First Vacation at a hotel - Tips?

I grew up camping but my husband's family always used hotels/motels

Just the opposite here - I always camped and DW always hoteled it. We started in a tent... that lasted exactly one trip through New England. Then we bought a pop-up camper, which lasted exactly one season. She then admitted that she was not "high maintenance" but must be at least "medium maintenance" so we bought a hard-side camper which she tolerates. :)

She is VERY excited that this will be our first trip in over 17 years of marriage that will involve no cooking or dirty dishes! :)

Dunno, but when I got out of college I got a job with a consulting firm that required a lot of travel. I had never really stayed in a hotel before that. When they asked if I wanted turn down service, I thought they were going to tuck me into bed.

We always take a closet organizer (2 actually) since drawer space is very limited. They fold up real flat.
shopping

Organization is your friend with little ones. Rooms can tend to get way messy if you don't put things away. I keep a hanging toiletry bag packed at all times since we travel a lot so all we have to do is check it to make sure everything is there and throw it in our luggage. We hang it on the back of the bathroom door (or in a Disney Moderate resort on the hanging rack by the sinks) and never unpack it. The toothpaste goes back in after use, the shampoo or any other things in go back after use that way it's not cluttering up the counters in the bathroom. I like to unpack and put things in the drawers and hang up things. That way dirty clothes get folded up and put into the suitcase and no clutter. Bonus, when we get home, if there were any clean clothes not used they are on top and easy to identify and put back up, dirty clothes are easy to throw in the laundry room. Any purchases made in the park can be sent back to your resort as long as you aren't leaving the next day. Great service since it saves you having to carry around packages all day. They go to the gift shop and can be picked up the next day after 3. I don't worry about the whole checking for bed bugs, wiping things down, spraying crap. Let's face it, kids are going to probably pick up more germs in school. I don't tip housekeeping. I always pick up my stuff before I leave the room and since I have the hanging bag in the bathroom there really isn't a lot of mess in there either. I use the shampoo, etc. until it's done so they don't normally have to replace except maybe once in a trip. We hang our towels over the shower or over the towel rack after use and re-use them at least two days in a row, I don't change my towels every day at home why do I need them changed every day on vacation? Most times I actually leave the DND on the door every other day since I don't really need them in there every day. I do tip bell services if I use them, I rarely do since I drive down and have rolling luggage so just take it to my room myself. Like others, I always have the hooking lock on the door locked if I'm in the room that way even if they have a key they can't get in. I put my car keys, extra cash, GPS from my car and kindle or small laptop in the safe. I've never had anything taken at Disney and have left the laptop in a drawer or the kindle on a charger with no problems.

Hello all,

Thought it might seem crazy to hear, at 42 years old, I will be staying in a hotel for the first time in my life on vacation. I have stayed for a night here or there over the years, but never for a full vacation, and never at WDW. Our family of four will be at POFQ 1.18-1.24.

I am looking for any tips on hotel etiquette, dos and don'ts, and other tips that experienced "hotelers" would be willing to pass along.

For example, in our own camper we don't have mousekeeping, so reading a thread the other day about tipping them was something I wouldn't have thought of before. I can just imagine them thinking I was cheap, when in actuality I just wouldn't have known to do it.

That made me worry about things like: I know there are small room safes, but do you lock everything else (laptop, extra cash, etc.) in your suitcase each day before you head out or are the room safes very secure? Are there any common signals of how to get more of something you need when mousekeeping comes? Anything considered bad form other than the obvious I might not be aware of? We want to be good guests!

What else don't I know about staying in a hotel in general, or more specific things I should know about our Disney stay?

Thanks very much for any help.

I tip housekeeping about $3-$4/day (and I do it daily, because it's not always the same person every day). I generally have a bunch of envelopes and some tape in my bag, and I put the cash in the envelope and tape it to the bathroom mirror with the words "For housekeeping, thank you!" on it so that there is no question that it is their tip.

If we need something extra (more pillows, usually, in our case), I either call or go to the front desk to ask for them, or sometimes I'll just write on the envelope "please leave extra towels" or whatever. When you are at Disney, calling the front desk doesn't usually work, the calls go to a call center, not the front desk, so asking the concierge at the front desk usually works well.

The safe in our room at Pop was big enough to hold my husband's laptop, my tablet, my sons Ninentdo DS and a small wallet. Take the key with you, dont leave it in the room.

The safe in our room at Pop was big enough to hold my husband's laptop, my tablet, my sons Ninentdo DS and a small wallet. Take the key with you, dont leave it in the room.

Good to hear it held that much, and excellent advice. Thank you.

We also have specific places where things go. We designate a drawer for each kid and all their "things" must go in the drawer when they are done with it. If everyone just leaves their stuff around, the room becomes a nightmare really quickly.

Yes...it does become a nightmare quickly. I was the youngest in my family so I don't really remember the hotel ever being a mess. Our last trip (to see my family) we had 3 kids (4, 3, 1) and it took all of 10 minutes for the hotel to look like a junkyard! And they didn't even bring that much stuff. I think they were just cooped up in the van for too long. As others have said, organization is key!

Housekeeping can use a master key for the door lock but only someone breaking down the door can undo with "deadbolt" lock.

Not trying to cause any fear, but housekeeping also has a tool that opens the "deadbolt." I used to work in a hotel and we had those. Every one in a while you have to use one for a guest who sneaks out the window instead of paying. It's rare, but it happens. That's why most places make you pay ahead of time.

Good advice to the OP. I didn't see this mentioned yet - if you have a problem, contact the front desk while you're still at the resort. You probably won't need to but don't hesitate if you do.

We travel a lot and spend 10-20 nights a year in hotels.

Keep surfaces clear, put anything thing you don't want "messed" with in the drawer. I find large ziplocs to be good for sweeping up all our bits and pieces. Keep in mind that a piece of paper you are keeping as a sovenier may look like trash to housekeeping. On the opposite end, I have been puzzled why they dont throw out a water bottle with one sip left in the bottom, go figure.

I find hotel waste baskets maddeningly small. I take plastic grocery bags for the overflow.

Ask for whatever you need. Leave a note on a pillow or call the front desk. I also will ask the housekeepers if I see them in the hall.

Personally, I don't reuse the towels. I am green enough at home. Fresh towels and sheets are part of the pleasure of staying in a hotel. I put the used towels on a pile by the shower.

I always used common sense when it comes to valuables. I only ever had one thing go missing (a belt). I beiieve in general, bad apples don't last long in housekeeping, it wouldn't take management long to react to complaints of theft and id the offenders. Also, housekeeping needs to move so fast, they don't have time to pick thru everyone's belongings. I keep anything that might look interesting in my suitcase or in the safe.

Fresh towels and sheets are part of the pleasure of staying in a hotel.

This is a great point. We are so conservative with our resources at home. We are not used to treating ourselves that much. Thanks for permission to splurge. :)

Just as a Disney specific FYI~ if you call the front desk from your room you aren't actually talking to a human at YOUR front desk. It's a call center. So if there are any specific issues it is best to go in person to the CM's at your hotel.

Also be aware of slamming the door. That drives me nuts. My poor DD has learned over time to shut the door quietly. I also taught her to use her inside voice at all time in corridors and she is to walk not run.
I bring a small dollar store basket as a catch all for near the tv. Magic Bands and change go in it every single time we enter the room.
I cannot even count the number of times I've been in a hotel and I've never had anything stolen or gone missing. I use the safe for cash and other small stuff. If I had my laptop I would bury it in a suitcase. My thought is if someone is going to take something it will be a crime of opportunity not cause they were in my room for an hour going through my dirty laundry. So I don't leave it out. That said I've left my iPad plugged in and out and didn't even think about it (probably cause I get so tired at Disney).
Like PP's said use the locks on the doors and teach your kids to look before they open the door. Beware of anything unsolicited and NO ONE from Disney calls and asks for your credit card info. There have been scammers who try and get your info that way.
Have a wonderful trip! We love POFQ

Wow...first vacation at a hotel--that's some distinction. I think maybe I've stayed at 12 different hotels this year alone and that's probably the norm and I'm pretty old--so you can imagine how many hotels I've been to in my lifetime. And, no, I don't travel that much for work--maybe 2 hotels a year...most of the hotels are regular or mini (long weekend) vacations. I would stress the following two points that others have already made and to me are the most important:

1. Housekeeping is there to refresh towels, disinfect bathroom, vacuum, make the beds--they are not there to pick up your clothes and move them off the beds or reorganize your mess of toiletries in the bathroom--just be mindful of this. I always leave a tip--depending on the hotel, $2 to $5 a day.

2. Noise--you are not at home and certainly not alone in this hotel--again, just be mindful of this.

I hope you have a great experience. What am I saying--you're going to Disneyworld!!!

Other hints - find out where the ice machine is and use it when you need it. Take a binder clip for the drapes so you can shut out the morning light or evening fake lights if you need/want to since most hotel drapes close in the middle. Make sure you have a Do Not Disturb sign and use it when you need/want it. When inside your room, there will be a door lock and a "deadbolt" lock (the kind you tip over above the door lock). Use both at night. Housekeeping can use a master key for the door lock but only someone breaking down the door can undo with "deadbolt" lock.

Excellent advice! Especially the binder clips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter