First trip to Disneyland Paris

Aust

DIS Veteran
I'm off to Disneyland Paris in February next year, just for one and a bit days, but want to make the most of it. I've done a lot of reading on e Paris boards and also some other websites, but would be great to get some Aussie/NZ perspective and tips. So I'd love any information from anyone! Where to stay, what to see and do, where to eat, any interesting or hidden things to seek out, anything about booking from Australia, using Disney Express from the Eurostar, how it compares to Disneyland in California, or anything else. So far all we have booked is the Eurostar from London. Also has anyone been in late February? How cold is it? Thanks

I've just found your thread! Obviously I've already replied to some of your questions on the other thread.

Where to eat depends on how long you're willing to take out of park time. If you can manage it, I would really recommend Walt's. Table service restaurants will only be open for lunch at that time of year, so you'll probably struggle to fit anywhere else in.

We were there the last week of February this year, and it coincided with school holidays in southern France. It was supposed to still be a quiet time, but the lines were the longest I've encountered at a Disney park. If that's the case for you, make sure you shortlist your 'must-dos' and focus on doing them first.

If you're a thrill-seeker, make sure you do Space Mountain. It's the best version by far in my book, definitely bigger on thrills :thumbsup2 Other rides that are 'same but different' that you might want to try are Phantom Manor, BTM and POTC. Buzz Lightyear seemed to be very popular and was pretty much the same as other versions, so if you're short on time I would give it a miss. And their version of Indiana Jones is an actual rollercoaster. The queue was well-themed, and the ride was fun, but I wouldn't rush back there. Make sure you check out Alice's Curious Labyrinth - great fun! The parade is nothing special, don't bother to spend precious time staking out a good spot.

The Studios is kind of similar to Movieworld. There's not that much of interest there, but make sure you get over there for Crush's Coaster. Get there at opening and go straight there to avoid lengthy queues. If you're not quite quick enough, we found it was better to go and shop/have breakfast for 20 mins or so and go back. The line was actually 15-20 minutes shorter. But whatever you do, don't leave it until the afternoon. Also in the studios is RNR and TOT if you're into them (but they are the same as other versions). Do not bother with Armageddon. I still don't even really know what it was supposed to be, just a big waste of time. There are a couple of shows. Cinemagique was clever and worth seeing. Animagique was cute, but missable if you're short on time. I wouldn't even bother with the car stunt show - it's the same stuff you see everywhere. Also Toy Story Land might be worth checking out for something different if you haven't been to HKDL. The parade over there is kind of different with the characters riding in their cars, but again, not worth spending precious time waiting for. You should be able to get a decent spot without waiting anyway. Try near RNR if you're interested.

Whatever you do, make sure you see Dreams at least once. It is the best Disney show I've seen. You don't need to stake out a spot far in advance if you're happy to have a few heads in the way - the view of the show is fine from further back. We stood on the edge of the footpath to at least get a bit of height. If you can get a spot behind one of the garden beds, I highly recommend it, but they're usually the first to go and you won't have time to spend hours waiting in the cold!

As I have mentioned, be prepared for it to be cold. We spent time in Switzerland and Austria on the same trip, going up mountains. We were coldest at DLP. And you may or may not get snow. Layer up!

DLR is my very favourite park, as I think you can really feel Walt's prescence. However, DLP is very beautiful and well worth seeing. The CMs are not as 'out there' as the ones in the US, but most of them were friendly and happy to be there, and wanted to talk to us about our travels and Australia.

In Paris itself, be warned that the Eiffel Tower is closed when it snows. So if the weather is a bit dodgy over there and you really want to go up, make sure you do it when you've got a bit of a clearing. We went to the Arc de Triomphe instead, which was still open, but with a small section closed off. Paris is very easy to get around on the train, so you can save money on accommodation by not staying right in the touristy area. We did a Fat Tire bike tour which was fun, and I surprised mum with a carriage ride, which was pretty magical in the snow.

Anyway, this is turning into an essay. If you have any specific questions, yell out. Feel free to check out my TR (in my signature) to read about all the details. You can skip straight to the Paris/DLP sections.

Thanks for all the info, I'll read your trip report then be back with questions!

I did read it would be school holidays there, bad timing but we'll just have to manage. I'll make my list of must-do's and use Fastpass to try and avoid big line ups. Also it will just be 3 adults so we can skip a lot of the kiddy rides (except Dumbo because I love that ride!) Also I am not big on shows so can focus on rides instead.

I was toying with the idea of skipping the Studios and just doing Disneyland Park, however Tower of Terror is my favourite ride at DL in California so I want to go just to ride that. I'd also like to ride Rock N Rollercoaster as I haven't been to WDW. Crush's Coaster sounds great but not sure we'll be able to manage it as I plan on doing the Studios the afternoon we arrive, but will see how we go.

Really looking forward to Space Mountain, love the DL version but overdid it on the second last trip and got bored of it, then the last trip it was the Ghost Galaxy version which I didn't like.

We will be there in mid-January, and have been able to book dinner at some restaurants.

The CM in dining was great - she said - "Oh, I will book you in for this time, we don't want you to miss the fireworks that night' :)

Really looking forward to Space Mountain, love the DL version but overdid it on the second last trip and got bored of it, then the last trip it was the Ghost Galaxy version which I didn't like.

You may get a shock ;) I certainly did when Space Mountain shot me at that speed out the canon after being used to the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland's. It's fun though! I did it 8 times until the restraints started to bruise my shoulders.

If the Tour Eiffel is out of action due to weather you could also try Tour Montparnasse (see my TR) - I do not know what their winter times are like but it was very quiet and unique in that you can get the Eiffel Tower in the picture. You can get there easily on one of the Metro lines. I second almost all of Zanzibar's comments (and hers are more relevant as she was there in winter like you) except we did actually like the parade that was on when we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter