first trip, help please!!

rebelmom

Mouseketeer
Me my Dh, Ds 10 and Dd 5 are taking our first trip to disney Aug 2-9 staying at the ASMO, I found these boards a couple of months ago and really appreciate all the info I have found here. Here is a rough draft of my trip plan so far, by the way we have UPH's.

Sat Aug 2:
flight arrives at 11:00, get bags, towncar to hotel, checkin
Head to MGM
ps for sci fi at 3:45pm
Parade at 5:30 if poss.

Sun Aug 3:
EE at MK
ps at 9:45am for Cindy's:) :Pinkbounc
hotel for nap/swim
Epoct for evening and Illuminations

Mon Aug 4:
Blizzard Beach
hotel nap/change
MGM
ps Hollywood and Vine 6:00pm
Fantasmic

Tues Aug 5:
Epcot
hotel nap
Hoop Dee Doo 7:15pm
MK for eride night???

Wed Aug 6:
Clearwater beach day trip
eve disney quest dep on when we get back

Thurs Aug 7:
ps Donald's Breakfastasarus 8:10am
AK
hotel nap,swim
water mice rental?
ps Whispering Canyon dinner 7:00pm
Downtown disney, boardwalk??

Friday Aug 8:
Typhoon Lagoon
hotel nap
MK
ps crystal palace dinner 6:45pm
Spectro 9pm
E ride night???

Sat Aug 9:
?? breakfast
leave for airport at 10:30 am
flight leaves at 12:40pm

Anything I missed? Better ideas?
This is our first trip and probably our only trip so we want to do as much as possible with out dropping dead. lol. I figure we can rest when we go back to work.:Pinkbounc

I don't know if Iron Man Atheletes could keep up that schedule. You better start training now.
wiggle2.gif

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time. Just curious, why will this probably be your only trip to the world?

Looks like a pretty well-thought-out itinerary. You'll be tired in the evenings, but I doubt you'll collapse or anything. (A lot depends on your 5 year old's stamina, of course!)

Hope you have a wonderful time!

as long as you are getting out of the park for some r&r you should be ok - don';t be shocked though if your vacation is work... I mean for myself... I worked at it so everyone else could just relax and cruise... I was itinerary planner, scheduler, time keeper... my daughter was immersed in fantasy land ...I saw it as my job to make sure everything went smoothly for her...so yeah we were tired because we did early mornings and were up way past her bed time everynight (she's 7)...mid way in the trip we went home early (noon) and relaxed...she finally napped....etc...

one hint - go to wdw website - cut and paste all the rides and attractions .... I created seperate ride lists for each park...sat down with dd and read them to her and she chose what she wanted to do... that way when we arrived all we had to do was let me coordinate getting it all done. We did not do everything she wanted to do (missed maybe 3 or 4 things) ... but because of the approach I took letting her have "control" choosing befforehand what rides to do...she was left with the impression that we did everything she wanted to do...she is one happy camper

Looks good. Just remember to be very flexable. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Originally posted by snuggles
Looks good. Just remember to be very flexable. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Snuggles is right. For us, being flexible meant that after the first 3 hours in the park on our very first trip (and after MONTHS of detailed planning), we DUMPED the schedule and just hung out where we saw things that looked like fun.

I had a hard time getting past the schedule and plans that we HAD had, but in the end, the kids (yes, hubby too LOL) had a fantastic and enjoyable first trip.

You never can see it all, and after more than 10 trips, we still have yet to see everything!

Have a wonderful time!!
(I think your schedule looks great. You've got some down-time planned and that helps with the park burnout that can happen.)

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Simbanoodle: it will probably be our only trip due to financial reasons, it has taken us almost 3 years to put back enough money for this trip, and we are trying to purchase a new home, so after this year it will be back to short weekend trips for us for quite a while. Thats why I want this trip to be as great as possible, it is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid, and I think my kids are at good ages to enjoy it and hopefully remember it.

you have put together a loaded plan. I can"t stress enough to rest everyday no matter how your kids feel. we just returned and used a pedometer on our youngest son and at the end of seven day he walked thirty two miles thats just parks. we went back to the room everyday and not one complaint that his legs were going to fall off . I would remember to be flexible sometimes things have to be sacrificed to keep your sanity and the health of your family good luck :)

Thanks, I tried to plan a rest period into every day, i also planned the beach/relaxation day into the middle of the trip. We are also bringing an umbrella stroller my 5 year old in case she gets to tired and needs a break.

Originally posted by rebelmom
Mon Aug 4:
Blizzard Beach
hotel nap/change
MGM
ps Hollywood and Vine 6:00pm
Fantasmic

My only question/comment - are you doing the Fantasmic Dinner Package or are you just planning on having dinner at H&V and then getting regular seating for Fantasmic? If you are doing the FDP (which I personally recommend), I just wanted to make sure that you knew that you had to specifically book the package. Some people make the mistake of just making a regular PS and then expect to get the reserved seating for Fantasmic.

it is for the package, but thanks for looking out for me. I love these boards and appreciate all your help. Anything else I am missing or should do different? All input is appreciated.

The problem with doing half days, with a return to the resort mid-day is that if you have a late night, then it may be a real drag to try to get to a park in time to do much before it is time to return for a nap/swim. etc. You have to factor in transit time to and from two parks daily. If you do Fantasmic, Illuminations, or E-night then it will be pretty late before you actually get back to the room and get to sleep. Then if you need to be up at 7:00 the next morning, day after day, you will likely find that some, if not all, are cranky and not having a good time. The ONLY solution is sleeping in one day, which might be a problem if it falls on a day when that morning is scheduled for a park at which your family really has a lot they would like to do.

I would ditch the Typhoon Lagoon plans and plan to go back to whatever park your family feels that they didn't get to cover fully. Believe it or not, the half day here, then trek back to the room, then trek to another park -- all with early mornings and late nights and lots of exercise -- will get to you quickly. I guess I am just saying that odds are the commando approach will lead to a revolt and you should have a little wiggle room later in the week so that you can give in when the family won't get up one morning as scheduled!

I think it looks great!!

My tip would be buy a stroller from Wal-mart(if you don't already have one)-we bought one for my bro when he was little for like 20 bucks and it had a basket in the bottom and held up for years) and bring it for the 5 year old...it will save you money(and time) by not having to rent a stroller from the parks

CLEARWATER!! I love it there...it's SOOO pretty! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter