibit in a zoo.
Audience from the show then hanging around using the facilities
The noise from the band practising the same tune over and over and over again.
The loud speakers while trying to relax by the pool
The lines for the toilets
The crowds of drunks in the bar that were attached to the show at night.

It was not a great experience, apart from that we had an awesome time, but next time we'll check before booking to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Bill - thanks for your reply. We are definitely getting in touch with DVC Satisfaction. Even if they can't do anything for us, we're hoping they'll be more sensitive to DVC'ers going there in the future!

Mike

I would really be upset if that happened to our family. I also get upset when they close a park at WDW for a private party.

I would contact the DVC Satisfaction and share your negative experience. Maybe they might refund some of your points?

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

:earsboy: Bill

Karen - I'm so sorry you had to go through this too. Thanks for validating that we weren't crazy feeling the way we did.

Mike

we too had to experience "live with Kelly" in Feb '12.....
the quiet pool was blocked off one morning,
the cabanas booked out,
the long lines of people waiting for the show standing only 10 feet from my pool chair,with their kids climbing all over the chairs, in the pool etc.. so no privacy, felt like being an exhibit in a zoo.
Audience from the show then hanging around using the facilities
The noise from the band practising the same tune over and over and over again.
The loud speakers while trying to relax by the pool
The lines for the toilets
The crowds of drunks in the bar that were attached to the show at night.

It was not a great experience, apart from that we had an awesome time, but next time we'll check before booking to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Sorry you had to live through a bad experience too!

Mike

The bad...

Raft - What a great grad present for your daughter - she's a lucky girl! Hope she and her friend have a wonderful time. Sounds like you've set everything up perfectly for them.

Mike

Thank you for this useful information. I am sending my daughter and her friend to Aulani for a graduation present so really trying to get as much info as possible. Because of my daughter's age, renting a car wasn't an option (but I agree with you that car rental is the best option fro DVC'ers). For those of you that don't want to rent a car, I can offer this info. After doing some online research, I found Charley's Taxi service offers a flat rate of $55 for transportation between the airport and Aulani with no stops. I think you can have up to 4 in the taxi. If you want to stop at a store on the way to Aulani, however, you will be charged the standard taxi rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter