• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trip to DW....few questions

Baxhappyplace

Mouseketeer
We have been to DL several times but not DW.
Is there a thread we should read that explains stuff to us? One for the newbies.
We are renting a condo at Windsor Hills should we purchase MagicBands?
We will have a rental car, should we just park at the parks or is there an easier way to go?
We are going Dec 27 - Jan 4. We have five days at DW and two days at Universal. Which park would you go to for New Years Eve and which park for New Years Day?

Is there a thread we should read that explains stuff to us? One for the newbies.
We will have a rental car, should we just park at the parks or is there an easier way to go?
We are going Dec 27 - Jan 4. We have five days at DW and two days at Universal. Which park would you go to for New Years Eve and which park for New Years Day?
The main thing you should be aware of is that you have picked the very busiest time of year to go. Between Christmas and New Year's the crowds will be wall to wall, massive, hard to walk in or get many rides done. Prepare for that. You're DL vets so should know how to handle intense crowds. Also realize that WDW isn't usually like that in terms of crowds, only over major holidays, especially Christmas & New Year's.

I expected that but unfortunately it was the only time we could go. We normally go to DL during the summer and that is a crowd level of 9 so we are used to that. At DL we normally go first thing in the morning until noon and then go back and nap and then head back out at around 6pm until midnight. Hopefully we can do the same at DW to avoid the busiest part of the day.

If you plan on spending all 5 days at the parks, I recommend 2 at MK and 1 at each of EP, DHS & AK.

MBs aren't necessary, but do make it convenient for FP+ and paying for stuff.

If you're planning on driving every day, I would just park at the park your visiting for the day. However, I'd consider ditching the car rental and just using Uber the whole time.

Hydroguy is from southern California but has been to WDW numerous times. This post is a little dated but should be helpful.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/an-introduction-to-wdw-for-dlr-vets.1332683/#post-41121660

This post is the best I have seen for FP+

http://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/

Dining is different at WDW. You can make ADRs 180 days in advance and many restaurants get booked up early.

Plan for transportation time. I would drive given how offsite hotels transportation services work. Add time for the MK. You will have to take a tram from your parking space to the Ticket and Transportation Center where you will catch the monorail or ferry. There are park to park buses if you are hopping.

It looks like you will not be staying at a Universal deluxe hotel. You may want to explore their express pass depending on what dates you will be there. It is essentially a fastpass option for most of the rides. The Harry Potter attractions are not included. I have had some luck with shorter lines at the end of the evening. There is a Universal forum on this site and the people that frequently post there are very helpful.

Have fun.

Do you "need" Magic Bands? No, not really. But they're handy. Since you're not staying on property (we don't either), you can't use them for food or merchandise, but we like having them for park entry and use of FP+.

Yes, it will be crowded that week, but it's still manageable. Use the FP+ system for sure, rope drop parks and just have the right mind frame for big crowds and you'll be pleasantly surprised how much you get done. We were there for Xmas last year. MK on Christmas Day was insane, but the other parks were much more reasonable.

You will like Windsor Hills. We stayed there in February. It's a really nice condo complex. It's about 10-15 minutes from Disney, depending on traffic. Yes, park your car at the park you're visiting.

I expected that but unfortunately it was the only time we could go. We normally go to DL during the summer and that is a crowd level of 9 so we are used to that. At DL we normally go first thing in the morning until noon and then go back and nap and then head back out at around 6pm until midnight. Hopefully we can do the same at DW to avoid the busiest part of the day.

You likely will not be able to do that at MK on New Year's Eve as the park typically fills to capacity sometimes before noon. So if going to MK on New year's Eve you should plan to stay for the day with no "nap break".

Hey there. We always do Disney World for Christmas. I have a blog full of tips and tricks and wrote a free eBook at survivedisxmas.com.

As for things you need to do:
- Do the monorail loop. End at the Grand Floridian, which has the most beautifully decorated lobby.
- Check out the Wilderness Lodge. This will be easier, as you have a car.
- Get to the parks early. 12/27, 12/28 is when the NYE crowd files in. It'll start to get pretty crowded on 12/28 and the parks
- Prepare yourself. It's gonna be crowded, but it's also one of the best times of the year. Don't expect to see and do everything.
- Make ADRs (Advance Dining Reservations) if you plan on doing TS's. The ADR window is open and most likely going FAST!
- Plan your days. I know, some (most) people HATE planning every move. You can go as intricate as you'd like. Personally, we run an itinerary with our ADRs and go from there. We choose parks based on ADRs and hours. Then we plan our FP+. We have an hour-by-hour itinerary, but I'm a crazy Type A. Even if you're not a planner, you need to plan out the days or else you'll be lost with the crowds.
- "Splurge" for the Park Hopper. It's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme. If you get to MK and it's too crowded, you can hop over to EPCOT. The flexibility is amazing.
- I usually recommend taking a break in the afternoon. This is more of an on-site thing, as leaving the park puts off-site guests at the risk of being turned away if the crowds increase + you're not gonna wanna leave and come back. If you feel comfortable enough, take a break. If you're at MK, go on the monorail to the resorts and sit in the lobby. At EPCOT, walk over the boardwalk or the resorts. There are a few relaxing spots within the parks. Sit down and "milk" your lunch. Go to Tom Sawyer Island at MK; Do the "smaller rides" at EPCOT like Ellen's Energy (~30 mins sitting) or the Three Caballeros.

- On 12/30, go to Magic Kingdom. They do the NYE show that night (as well as 12/31.) They only thing that changes on 12/31 is the year. It's far less crowded and a nice opportunity to see the fireworks with smaller crowds. Don't get me wrong, it's still very crowded, but far less than 12/31.

- On NYE I'd do EPCOT. Sure, people are drinking and it's packed, but the show and experience is unforgettable. The ground literally shakes. Around 11:50 they celebrate each country's new year with fireworks over each pavilion. They conclude with a countdown to midnight and and incredible display over the lagoon.

The downfall for you is that because you're offsite, you'll need to get to the parks early. Sure, On-site guests also run the risk of being turned away due to phased closure, but it's much more likely for off-site guests. You'll DEFINITELY have to get there early on 12/31.

Prepare to stand in long lines. If you can't get a FP+ for rides, don't bother. If you can, space them out. It's not just an opportunity to ride something, it's a chance to sit! Bathroom lines will stretch longer than some rides and finding a table at QS spots will be like winning the lottery. MAKE A RESERVATION SOMEWHERE. Again, you're not just eating, you're sitting! I know this sounds torturous, but I promise it's totally worth it. Around 6 or 7pm the park switches from a VERY crowded park to a gigantic party, with DJs and live music throughout the World Showcase.

One MORE THING!
It's your first trip. Enjoy it. You don't know when it's gonna come around again. If something doesn't go to plan, shrug your shoulders and learn from it.

- I'd recommend getting in all the classic, nostalgic Disney things. Rides like Small World, Peter Pan and the Mountains at Disney. See all the parades and the nighttime shows.

- You're gonna feel compelled to see and do everything. It's not possible with the crowds, so really take the time to weigh what's important.

- Most of all, take a second to appreciate being in Disney. Stand on Main Street and just stare at the castle for a minute or two. Tour the countries of EPCOT. No, don't just stop at a cart or look at the buildings, GO INTO THE PAVILIONS.

- Eat a Dole Whip (Polynesian is the real one), Eat a Mickey Bar, share a pretzel.

Last edited:
Be careful of doing that on certain days, especially New Year's Eve. The parks often close due to capacity on New Year's Eve & the days preceding, so you might find yourself locked out of the New Year's fireworks if you go back to the resort mid-day.

Also realize that transportation to & from your offsite hotel will take a lot longer than it would at DL, especially given the holiday crowds. Expect traffic jams getting in and out.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news. Just trying to make sure you're prepared.

Last edited:
Disney World at Christmas is so amazing! As long as you are prepared for the crowds, I think you'll have a wonderful time.

Parking at the parks is your only option. Unless you want to Uber and avoid driving altogether. Either way, just take into account extended travel and parking times due to high holiday volume.

Epcot on NYE is so much fun with different countries celebrating in different ways. Not sure the ages of your family, but I would pick Epcot for NYE.
Make sure to visit the hotels and check out their decorations. They are all beautiful!

I would advise to stay in the parks as well once you are there. They will likely hit max capacity at least once or twice, and as you are staying offsite, you will be among the first that will be prohibited from getting back in.

I want to add a site that we use often, easywdw.com. Josh is the owner of the site which includes crowd calendars with recommended parks, touring plans for each of the parks and reviews of foods. He is co-author with Dave Shute (**************.net) of The Easy Guide to Your First Visit to Walt Disney World. I have it even though we have been to WDW many times.

The main thing you should be aware of is that you have picked the very busiest time of year to go. Between Christmas and New Year's the crowds will be wall to wall, massive, hard to walk in or get many rides done. Prepare for that. You're DL vets so should know how to handle intense crowds. Also realize that WDW isn't usually like that in terms of crowds, only over major holidays, especially Christmas & New Year's.

You likely will not be able to do that at MK on New Year's Eve as the park typically fills to capacity sometimes before noon. So if going to MK on New year's Eve you should plan to stay for the day with no "nap break".

Don't worry about the crowds. We have gone the last 10 years at the exact same time (we will be there this year also). Yes its crowed but it is managable. We have never entered a park for the evening before 5pm and we have never been turned away. You are staying off site so this may have an impact on you getting in. We ALWAYS stay on site. I would never want to deal with the traffic on NYE. Staying on site makes it all OK. Staying at an Epcot resort and going to DHS or Epcot works best for us. Maybe we get lucky on the park we pick but we have done Epcot, DHS, and MK. We base our evening on where we want to have dinner. I would never get there at noon and stay all day - way ot long a day. MK is OK - you can't have a drink and toast the New Year. I'm not a huge drinker but I like a NYE toast. Epcot is wonderful. SO FUN!! DHS is very good. We usually liked enjoying osbourn lights that night but with that gone I think we will go to Epcot this year.

I di dont read ever post but I did read a few

1 if you are staying off site you can not use a MB to charge thing and you do not need one but you can get one if you would like.

I would stay at the parks as they do close it is a good drive from one end of disney to the other could take about 20 to 30 minute drive and that is on disney so ( and I have no idea where you are staying could be a 30 minute drive or short) if you really need to leave the parks then maybe go to a near by hotel you can take a buss so you do not have to drive and walk around.

make sure you know what parks you are going to go to and book your FP 30 days before your first day for all your days. some parks have tird system where you get to pick one of the top 3 or 4 rides at the park and then 2 form the other ride ( they do this at EPCOT and HS) and have a good touring planes you can find some sites that will give you some good tips ( I have never used one) you will not get to do every thing so do not try

I know on the fourth of july MK had some amazing fire works not sure if they do for new year I have heard they do but they will be more then worth seeing if they do.

Hello and welcome to WDW planning! We had the joy of heading west in June and spending 5 days at Disneyland/DCA and a few days exploring southern California.

We have a December trip thread HERE if you'd like to join in. We've recently been talking touring strategy over there, among other things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter