• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trip to Disney World

grayson'smommy

Earning My Ears
I am taking my 2 year old son to Disney World in 2 weeks, along with my mother. We are all very excited, but this is our first trip! We will be celebrating his 3rd birthday while we are there. I've booked at the Polynesian, have the Dining plan, told everyone I've spoken to that it's our first trip & and a Birthday Celebration as well, did Park Hopper tickets, planned for the Magical Express to transport us from the airport, made a few ADR's for character meals. I've even ordered a gift to be waiting for him in the room when we get there. But, I'm at a loss on spending money, rides suitable for him, & FastPasses. Any help I would so greatly appreciate! I am new to this site as well, & I'm probably doing this wrong too.
Thanks!
Traci

Welcome to the DIS boards. When I celebrated my umpteenth birthday at Disneyland we went to guest services and got a birthday badge/pin with my name on it and whenever we were at the parks, cast members kept calling me by name and wishing me a happy birthday. Your son will love that. Our waitress also gave us a freebie dessert at one of the restaurants. 8^)

If you get "The Unofficial Guide to DisneyWorld with Kids" you will find it extremely helpful. It will tell you all about the rides and the "fright" factor as well as what is best for little ones. It's excellent!

I am taking my 2 year old son to Disney World in 2 weeks, along with my mother. We are all very excited, but this is our first trip! We will be celebrating his 3rd birthday while we are there. I've booked at the Polynesian, have the Dining plan, told everyone I've spoken to that it's our first trip & and a Birthday Celebration as well, did Park Hopper tickets, planned for the Magical Express to transport us from the airport, made a few ADR's for character meals. I've even ordered a gift to be waiting for him in the room when we get there. But, I'm at a loss on spending money, rides suitable for him, & FastPasses. Any help I would so greatly appreciate! I am new to this site as well, & I'm probably doing this wrong too.
Thanks!
Traci

Just so you're not disappointed, I don't believe they can have anything in your room waiting for you before you check-in unless you're staying club level. Most likely whatever it is you have ordered will be delivered to your room sometime after your arrival.

Thanks so much all your help so far! Not staying Club level, so thanks for the warning =). As long as it does eventually make it to the room, I'll be happy. Please keep the great tips coming. :)

Contemporary is a great choice with a young child. We stayed there when our youngest was three. The ability to walk to and from the MK was great if the monorail is packed and it was a couple of times that trip.

Things to do -

MK -

Dumbo, Peter Pan, Snow White (the witch can be scary for some), Pooh, the carousel, It's a Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, Mickey's Philarmagic, Mickey and Minnie meet and greet, Carousel of Progress to cool down and the People Mover (I think 0 they just changed the name again) for some quiet time.

Epcot -

There aren't too many rides for tots. The Grand Fiesta Tour in Mexico and The Seas with Nemo and friends might be the best. There are crowds and sights so you may be able to stroll around with your son being entertained. There are also some performers like the Jamminators that he may find interesting.

DHS -

Playhouse Disney, Muppets 3 D, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast

Animal Kingdom -

There is a play area in Dinoland, the Safari, Triceratop Spin, the Tree of Life

I take $1000 spending cash and always come back with at least $200-$300 we do tend to go overboard on the souvies but it's ok we only go every 3 years..I would say you did good on the location of your resort..I have always wanted to do the gift in the room thing and I may just do that next trip as we will be celebrating my sons graduation and him going off to the Marines so it isn' just a graduation celebration as the last 2 have been :cool1:

Awwww you all are going to have such a great time!!! Most all the ride in Fantasy Land are great for the little ones, it is also a great place to start to get the little one used to riding rides. You need to try to get to Fantasy Land as soon as the park opens, as this part of the park is always crowded. In Tommorrow Land, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is a good one, in Andventure Land, the Jungle Cruise and the Magic Carpet ride, Pirates is a maybe, I have seen young one love it, and some little ones scared to death, if he is afraid of the dark any at all I would avoid this one, as well as the Haunted Mansion. Hope this helps.....

Oh and don't forget to get your 1st time pins, and a birthday pin for your son!! They give them out for free!!

I second getting to fantasyland early to avoid wait times. Long lines and a toddler are not a good combo but if u make rope drop, u can get those major rides done with little to no wait. We went this April (spring break) and last aug so peak times and in about an hr rode: dumbo, pooh, Peter pan, tea cups and the carousel (in that order). Highly recommend rope drop :goodvibes

Well sad news for me, I haven't been to Disney World but surely me and my friends will reach out there and will have a blast...Countdown begins..

My niece loved the show at the opening to the Magic Kingdom in the morning. The characters come out and sing a song, ride the train. You can watch a video on youtube.
-Also, get your son a haircut at the barber shop on Main Street and take lots of photos. I recommend waiting until the afternoon as it gets busy in the morning.
-There is a line of videos/ DVDs for little ones that features real kids and the Disney costumed characters. My son LOVED these and we watched them over and over.They are only about 20 minutes long. He was never afraid of the characters and I think the videos are the reason why. They always have them at the library or at Toys r us.
-Actually, my son was two and we took him on everything, Pirates, Haunted
Mansion. The ONLY ride he didn't like was Its a Bug's Life. I would skip Snow White too. That WITCH is scary!
-Look into reading about Child Swap, if there is a ride you and your Mom, as adults, really want to do. You'll have to ride alone but hey I wouldn't want to miss Soarin or Rockin Roller Coaster!
-Always have a fast pass. Have a person who is the designated FAst Pass runner. It makes the trip so much easier.
-Toilets are auto flush so prepare your child for that if you think it might spook him. Some people put POST ITS over the eye to keep it from flushing.
-Bring a stroller rain cover if you have one. It poured when we were there one afternoon. The stroller cover allowed us to keep our stroller dry for the next days busy schedule. Have a wonderful trip with your little one.

One thing I generally recommend is to interact with various CastMembers, and be sure and tell them its a first trip. Some of them will undoubtedly go out of their way.

Also, I would suggest that if he has a favorite character that you make a point to find that character in the park. The character interactions are priceless. If he doesn't have one, pick a few that he might enjoy that aren't threatening (like Pooh for instance).

And be sure to take everything at HIS pace. Rushing around will only make you all frazzled. Enjoy it through his eyes.:cool2:

At that age, he may be on the verge of giving up his nap. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AT WDW!!! You will see people all around you with kids having melt downs. Most of those folks were at rope drop and are still there at 8 pm. Don't miss your mid-day rest period.

The other very important tip is to arrive early and stock up on FP's. You can use them for after your nap and walk right om rides while ohers wait in longer lines. Our rule of thumb is we never use a FP before 5 pm. Long story, but we just keep getting new FP's as our window opens and go on a ride spree in the evening.

Finally.... the most important newbie tip in my opinion is....... Stay in the moment. Don't worry about trying to do everything (you cannot do it all in one trip), worry only about enjoying everything you do get to do and focus on the light in his eye as he takes in all the magic!!!

Have Fun!

He will be able to go on most everything except the thrill rides and the height rec. are in the park guide books you can get at your hotel. Bring some snacks with you into the prk, take a midday break, use a stroller and just have fun. We went with my 2 yr 4 mo old grandson and he had a ball. He loved the characters and he loved the resort pool best. My DD also had bought a kiddy leash at Walmart and although I thought it might look cruel it was great as it allowed him to walk some and was great waiting in lines. It was a stuffed dog on his back and the tail was the leash...very good purchase. Also bring sunscreen and a sippy cup or water bottle into the parks with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter