First trip with young ones and first time in Cabins.....Help Please

Acirish11

Earning My Ears
Hi all....I have been looking at these forums for quite some time and finally jumped on board. My DW and I are taking 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter to stay at Cabins on 1-31-10. I have a few questions.

We rented a golf cart from Kenny. Is there somewhere to plug in the cart outside to re-charge it?

If there are plugs outside, have you ever seen anyone string lights on the deck, etc?

What is the best grocery store(s) to shop for groceries near Disney? We plan to eat most breakfasts and lunches at the Fort. Both kids still nap in the afternoon.

Any advice with the cabins or with young kids at Disney would be welcomed. Thanks.

Welcome to the boards, :thumbsup2
Ya'll are gonna hava great time at the Fort.
Yes there are plugs outside for recharging the cart.
And yes, lots of people sttring lights on the deck and there are plugs.
We ALWAYS sting lights when we camp the Fort.
There is a Publix (our favorite) and a WalMart,close by,,they are located on HWY 535, Publix is closer than the WalMart.

Hey frank you forgot the most important thing!!!!! BRING THE FISHIN ROD!!! Who need the stores or market when you can fish! :rotfl2: And just for the record Frank is right we like Publix the best also Have a ball K.

If you don't have a car, you can also have groceries delivered to the cabin. Two services are Gardengrocer.com and wegoshop.com. Both reviewed elsewhere on the Dis. We used garden grocer for our Feb trip and it worked fine. But for our last trip in Dec, we actually packed in most of our stuff (pasta, etc) and just bought perishables at the Fort Trading Posts. They are overpriced, but for simple staples like milk, eggs, etc, it's not that bad.

You'll love the cabins! Our trip in March will be our fourth cabin trip. And yes, people do string the lights. I bring my rope lights every trip - just shove them into one of our bags. :thumbsup2 It makes me so happy every evening to come home to our cabin, all lit up, every night.

disney179.jpg

Have a great time, and ask any more questions if you have any!

Leslie

Welcome to the Camping Boards! We recently returned from our annual 2 weeks Decemeber trip to the Fort with our nearly 2 1/2 yrs old and now 8 month old daughters. My parents went with us and they stayed in a cabin while we stayed in our 5th wheel camper.

The cabins will be great for the kids. We still sleep ours in pak-n-plays and having the separate rooms is handy. We made the most of the mornings and then headed back around 1 or so for naps. The girls we up and ready by 4 and we could go back to the parks or whereever for a few hours in the evenings. Forget about all day with the little ones.

At FW we enjoyed going to Tri-Circle-D Ranch to look around with the girls. They have great play areas as well. And if it is warm enough the new pool area near the meadows will have a great place for both kids. The campfire sing-a-long is fun.

Hope this gives you a few ideas. Oh, and having a golf cart in our opinion was the best thing for our trip!

Hey frank you forgot the most important thing!!!!! BRING THE FISHIN ROD!!! Who need the stores or market when you can fish! :rotfl2: And just for the record Frank is right we like Publix the best also Have a ball K.

Well sometimes I have these little brain burps,,
it's a gettn old thingy.

Hi all....I have been looking at these forums for quite some time and finally jumped on board. My DW and I are taking 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter to stay at Cabins on 1-31-10. I have a few questions.

We rented a golf cart from Kenny. Is there somewhere to plug in the cart outside to re-charge it?

If there are plugs outside, have you ever seen anyone string lights on the deck, etc?

What is the best grocery store(s) to shop for groceries near Disney? We plan to eat most breakfasts and lunches at the Fort. Both kids still nap in the afternoon.

Any advice with the cabins or with young kids at Disney would be welcomed. Thanks.

Welcome to the boards. Here's some interesting irony: we'll be there the week after you - also our first time in a cabin, our kids are the same ages as yours (except both girls), and we rented a golf cart from Kenny! Hoping you can post some thoughts during or shortly after your trip!

Welcome to the boards. Here's some interesting irony: we'll be there the week after you - also our first time in a cabin, our kids are the same ages as yours (except both girls), and we rented a golf cart from Kenny! Hoping you can post some thoughts during or shortly after your trip!

Even funnier--we'll be there just before the OP. 1/20-1/26. 1st time in a cabin with our 2 daughters (2 & 5), golf cart from Kenny! It's a small DIS world! Can't wait--we leave in 7 days! :)

And heres something even funnier,,we wont be there and don't even have ressies yet but we were there in Oct. !!
Wait,,thats not funny,,
but we are gonna try'n get there this year , :thumbsup2

Don't forget to take pics !
And show them , popcorn::

:thumbsup2

I'll jump on the wagon... we're arriving 1/31 also, 1st time in cabin (first time at Disney in 10 years, first multi-day trip since '93). 3 kids, 8, 5, 2. And yes, renting a cart from Kenny.

What time are you planning to pick up your cart? Maybe he'll bring both at the same time?

flamtap

I'll jump on the wagon... we're arriving 1/31 also, 1st time in cabin (first time at Disney in 10 years, first multi-day trip since '93). 3 kids, 8, 5, 2. And yes, renting a cart from Kenny.

What time are you planning to pick up your cart? Maybe he'll bring both at the same time?

flamtap
We are planning to pick up the golfcart at 5pm on 1-31.

Thanks to all of you for the info! I camped at the fort with my family when I was a child. I remember loving just walking around, going to the trading posts, and the campfire movie, etc. I am really looking forward to taking the little ones for their first trip. Thanks and keep the tips coming!

Don't forget juice boxes water and snacks at the supermarket. When our kids were that age, having a snack and a drink was a life saver. Would always tide them over if we were in a line and they started getting restless.

One of our favorite meals at WDW is the takeout chicken from Trail's End. The Giddyup and Go bucket - one of the best bargains on the property and the fried chicken is really good. They also used to do a decent pizza, but we didn't get that this time so I can't be 100% sure they still do. We like to get off the ferry, grab a bucket of chicken and go hit the campfire or just go have a relaxing meal at the cabin.
The jelly jar style glasses in the cabin are a bit big for my teeny kids to handle, so I bring plastic cups for them, and also dixie cups for the bathroom.
The wine selection is slightly better at the Poly store than it is at the FW Outposts. (Um, I know that only for research purposes...) You will want to bring or buy wine glasses. We brought two in our carryon last trip. (Purely for guests to use) (We didn't have any guests, though, so we used them ourselves) Beer is really ridiculously overpriced at the Outposts, better to just buy one at Crocketts Tavern and drink it on the porch.

Thanks for the tips on the cups, indimom3. With a fridge in the cabin I think we'll be buying wine & beer at the local grocery!

-RT

That is definitely the cheapest option. We don't have a car while there, or we would do the same.
Oh, and I forget the age of your kids, but every time we go we have to call and request the sheets for the PacknPlay sleeper. So if you're arriving late at night, you might as well just ask for some to be delivered when you check in.

We will be there January 24-January 30. I have stayed in the cabins before though it has been like 20 years, but the rest of my family dh, ds, and 2dds have never been.

We will be bringing the bikes and most likely a fishing rod. Is there anything that we should remember to pack that we might need at the cabin (especially things we will need to use for cooking).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter