First trip for kids...11 months or 16 months?

Fall1

DIS Veteran
DH and I are planning our frist trip with our children! We are deciding between May or October 2008. Our twins will be 11 months in May or 16 months in October. Does anyone think either age is better or worse?

Thanks!

Hmmm, I would think that 11 months would probably be better (people may think I'm crazy). My reasoning is that at both ages the children won't really remember other than what they see in pictures, at both they will be amazed at looking around but at 11 months they'll probably be more content to sit in a stroller while you're walking around the park where by 16 months they're starting to get more restless but not definitely old enough to get out and walk at the park (depends on how well they're doing with walking - depends on the child). Basically they might be more compliant at 11 months. That said we're going with our 22 month old (and an almost 5 year old) in October so I'm sure we're crazy!!!
Good luck either way. As long as you work around their schedules and remember that kids will be kids no matter the setting so you might have to change plans according to the kids then you can have fun at any age!
~Christy

That is a tough one but I think I would pick 16 months. By then they will be able to run around and play in the play areas. We just took DS (18m) and it was my favorite trip of all time. Watching him interacting and playing was so much fun. He also really enjoyed the pool.

At 11 months my DS wanted to crawl everywhere and I was really grossed out at the idea of him crawling in a hotel room or public. The older they get the easier they are too feed (unless exclusively nursing), no worries about formula, milk, baby food, etc.

In my experience May is hotter and more crowded than Oct. When we went in May there were tons of preteens and teens on school trips making the park more crowded. I would pick Oct over May if I was planning a trip.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way. I am sure you will have a wonderful trip no matter what you choose!

I think either time is fine! We took our daughter for the first time at 14 months and she loved it. So did her cousin, who was 17 months. You'll have more time to plan if you go in October!

:surfweb: I vote for 16 months... I have been when my son was 13 months and he wasn't nearly engaged it all that was happening and going on as my son who will be 17 months when we go this April. There is a lot of growth in those 5 months! I think you will see alot more interaction and awarenss of whats going on areound them! Just my 2 cents! :wizard: No matter what - it will still be Magical!! :wizard:

We've decided on October when they'll be 16 months! Now for the fun part.....the planning!! Can't wait!

We've decided on October when they'll be 16 months! Now for the fun part.....the planning!! Can't wait!

This is a great time of year to vist WDW! We went just after Hurrican Katrin and had amazing weather! Had it not been for the storm, the crowds are usually pretty small/light - it wouldn't have been super busy! Not to mention that you will be there in a less expensive season - even better!!

We took our first son when he was 16 months old. We had a blast! He was at a great age and really took to everything. We just took our second son this past September and he was almost 11 months. I really noticed a difference. While the 11 month old did enjoy himself he still had a lot of baby traits. We had to nap longer and he was difficult sleeping in the hotel room. They both enjoyed the characters,however the 16 month old really responded to them. I think you might the right choice. We took our son in October as well, it is a great time to visit! Have fun!)

We took our first daughter when she was 18 months and she had a fantastic time playing in the water spots and meeting the characters. We are returning this August with second daughter who will be 10 months. Bit worried about heat but as both me and hubbie are teachers, August school holidays are our best option! Hope you have a great time in October!

I would go when its cheaper give the choice of those two ages. That said, I will point out that there are plenty of places the babies can go that the stroller can't, so you want to bring front carriers or slings (no backpacks that you would have to take off getting on a ride), and the babies will weigh less at 11 mos than 16.

We just went with our 10 1/2 month old twins and it was very easy, but I wouldn't base it on age as much as on crowd levels. I would definitely pick the slower time of year. Is there much difference between May or October? I would think October would be slower, except for MNSSHP.

My DD is 15 months right now, and we have come to terms with the fact that we cannot take her out to restaurants at this time because she just wont sit still for more than 5 minutes! Having said that, I would go at 11 months because you can controll them more, hence everyone has a better time.
Sarah

We took Cullen to Disneyland at 11 months, he had a great time and was very well behaved wasn't scared on any of the rides and got soooo much attention at our character meal cause he was so cute. However, that said I would suggest 16 months (which you have decided on anyway) because at Disneyland there weren't very many places he could crawl around (I don't have problems with hotels etc) but to be nice to his knees it is nice to have grass, sand etc to crawl on and there wasn't much of it. At least at 16 months they can run around and still be happy to nap and sit in the stroller.

And to go against my own advise (cause we had airpoints to use up) we will be taking our kids in October and Seth will only be 10 months, I am hoping WDW is a little more friendly for crawling tots :)

Kirsten

We jsut did Ava at 14 mths in Sept......my friends took their son at 12 mths....its amazing how quicky they change at this stagae in their lives by months!!

I would go with 16 mths:) YOu may get better photos with a toddler running around, etc....
Just my opinion:)

Good choice! At least the weather should be slightly cooler for you and the twins. Try to see if you can make it to one the MNSSHP nights so that they can go in costume to the MK and trick-or-treat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter